Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I want to sell my student model Yamaha YAS 23 alto sax, but I'm not sure what a good price would be. It was purchased new about two and a half years ago (september of 2004). It has no dents, and very minor scratches. Keywork is perfect. There is one screw missing on the low e-flat guard, but it is being held in place with no problems by the other two screws. It has no high F#, being a student model yamaha, but this yamaha has a suprisingly good range in the altissimo. My friend and I have both hit up to the first altissimo "d" on this sax. It could just be us, but i think the sax has something to do with it as well. It is going to be sold with the standard neck and 4C mouthpiece, with the normal metal lig and a rovner deluxe lig. Thanks in advance.

Hopefully this will help pay for the unison 2000 i just bought

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$500 is still a lot of money though

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
That is in fresh out of the box condition. The sad truth is that their are simply to many of these horns floating around, for you to get anythign decent for it. If you tried to e-bay it. You would get the same for a Conn Shooting Star, or a Selmer Bundy. Their is simply almost no market. If you have to sell it talk to a local music store. Maybe they can take it off of you. But it may not be worth it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's all i really wanted to know. my parents just don't want me having two altos lying around. they don't like to see things go to waste. i guess i could always keep it as a backup. i'll think it over. thanks for the help

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's an excellent point, countspatula. if my school's marching band actually starts doing some heavy duty marching, then it might come in handy. right now, all we do are football games, and for that all we do is sit in the stands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
I wouldn't even sit in the stands with my best/only alto. Even if YOU are careful, the guy scooting out to buy a coke might not be.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone. i think i'm just gonna hang on to the yamaha.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
jthekk2 said:
thanks everyone. i think i'm just gonna hang on to the yamaha.
good choice. I wouldn't sit in the stands with the unison. Too much stuff happens. Going into freshman year my bundy was in really good condition..hardly any scratches, etc. Now it is completely covered with scratches and looks ugly. Not what I'd want any of my main gig horns to look like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Under the circumstances, I might even try selling the 23 for ~$500 on ebay in August (getting ready for school) and pick up a 23 that is in good mechanical shape but worse cosmetics for around $300. Check your local pawn shops! Bring your own mouthpiece and reeds!!! Use the extra $$ for a nice mouthpiece!

Jacobeid is right . . . your nice 23 is not likely to stay that way, and your going to see its value plummet as it gets beat up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's some sound advice. i have a meyer mouthpiece right now that i have with the 23 (my yani is for my unison, horrible sound on the 23). i might consider selling the 23 to a neighbor of mine who wants to pick up the sax. 500 shouldnt be too much, and its just as good as the new 23 models. i'll look into purchasing a more "beat-up" 23, for lack of better words, when school starts to roll around

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I wouldnt wait to long for buying a 23. People will start getting desperate for them around August. So if you are going to buy one then you better do it quick.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I always thought it was funny (some ppl may shoot me for laughing) but my dumb friend has a Mark VI alto. Well me including the local University teacher AND our director recommended him not using it for marching...and at one football game I was chilling next to him and he had it sitting down...and this like 6 year old kid stepped right on top of it...hahaha.

And then he left his horn at the band hall after school ended (I had half of a mind to just take it lmao...but I feel bad cuz he over-payed for it...)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i can clearly see the moral of this story

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
personally I would not sell your 23. Because you don't know if the one that you pick up next will be comprabal to the one you have now. What ind of work it could need etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts