Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm sitting in w/ people in a couple of days and they play everything 1/2 step down. Seeking an app where I can upload charts and then download same transposed appropriately.

I did a quick search here and didn't find an answer and time is short so I'm starting a new thread.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
Tenors Mark VI, SBA, T990, T880, YTS 62 stamped logo silver, SML Gold Medal, Bari: Yani B6
55 Posts
What Do you mean with "upload Charts" ? Do you mean PDFs ?

If so you will need 2 apps / programs for it.

the probably cheapest Way is to use a software like scanscore - you can "upload" or scan PDFs and it will transfer these into a partiture that you still have to work on - correct mistakes etc.
Then you can import the result into a program like MuseScore or similar. In this program you can transpose the piece as you like and finally print it or save it as a PDF again.

You need to be aware that the Quality of all such programs like "ScanScore" is still restricted and you will have to spend a considerable amount of time with correction.

·
Registered
Tenors Mark VI, SBA, T990, T880, YTS 62 stamped logo silver, SML Gold Medal, Bari: Yani B6
55 Posts
PS - there are of course different options, I proposed ScanScore / MuseScore because MuseScore is available for MAC and WIN computers alike and MuseScore is (at least in its basic version) FreeWare. I Don't know about ScanScore.

If You search the net for something like "how to upload PDFs into a music notation program" or similar, you will surely find more options

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
What a strange transposition. The only thing I can imagine is the people you are sitting in with play guitars or electric bass and they are more comfortable playing the chords in the keys of A, D, and E rather than Bb, Eb, and F. If that is the case they can save you a lot of trouble by using a capo. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,699 Posts
What a strange transposition. The only thing I can imagine is the people you are sitting in with play guitars or electric bass and they are more comfortable playing the chords in the keys of A, D, and E rather than Bb, Eb, and F. If that is the case they can save you a lot of trouble by using a capo. ;)
Not so strange - it's been especially popular since Stevie Ray Vaughn opted for heavy strings and detuned his guitar a half step. If you have a band covering SRV, it's SOP.

Reactions: swperry1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing it's the result of the singer losing some of his upper range over the years. Many rock singers lose range and, as a result, drop the key of their songs to better match their new (old) voice,

·
36,699 Posts
I'm guessing it's the result of the singer losing some of his upper range over the years. Many rock singers lose range and, as a result, drop the key of their songs to better match their new (old) voice,
Why not ask? If you are considering playing with the band long-term, it would be worth sorting out. Are you equally proficient in all keys?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If this band has handwritten charts, there's really not anything out there that can handle those. But I've used this free tool with mixed results. Still requires a lot of manual re-work in Musescore after the fact, enough in most cases to make it useless.

I'm guessing a guitar band is going to have pretty simple horn charts that would be quick and easy to manually input into Musescore and the click the transpose button. Similar story for the free Cakewalk software. Or go old school and simply re-write by hand, transposing as you go. That's usually about as quick as entering into some program. Another option is just write flats in front of all the notes on a copy of the original chart. Lastly, sight transpose of course. That can work great on simple tunes. If you just have a few hits, simple lines and long notes, it should be pretty easy.

It wouldn't hurt to ask if they have digital copies of their charts already. That way it's just one click to transpose them. I imagine most composition is done digitally in the first place these days.

It doesn't make sense that they'd drop ALL their tunes a half step for the singer's sake. That kind of implies ALL were at the top of the singer's range to begin with, which seems pretty unlikely. But I'm kind of with you on just doing what they ask. If I pulled in a sub who asked me to change all my charts for his sake, I'd get a different sub.

Please let us know what you end up doing and how the gig goes.

·
36,699 Posts
It doesn't make sense that they'd drop ALL their tunes a half step for the singer's sake. That kind of implies ALL were at the top of the singer's range to begin with, which seems pretty unlikely.
Once you drop tuning on the guitar and bass, you just leave ‘em there or capo up a fret - or switch instruments.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the input. I found a service to transpose everything but it would have cost $100 and I wouldn't have a chance to play along w/ the tunes (as they're not recorded in the new key). Was very surprised that there wasn't an easy and cheap solution. As a result, I told the guys I was going to skip the gig but would be happy to revisit when I found a way to get the charts transposed. Their response? "We'll play the sax tunes (about 10 of 40) in standard key." So we're on for Sunday at the NJ Shore!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Once you drop tuning on the guitar and bass, you just leave ‘em there or capo up a fret - or switch instruments.
I see. If you drop for one tune, it's easier to just drop for all. Makes sense.
...I told the guys I was going to skip the gig but would be happy to revisit when I found a way to get the charts transposed. Their response? "We'll play the sax tunes (about 10 of 40) in standard key." So we're on for Sunday at the NJ Shore!
That's fantastic. Glad it worked out. Should be a fun gig.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see. If you drop for one tune, it's easier to just drop for all. Makes sense.
That's fantastic. Glad it worked out. Should be a fun gig.
Yes and thanks. And the singer (who I've never met) confirmed the drop is to make songs easier to sing. He'll be able to do all but two in std key. I'm going to pay the transcriber to transcribe the two he can't do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update. I did pay for the transcrber to transcribe the two songs that the singer didn't want to cover in std key. Cost was $20 and they sent me the new charts quickly. I assume the guy did have access to a software. Found the guy here: www.fiverr.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts