Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learning to play the sax for just over a month now, and I have been "hooked". I just try to go in my music room and practice whenever I can. Unfortunately I'm still very early in my learning, and I am afraid not to mess things up. My music teacher, whom I visit only once a week told me to try and use some self-learning guide or app, and we would take things further from there. I found an app called tonestro a week ago, and decided to give it a try, since they were offering a free trial for their premium version. To be honest I don't know whether it is because of the app, or simply because I've been practicing every day - but I feel that I'm getting better. I've even tried to take their weekly challenge (and failed miserably) but it has been so nice to improve my playing, and do it in a game type of setting. What are your thoughts on using self-learners on a very early stage? Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Stay with it. It's good to start with a learning tool that is fun and easy without frustration. Tonestro is a very good start. Have fun learning to play this great instrument. Also a good teacher to monitor your playing to be sure no bad habits are being developed is a good thing. Once you get all your notes and fingerings down I invite you to try my easy licks and phrases method...but don't rush yourself. Continue learning the basics and chromatic notes the way you have been learning, then my method can help add to your playing when your ready.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will sure continue on doing it, although I consider it to be a hobby of mine, but I am taking it very seriously and enjoying the whole process of learning and developing a lot. I will definitely check your method once I am ready, thanks for the invite!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,232 Posts
Did the teacher have a specific app in mind? You might have a different one. It seems a bit vague.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is quite a biased situation(atleast at first glance), because he knows one of the creators of the app. But he assured me that he had tried it, and approves it as viable. He was open enough to tell me that in advance, so I decided to give it a try. I'll playing with it for some time, and see where this leads me :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
PS. What is some good silencer that I could use, so that I could play at night as well?
I am using a best brass one, got it for Christmas I think it is around 150euro. Ive read that Yamaha has some good ones. I would suggest that you should go to your local music supply shop and see what they have, and actually test it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at these impractical in general, but seemingly awesome for home use - Thomann boxes. Has anyone used one? And are we in the 21st century or what :) Using a digital app to learn how to play with an instrument inside a digital silencer. I find comfort in what Mr. Davis said - "Fear no mistakes, there are none." I hope that he was right, and we are not drifting too far from what playing is about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts