Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm currently playing a Meyer 5M with Java 3.5s on my Mark VII alto. I'm looking for piece with similar qualities to the Meyer but with a little less resistance (slight baffle or maybe a different chamber....). The reason is that I use a Link 7* NY STM with Java 3.5s on tenor and a Selmer S80 G with Java 3.5s on soprano, and all three setups play similarly, but the alto setup is just a bit more resistant so I'm trying to match it to my tenor and soprano setups more closely. To me, the Meyer feels like an HR Link does on tenor, and I'm trying to get closer to the feel that a Link NY STM on tenor provides.
Has anyone found an alto piece that might be worth trying for this purpose?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Of the two Morgan chambers, (M and L), which is closest to the Meyer chamber? I'll probably start with that one since the Meyer is pretty close to where I want the sound to be.

Regarding the VII vs. VI thing, I think this Meyer would probably be what I'm looking for if I had a VI alto, but the more open (larger bore?) of the VII is partly why I'm looking for a different chamber on the mouthpiece. Especially since my main horn is tenor and tenor players sometimes have issues getting a centered alto sound.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all! I just received my Morgan Jazz 5M. It's an excellent piece and the sound of my alto with this Morgan is a good match for my tenor and soprano setups. Getting similar tones and volume levels on all three horns is important to me because my band has different soundmen from gig to gig and I want to make their job easier when I switch horns. Especially when they are not giving things their full attention....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts