Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking into finally purchasing a high quality clip on mic for my Alto saxophone. I want to use it for home studio recordings as well as live performances.

I am currently looking into buying the AMT LS. Dave Liebman is using one live (at least that's what the ad on their site claims ;)).

Another guy at a music shop was saying great things about SD Systems, but their website is pretty inconvenient to figure what model would suit me best and I couldn't find a lot of opinions on those mics on the web.

Another part of me also asks whether or not it might be good to just buy Shure Beta 98 or Audio Technica ATM 350 and get a good bang for the buck. How big of a difference would higher quality mics make in a live environment really? One can get ATM 350 for a ridiculous price new on ebay.

Thanks for any help beforehand,
Gennadiy

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The AMT LS mic is a very high quality , low feedback mic. On the ISO ring it has no keynoise transmission. Depending on how hard you close the keys this could be an issue on the the other mics as they have no suspension ring. I use the AMT LS with my wireless sytem, Roam 1 Elite. Every sound man I have worked with has asked about my mic and complimented me on it. Some of them knew that mic very well and all had great things to say about it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Saxxsymbol is absolutely correct.

We have a 3-man horn section in the show band and we have used modified Roam 1 Elites for 4 years. They have the best response for a working set-up, albeit somewhat pricey.

On a budget Though, the Shure PGX4 system with a Beta 98HC can't go wrong!

·
Registered
99 Posts
DPA 4099s with it's adaptor system can be used for both live wireless and studio. I just purchased the DPA 4099s with a Shure SLX system and am very happy with it. My sound man was also very happy with it. It's not cheap, but the deciding factor for me was that it was very functional in that I could use it both live and in my home studio.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Since it's not easy to get DPA in my area, I ordered AMT LS, the wired version for now (looking into upgrading to wireless as soon as the budget will allow :)).

I will keep you updated, hopefully with recordings after I receive my Shadow Alto back from the repair shop :)

Thanks again for your quick and helpful responses,
Gennadiy

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Saxxsymbol is absolutely correct.

We have a 3-man horn section in the show band and we have used modified Roam 1 Elites for 4 years. They have the best response for a working set-up, albeit somewhat pricey.
In what way have you modified them? I've done some tweaks to the clamp, but that's about it.

Regards,

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've been using the wired AMT LS system for years and am very happy with it. That said, I did some extensive modification to how the mic connects to the power pack/preamp. I mount the preamp on my horn, with a very short cable (just a few inches) from the preamp to the cable. I had that cable fail on me a few times over the years, and made a female plug on the base of the mic, where I plug in the cable. I sent a photo of the mod to the manufacturer, but never heard back from them. Of course, it was long out of warranty when I did this mod. If your interested I can post photos.

I also use 7 AAA nimh batteries in the power pack, in place of the 9-volt battery, and have a digital voltmeter installed in it to show how much power I have left in the batteries. Yes, I have a lot of free time!

·
Registered
439 Posts
In what way have you modified them? I've done some tweaks to the clamp, but that's about it.

Regards,
Hey Stephen!
Our road manager made new shockmounts for the mics to float better replacing the cheap rubber they came with with a better quality material (IDK what it is, I'll ask). Yes, he also modded the clamps to not damage bells by overtightening. Also, the transmitters were upgraded to the newer Samson units after the Roam system discontinued in 06, because we were having interferrence issues. I'm not the guy that rebuilt them, I just know that even when they were new, they STILL rocked, and with the mods they are simply better!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Just started using a Shure Beta 98, and I have been blown away by it. Still haven't tried the AMT, but with as well as the Shure performs for my needs, I really can't see myself needing any better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DanPerezSax: Thanks!

Used it on a small gig just yesterday. Had very good results overall, even though I still have to learn how to mic it to get the more natural "what I hear when I play against the wall" sound.
Do you guys have any tips about that?

Another question, do you guys use compression on your mics in your live performances?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..another plug for the ldm94 SD systems...ive been really diggin it...i dont have to worry about batteries,preamps...just plug right in... oh yeah,and my trumpet sounds great on it too!!(something you cant say about AMTs geared for sax)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks, I like the AMT Wi5 for the all-in-one transmitter/mic thing, and the shock-absorption of the mount, and the quality folks talk about....umm and it looks kinda cool.

But I manhandle the horn onstage (lead singer/sax player who points with the horn, holds over head with one hand, dancing & jumping around - generally making an *** out of oneself).

Is the transmitter secure? How much abuse can it take? Should I just strap a shure transmitter on and go with the AMT LS / Beta 98?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The AMT spring mount can screw down tight and it will not come loose.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts