Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm currently playing a Meyer 5M with Java 3.5s on my Mark VII alto. I'm looking for piece with similar qualities to the Meyer but with a little less resistance (slight baffle or maybe a different chamber....). The reason is that I use a Link 7* NY STM with Java 3.5s on tenor and a Selmer S80 G with Java 3.5s on soprano, and all three setups play similarly, but the alto setup is just a bit more resistant so I'm trying to match it to my tenor and soprano setups more closely. To me, the Meyer feels like an HR Link does on tenor, and I'm trying to get closer to the feel that a Link NY STM on tenor provides.
Has anyone found an alto piece that might be worth trying for this purpose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
I'd say look into the Morgan "L" chamber. It will have very little resistance, be very reed friendly, and get a fat/tubby but still meyer-like tone.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
878 Posts
I bought a Morgan Jazz 6M and found it a bit less resistant than my Meyer 6M and definitely a better player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
ah, Mark VII alto...I sold mine recently...

to me, not every mpc suits that alto well...I experienced both vintage mpcs and modern mpcs on it.

I found Caravan is a good candidate and S90 selmer is also good for me.

I tried vintage sololist and didnt like the combinations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Of the two Morgan chambers, (M and L), which is closest to the Meyer chamber? I'll probably start with that one since the Meyer is pretty close to where I want the sound to be.

Regarding the VII vs. VI thing, I think this Meyer would probably be what I'm looking for if I had a VI alto, but the more open (larger bore?) of the VII is partly why I'm looking for a different chamber on the mouthpiece. Especially since my main horn is tenor and tenor players sometimes have issues getting a centered alto sound.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I'll chime in with a recommendation for the Lamberson SB--this piece has a "slight baffle" and is quite free blowing and can do it all--I play in all kinds of situations, from bass/sax duos, big bands, etc and this weekend played in a rock band and the piece was able to hold its own in that amplified environment--a very defined, focused. sound and is maybe a little darker than a Meyer.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
yes I agree with the morgan alto. I have a 6m that plays better than my meyer. they are like meyers but like the best meyer you have played . the sound is pretty good due to the fact that morgan seems to use quality hard rubber. I can notice a diffence between the morgan and a stck meyer sound. plus they play so easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Junkdude has La Sax by Morgan pieces available in Alto 7M for $85.00. They are listed with the Vintage Mouthpieces.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
878 Posts
Junkdude is where I bought my Morgan Jazz 6M. They are great to deal with. It's far and away the best HR piece I've played.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,892 Posts
3 Olives said:
Junkdude has La Sax by Morgan pieces available in Alto 7M for $85.00. They are listed with the Vintage Mouthpieces.
I play one of these. Great deal from Junkdude...they're the same as Ralph's early-90s mouthpieces, only they have "LA Sax" stamped on the top, along with the normal Morgan engraving. Just be aware that the facing is going to be quite a bit larger than what you are used to, so you might need a softer reed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
I was about to get one of those LA sax ones, but 6m's came in today so I grabbed one of those instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
jvsax said:
Thanks! Of the two Morgan chambers, (M and L), which is closest to the Meyer chamber? I'll probably start with that one since the Meyer is pretty close to where I want the sound to be.

Regarding the VII vs. VI thing, I think this Meyer would probably be what I'm looking for if I had a VI alto, but the more open (larger bore?) of the VII is partly why I'm looking for a different chamber on the mouthpiece. Especially since my main horn is tenor and tenor players sometimes have issues getting a centered alto sound.

Thanks again.
Regarding Morgan chambers, I've tried both the L and the M and found it really hard to discern a difference between the two, other than that the L had to be pushed in farther on the cork to be in tune. If you tend to play a little sharp (especially up high), I'd say go for the L. I don't do that on alto, so I'm sticking with the M. (Played both on Martin altos.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
I also would go for a Morgan L. I play a 5L with vando blue 3 on my Buescher Aristocrat alto and I can play very softly and quiet loud when needed. I don't play alto for a long time so I can say much and can't compare, but when I tried some Meyer, Selmer and Vando mpc few times ago, my Morgan was reaaly the best for me.
Here is a clip with this setup.
Say hello to Dave and Ralph :D

ps: I sometimes think a Morgan 6L with vando 3ZZ may be better for me ... Just an intuition ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all! I just received my Morgan Jazz 5M. It's an excellent piece and the sound of my alto with this Morgan is a good match for my tenor and soprano setups. Getting similar tones and volume levels on all three horns is important to me because my band has different soundmen from gig to gig and I want to make their job easier when I switch horns. Especially when they are not giving things their full attention....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
I like the Caravan, it has really dark tone, Don't try sugal, they are impossible to get altissimo out of, (Rubber/ Plastic Composite Sugals, not the metal ones). I like vandoren MP's. My friend In Alderson-Broadus College, Highschool performance conference had one, and he let me try it. I loved the sound. It is also meant for jazz and classical, or just common playing.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,892 Posts
jvsax said:
Thanks all! I just received my Morgan Jazz 5M. It's an excellent piece and the sound of my alto with this Morgan is a good match for my tenor and soprano setups. Getting similar tones and volume levels on all three horns is important to me because my band has different soundmen from gig to gig and I want to make their job easier when I switch horns. Especially when they are not giving things their full attention....
Gee, that never happens. ;)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top