Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need ligatures for Ponzol metal and a Guardala metal Tenor.

I would like to hear for those of you who actually play or have played these pieces and what ligatures you have had success with.

I already know about:
Rovners
Selmer 402
Theo Wanne

Thanks.

B:)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i'm diggin the winslow now... over the 402 i like a yanagisawa metal lig they are longer and really get a long clamp on the reed

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winslow is too expensive. I think the 402 is what I will try first. B

·
Registered
887 Posts
I use a Selmer 404 on my Ponzol M1. The 402 is the alto version, it is to small for a good fit. I prefer it very much over any Rovner I've used. The only other lig I've used for a metal tenor piece has been the BG Metal Jazz. The response was nice, but no better than a 404, and it slid around too much. Besides, it's a one-screw design, not what you're looking for...

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Hey Brian,

I don't have either piece that you mentioned (so why am I chiming in....), but I do have two very slim pieces. One is a modern Brilhart (about the same as a Runyon Smooth Bore) and the other is a Sakshama Custom Z. The Rico H lig for soprano fits both very well, FWIW.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a Selmer 404 on my Ponzol M1. The 402 is the alto version, it is to small for a good fit. I prefer it very much over any Rovner I've used. The only other lig I've used for a metal tenor piece has been the BG Metal Jazz. The response was nice, but no better than a 404, and it slid around too much. Besides, it's a one-screw design, not what you're looking for...
That is good to know. Then I will need a 402 for my Guardala Studio and a 404 for the Ponzol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi, on my guardala tenor the winslow is great sometimes if the mp. is tight on the neck cork it will move. The harrison original holds reed evenly a little better than the rico H models. Lebayle silver winslow style has one screw on top and really clamps down the reed. The selmer 404 is great also. Good luck.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the great advice and ideas.

Finally so very happy with the mouthpieces I have and just need a couple of ligatures to make if a snug fit all around (pun intended).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Thanks for all of the great advice and ideas.

Finally so very happy with the mouthpieces I have and just need a couple of ligatures to make if a snug fit all around (pun intended).

I'm sure you'll find the 402 just the job on the DG. I have others including the saxxas but the 402 is a no fuss, user friendly, nothing added nothing taken away consistent solution.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure you'll find the 402 just the job on the DG. I have others including the saxxas but the 402 is a no fuss, user friendly, nothing added nothing taken away consistent solution.
Thanks. I am looking forward to trying it with the Guardala but I am also hoping a 402 or 404 will fit my Ponzol M1 and M6 pieces which I use more. The no fuss is what I am going for. B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Michael. 402 seems to be a favorite amongst the members here although I know a member that uses Harrisons and Harrison copies. B

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
The 404 was a perfect fit for my Ponzol M2. I sent it back as I have a Brancher that fits the Ponzols great, and I was buying it initially to fit my Guardalas and goofed as Guardalas need the alto 402. I should have kept it though, as it is a sturdy 2 screw lig that looks like it would last forever. I'll probably buy one again next time I need reeds or something.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Assuming the M2 is the same circumference as the older Ponzol piece the 404 may well be on my list of things to order this week. Thanks. B

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Yeah, I wish I took the time to realize the 402 AND the 404 are worth having haha instead of reacting to quickly to return the 404 for a 402.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the 402 a few minutes ago and strapped it down over a useless reed and the Guardala studio for a few days of stretching. The fit looks almost like it was meant to be and it is very tight. Ordered the 404 for my Ponzols b/c the 402 does not fit the Ponzol.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
Got the 402 a few minutes ago and strapped it down over a useless reed and the Guardala studio for a few days of stretching.
Don't keep tightening the screws to expect it to stretch - that can kill the screw threads and the joints. Tighten the lig and work it with a popsickle stick or dead reed to make it better conform to the mouthpiece and reed.

It doesn't take days - more like minutes.

Enjoy!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been on there for about an hour and it works great. No more reed moving around during tuning adjustments/dry cork gigs.

...and I spent $80 and was not enlightened.:bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,343 Posts
Modman
How are you?
Yes the 404 will fit your Ponzol,does on my Ponzol IIVI 110 tenor as a glove.
Thouw I might have a Lebayle lig for sale that does fit the Handmade Studio Guardala,If you are interested.
I am waiting for a Winslow,and want to be sure that indeed it does fit my Studio Guardala first.
Best regard
Saxobari

1 - 20 of 37 Posts