Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ADMIN EDIT: I have moved these posts out of the HR discoluration thread as it is probably best to have it in the Forum problems and queries section as it is worth everyone seeing and discussing - PT]

Let me explain once again, if you don’t mind bearing with me.

Most people look in the wrong place which is on any page at the right top side where it says ADVANCED SEARCH

THAT is the wrong place

THIS is the proper place :bluewink: my advise to you and all is to bookmark it

https://www.saxontheweb.net

On top, in the center of the page there is a box which says Google CUSTOM search.

Searching for HARD RUBBER RESTORATION returns 477 hits.

Many of which are repeat hits much there are dozens and dozens of relevant threads. Good Luck!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,936 Posts

·
38,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Hard Rubber - Treating discolouration

But that is exactly the same as at the top of every page (unless you are using one of the mobile themes)
not for me, the top ( right) of every page, for me, has only on the right-hand site the small box which says" advanced search “, and no, I don’t use any mobile theme.

Anyway, my method, works, since I nearly always find for others what they couldn’t find.

·
28,936 Posts
Re: Hard Rubber - Treating discolouration

not for me, the top ( right) of every page, for me, has only on the right-hand site the small box which says" advanced search “, and no, I don’t use any mobile theme.
I'm talking about the Google Custom search at the top of every page in the default theme (just to the right of the SOTW logo). The standard vBulletin (Sphynx?) search and Advanced search at the far right is not very good these days.

View attachment 249332

I have no idea why milandro is not seeing that on the default style, although it can sometimes take a couple of seconds to load.

If some users cannot see this we need to invesigate the reason @VSadmin

Anyway, my method, works, since I nearly always find for others what they couldn’t find.
Indeed, the Google Custom search does work, but it should NOT be necessary navigate away from the forum to the "Portal" to do so.

·
28,936 Posts
Note that this Google Custom search is not available on mobile styles such as Debutante or Default Mobile Style, which is an added problem as a very large proportion of users are browsing on mobile devices.

In which case the Google search of SOTW is a bit more longwinded: you need to go to Google and enter
Code:
site: forum.saxontheweb.net
followed by your search terms

View attachment 249334

·
28,936 Posts
The only page where I can see the Google custom search box is at saxontheweb.net.
It is missing from forum.saxontheweb.net main and sub-pages.
On my Mac I'm using Safari 13.0.4 (15608.4.9.1.3) with macOS Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57).
Something is very wrong then, I see the Custom serach on safari, Firefox and Chrome. I don't think it can be an obscure preference setting but you never know...

·
28,936 Posts
(What is the "Attached Thumbnail" below and how do I get rid of it?)
Probably an image you uploaded but did not include in the post. It's the same as one of the images but without the blue outline round the Google serach box. You should be able to edit and delete it, but be careful not to delete the images that are in the post.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The File Upload Manager window does not seem to have a way to delete images.
It does say, "Uploads not utilized within one hour will be deleted."

·
28,936 Posts
The File Upload Manager window does not seem to have a way to delete images.
It does say, "Uploads not utilized within one hour will be deleted."
You click on the top right. I just did it.
Part of the issue may be that you uploaded an image with the exact same filname as the other one

View attachment 249342

·
Registered
707 Posts
Wahahaha!

Well, the custom search actually is on all pages UNLESS you have AdBlock, uBlock or a similar plugin activated.

·
28,936 Posts
Wahahaha!

Well, the custom search actually is on all pages UNLESS you have AdBlock, uBlock or a similar plugin activated.
Sounds like we have found the answer to this part of the puzzle then. (But odd that it would show on the portal page though)

·
38,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only page where I can see the Google custom search box is at saxontheweb.net.
It is missing from forum.saxontheweb.net main and sub-pages.
This is the same situation that I have too and it has been like that for years and years.

Despite what some people may think, the ability to search the archives is the only thing that justifies keeping them.

Also, it guarantees more responses since every time one posts on an old thread the people whom have subscribed (and are still around, will get an alert).

I said it before and will say it again instead of discovering the miracle of boiling water every time, one can start reaching the boiling temperature with water that is already hot.

So I still wonder why, those whom see it don’t appear to be using it

·
Registered
363 Posts
custom search actually is on all pages UNLESS you have AdBlock, uBlock or a similar plugin activated
Yes, when I disable AdBlock, the custom search box appears.

I appreciate Milandro and Pete explaining the different search boxes--I had thought Advanced Search was the correct engine.

·
38,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your appreciation.

I am sure that most people whom search aren’t aware that “ advanced search” is an extremely limited thing which at best searches that page or that section of the forum.

This forum is very large and it has an archive comprising different sections which have been integrated into the current form through different versions of the software and several migrations.

Lacking any use of the archives the owner could very well decide at some point to get rid of these appendixes which cost space, if not money, to be kept UNUSED.

An incredible amount of useful things would be lost forever.

More importantly all the vibrationalist discussions would never be visible anymore.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?92953-P-Ligging-a-little-help-to-pimp-your-sound

took me a second to find one

Moin,
some of you will say, only saxvoodoo again but this is propably one of the cheapest tuning devices.

You only need a cord of leather.

You just wind it two, three or fourtimes very thight around the front of the neck. (check out the Photo if you don't know what I mean)

It will you make louder and the sounds becomes more round. I've the impression, that it also gives more soundmaterial.

I stated the better the instrument (the thicker the walls) and the higher the sax the weaker is the effect of the P-Ligging.
On my soprano I was not sure if I really could hear a difference but on my Bari it is great.

The Name P-Ligging referes to my friend Prinzipal. It was his idea.

(No garantee for maybe possilble litte damages on the finish, I had none so far)

I don't want any comments like: "total crap", "won't work" "only voodoo" "you, it or something suck" unless you have really tried it yourself.

Have fun with testing.

·
28,936 Posts
So I still wonder why, those whom see it don’t appear to be using it
I think it may be because they see first the default and Advanced search and so use that instead (often to no avail)

Even without an adbloker, people get what is known as "banner blindness" - something looks like an ad or banner at the top, and they just ignore it subconsciously. I am like that. I don't (and would never) use an adblocker and so I have subconsciously trained my brain to not see ads.

An example of this here is the annoyingly blatant notices above the marketplace announcing that the rules have changed, yet I believe most people just ignore that. Nor can you expect most people to have seen all your helpful posts suggesting they eschew the standard or advanced search in favour of the custom search.

Nor can you really expect a lot of people to follow your point about posting in an existing thread and the advantage of that over starting yet another almost duplicate thread.

Sad but true.

had thought Advanced Search was the correct engine.
It would be if it worked as it is designed and the software kept up to date.

·
38,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 42 Posts