Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently gotten a b991, which I am loving, I am looking for bari mouthpiece recommendations, whether or not you are looking to sell any particular one.

I am enjoying the HR Yani 5 it came with, though I generally prefer metal (JJ dv ny 7* on tenor).

I prefer mpc’s on the darker side of the spectrum though still not any real experience on bari to draw from.

I’ve been doing my usual research, but would greatly appreciate any general advice or specific recommendations if you have any to share.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having recently gotten a b991, which I am loving, I am looking for bari mouthpiece recommendations, whether or not you are looking to sell any particular one.

I am enjoying the HR Yani 5 it came with, though I generally prefer metal (JJ dv ny 7* on tenor).

I prefer mpc’s on the darker side of the spectrum though still not any real experience on bari to draw from.

I’ve been doing my usual research, but would greatly appreciate any general advice or specific recommendations if you have any to share.
I have a lot of bari mouthpieces I would like to sell. From RPC to berg to lebayle. Please let me know what you are looking for, these are usually pretty new and little used

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a lot of bari mouthpieces I would like to sell. From RPC to berg to lebayle. Please let me know what you are looking for, these are usually pretty new and little used
I thought the title of the thread indicated what I was looking for. Sorry if it wasn’t clear. I do appreciate that you have a lot of mouthpieces available, but I am hoping to get some info/advice if not specific recommendations. Not simply asking people what they have for sale, although later down the road I might do something like that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
For solo work and dance bands, I used to use a RPC 105 rollover - great old school tone with lots of flexibility in the right way, very reed friendly. I used this piece on Buescher TT, Selmer Mk VI (low Bb), and Yanagisawa B-992.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
My favorite on my Buescher 400 is a Rousseau 5R.
Yes, it's hard rubber, but I prefer that over metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Honestly, you'll regret not picking up one of these Vandoren V16 B7's from Eric Hand. You can get one shipped for $101 just because the boxes are a bit damaged. I picked one up, it's in great shape and I can't stop playing it. Have fun shopping around and trying pieces!

EDIT: Darn, looks like they’ve sold them all.

·
32,936 Posts
Ah, metal...

Nvilletele, the bari player in my big band recently changed from the Lamberson 7SB of the last many years, to a Theo Wanne Durga 3 on her Yanagisawa B-992. It seemed expensive at the time, but what an amazing sound. Now I can hear the bari from the opposite end of the section - even with the rest of the band playing - and she says that its less demanding to play that previous mouthpieces (Lamberson, Berg, and Link). It's not about being harsh or cutting, it just carries. $$$

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If you like the JJ DV NY on tenor that wouldn't be a bad place to start with metal bari pieces. I play a DV Chi 7* on tenor and DV 8 on bari. It depends a lot on what you are planning to do with your new horn. Due to the range of the instrument and possibly the design as well with the Q at the top of the body you can play a piece with considerably more baffle on bari than you would on tenor or alto before the tone begins to get harsh.

If you're planning on playing funk, rock, and/or R&B you'll likely want something with a fair amount of baffle like a DV, Durga, JJ Jet, Drake, or RPC "B" model. If you are planing on anchoring a big band sax section a DV NY, RPC rollover, Drake rollover, Vandoren V16, or Link would good good places to start. I have an STM with a small wedge baffle added that plays great for big band use.

If you like the shallower beak angle of the JJ pieces you'll probably be okay with the feel of the HR pieces from Drake, RPC, and Vandoren as the beak angles are fairly low. Many of the other HR bari pieces are more similar to a HR Link and have steeper beak angles that are more like the HR Yani piece that came with the horn- just something to think about.

Here's a video I did a while back playing several of these pieces. I don't think I sound a whole lot different on them though they definitely respond very differently and feel different to play. Mostly I think I prove what I say at the beginning of the video which is; if you're a mediocre player like I am you can sound pretty mediocre on just about anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoOUyJvMKE

·
Registered
397 Posts
Vandoren V16 is great and affordable in comparison with boutique pieces. I also have read/heard that Rico Metallite mpcs are even more affordable and some people swear by them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Those Yanagisawa rubber pieces are pretty damned good really.
But for a Darker sounding piece the RPC Rollover as mentioned by Dr G, would be a good option at a reasonable cost.
I have never thought of the DVNY’s as a dark piece whatsoever so perhaps our ideas differ in that respect.
Yanagisawa baritones play well with many pieces.
I used to have a B6 that I played with a Strathon Adjustatone.
I still have the Strathon but use it on a YBS 62 instead now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have used the following mouthpieces with great success. Berg Larson 105/1 - RPC 110 - and my favorite of all of these a Lawton 7BB, it's the only metal mouthpiece of the three.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Get a Lamberson DD piece. I’m in love with my 8DD. I am constantly trying different pieces, but even when I find something I like I always end up going back to my Lamberson. (I even bought a second one as insurance.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
I have not played any of the mouthpieces mentioned with as small an opening as mentioned here for decades. I have found anything under a 130 opening to be lacking in power and focus. I like one brand a great deal: Francois Louis. They have some punch and produce a great tone. They are easy to control, but again, I am playing around a 135 opening on it with reeds ranging from 3 to 5 in strength depending on the maker and my general mood. Again, this is a hard rubber mouthpiece. I quit playing metal after clipping my front teeth with one a few decades ago. I now feel every vibration a metal mouthpiece produces up through my eyes.

I have also liked the Lawton, Link, Vandoren, and Larson for Bari, but again in anything over a 130 tip opening, if I can find one. Anything smaller does not give me the sound, power, or tone I enjoy.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stick with the yani until you have a clearer idea of your sound concept. Listen lots, find out what you like then you can narrow your choices
Great advice, and not simply because I started to think along exactly the same lines. But I did go ahead this morning and ordered a RPC crossover. Given its pretty reasonable price and fairly broad acclaim, I don’t think I can go too far wrong. I can always return or resell it should it prove not what I expect from all the descriptions.

Edit: it is a 105 tip, Ron’s recommendation.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Given its pretty reasonable price and fairly broad acclaim, I don’t think I can go too far wrong.
So true, and especially having gone with Ron's recommendation. If it isn't the best deal in baritone saxophone mouthpieces, it has to be among the best. Right now I'm playing a Runyon 88, because it gets along with the synthetic reed I wanted to use better than the RPC. That's one thing to bear in mind, RPC isn't a student mouthpiece and everything matters - the right reed and good technique anyway, maybe ligature, who knows. But while student level mouthpieces are fine, the 88 is perfectly OK and a breeze to play, it's more limited than the RPC.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've tried a lot of mouthpieces over the years and, for me, the Vandoren V16 B9 is hands down the one that works best for me. I tried out the B7 and the B9 and the B9 didn't feel that much bigger than the B7, but it opened up my sound. This might not be "the" mouthpiece for you, but it's definitely a mouthpiece that you should at least try. You never know, it may end your mouthpiece search.

Greg

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Great advice, and not simply because I started to think along exactly the same lines. But I did go ahead this morning and ordered a RPC crossover. Given its pretty reasonable price and fairly broad acclaim, I don’t think I can go too far wrong. I can always return or resell it should it prove not what I expect from all the descriptions.

Edit: it is a 105 tip, Ron’s recommendation.
I'm guessing this is a piece that fit's between Ron's high baffle and rollover models???

Kind of surprised he has you going with a .105. He usually talks folks into larger tips and you're already playing a .105 on tenor. Maybe he's figuring that .105 is already a big jump from the .090ish tip on the Yani piece you're playing that came with the horn.

·
32,936 Posts
I'm guessing this is a piece that fit's between Ron's high baffle and rollover models???

Kind of surprised he has you going with a .105. He usually talks folks into larger tips and you're already playing a .105 on tenor. Maybe he's figuring that .105 is already a big jump from the .090ish tip on the Yani piece you're playing that came with the horn.
My RPC rollover bari ‘piece was also a .105 - even though I was blowing larger tips on tenor at the time. It works.

P.S. Ron apparently isn’t watching the market or just doesn’t care. His work is worth much more than he is charging - for all his pieces.

https://saxmpc.com/baritone.html

1 - 20 of 54 Posts