·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking alternatives other than enlightened

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my Soprano Gaia I am using a Rovner ligature.
I do have the Theo Wanne ligature that is milled out into a angular ring with a pressure plate that screws down.
Generally I like the pressure plate BUT, the Gaia mouthpiece is so hard that the ligature slides off and will not hold in place.
A Brancher ligature similarly slides off because the Gaia's material is so hard that these slide down the taper.
My Rover works well. Visually it is bulky on a soprano mouthpiece but does not get in the way. View attachment 225544 View attachment 225546 View attachment 225548 View attachment 225550 View attachment 225552 View attachment 225544 View attachment 225546 View attachment 225548 View attachment 225550 View attachment 225552

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my Soprano Gaia I am using a Rovner ligature.
I do have the Theo Wanne ligature that is milled out into a angular ring with a pressure plate that screws down.
Generally I like the pressure plate BUT, the Gaia mouthpiece is so hard that the ligature slides off and will not hold in place.
A Brancher ligature similarly slides off because the Gaia's material is so hard that these slide down the taper.
My Rover works well. Visually it is bulky on a soprano mouthpiece but does not get in the way. View attachment 225544 View attachment 225546 View attachment 225548 View attachment 225550 View attachment 225552 View attachment 225544 View attachment 225546 View attachment 225548 View attachment 225550 View attachment 225552
Thanks for the post. I have a huge dislike of Rovners of any sort that are like it. I bought Marc Jean custom that is extremely nice but it needs to be returned to be refitted. In the meantime I am using a "H" Rico ligature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brian, the reason I use the Rovner is that the others slip off the Gaia . I do use a Rico "H" on several other mouthpieces for soprano and other saxes. But that said I do like the Rovners in general but the models vary quite a bit in how they affect different MP and horns. Not all work for me. My problem with the Gaia is simply that it is so damn hard that many ligatures want to slide off or at least are not very stable even if they play well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Gaia on my alto and soprano. On my sop I use a rovner, on alto I had a BG leather and recently got a Silverstein t bar and am REALLY happy with it. They don’t slip off any more than the original Gaia one did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts