Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished restoring a straigt-neck Conn C Melody, ser. # 118xxx. It unfortunately is missing a case. Which replacement case/gig bag do you guys recommend that fits the C Melody well?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
A new DEG c-mel case is one option.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/ProductPage/SC15.aspx

Another possible option would be to get one from AquilaSax, but I haven't bought any C-melody cases from them so I can't say whether they fit saxes with split bell keys or not (you could always send them an email if you are more curious about this option).

http://www.aquilasax.com/Accessories_sale.html

Another option you have is to track down an original Conn case for it. Cases sometimes pop up once in a while...either on here or Ebay.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I bought the Aquilasax case. Clearly a Chinese case, not as good as my Protecs, but it's a reasonable facsimile. They state on their website that it's designed to fit the Conn C-mel, which is really a function of the shape of the neck. It fits my Buescher well enough though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,292 Posts
I would go on ebay and look for a cheap C Melody and just keep the case. I can sell a good horn and case for $150 but it is still vintage. You can always block down a tenor case. I am not sure DEG still has the C cases but they may be expensive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I didn't realize Aquilasax sold cases separately as accessories. I see I have many options.

·
3,494 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
I would go on ebay and look for a cheap C Melody and just keep the case.
Problem with that is that most of them are falling apart and smell REALLY bad.....

·
8,588 Posts
Thanks guys! I didn't realize Aquilasax sold cases separately as accessories. I see I have many options.
They'll sell you a choice of mouthpieces and reeds as accessories too.

Be aware their mouthpieces are "alto-oriented" (like your Conn) and don't fit tenor-oriented C-melodies (like my Buescher).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems mine was left out in the open, and it was black as night when I got it. So luckily no smell! Wenol and little elbow grease took care of cleaning.

It also came with Harwood metal mouthpiece. I've tried alto pieces, and they seem to work just fine. My tenor pieces probably won't work due to the microtuner getting in the way of the shank.

·
8,588 Posts
Actually, the case is what tends to smell (mildew), although the horn can certainly pick up the odor and carry it around.

Alto pieces will fit your Conn just fine. As you've discovered by now, the neck tapers down enough that alto pieces fit and tenor pieces largely don't (unless they're short). On some other horns, the neck taper is too large to fit an alto piece, so either the original piece or a tenor piece is what you get.

The C-mel's aren't very consistent that way between brands, unlike what you see on the mainstream horns.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Buescher TT retained the 'antique' smell outside its original case even after repadding and thorough cleaning inside. The smell's still there slightly, but I'm sure it'll go away after some time. As for the case...well, I think it's mostly a show piece and not really useful.

·
8,588 Posts
I have one of those... A full overhaul and cleaning (dunk tank) took care of the horn. Original case is best kept closed, but I did keep it.

I've attached some pics of the Buescher C-Mel in the Acquilasax case. You'll note a couple things.

1. The handle appears to have either a manufacturing defect or had been cut with a box cutter before I got it. I chose not to send it back, as I more interested in smell-free function of the case rather than appearance. That said, it does seem like something to look out for.

2. The Buescher neck is shaped like a normal tenor and doesn't fit the case right. Your Conn won't have the problem. That said as well, the Protec case fits my Bb tenor neck the same way, so while it looks funky, it's still protected.

Other than these things, it seems built well enough, was cheap enough, and will protect the horn well enough for my needs.

Attachments

·
4,023 Posts
I have one of those... A full overhaul and cleaning (dunk tank) took care of the horn. Original case is best kept closed, but I did keep it.

I've attached some pics of the Buescher C-Mel in the Acquilasax case. You'll note a couple things.

1. The handle appears to have either a manufacturing defect or had been cut with a box cutter before I got it. I chose not to send it back, as I more interested in smell-free function of the case rather than appearance. That said, it does seem like something to look out for.
That's odd, I recall having the exact same problem with mine. I figured it got slashed when someone opened a box, but now I wonder if it wasn't made that way (deliberately or otherwise).

2. The Buescher neck is shaped like a normal tenor and doesn't fit the case right. Your Conn won't have the problem. That said as well, the Protec case fits my Bb tenor neck the same way, so while it looks funky, it's still protected.

Other than these things, it seems built well enough, was cheap enough, and will protect the horn well enough for my needs.
The problem I had when trying to put a Buescher True Tone in the Aquilasax case is that it couldn't accommodate the bow guard. It wouldn't have been a huge problem to fix, and I would imagine you already have (it would just require crushing some foam without cutting cloth) and just didn't consider it to be of any consequence.

As for the neck, the safest place for it is in a padded bag inside the bell. If something manages to damage it THERE, you have much bigger problems to worry about.

The reason I didn't modify the case is that I also had the Aquilasax horn to put inside it. It has occurred to me that when (if?) I get the True Tone back, it's not going to fit in its original case because of the tenon modification. I'll have to remember that the Aquilasax case should solve the problem -- breaking down the foam in the necessary place is as simple as sticking it with a hat pin and wriggling around inside like I was doing styrofoam liposuction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts