Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Just bought me an onld Hohener President Tenor from a garage sale.
As my friend bought it for me for a few bucks on the phone, I only had the opportunity
to inspect it after I got it at home. Unfortunately I discovered that my neck was slightly
damaged. It's damaged so far that the lower register is unplayable. I was wondering if someone
got one - or knows where I can get one ?

I also thought about getting one custom build, however I do not know if it's worth the instrument.
Any advice on this aswell is well apreciated :).

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Why not just have the original neck repaired, if it's only slightly damaged?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,921 Posts
Even if the neck is totally crushed, it can be restored. Chances are you have a minor repair and you should find a shop to take care of it.
I don't know who made the Hohener saxes but if you really need a neck it probably would have to come from the 'parent' model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Why not just have the original neck repaired, if it's only slightly damaged?
Yup.
Even if the neck is totally crushed, it can be restored. Chances are you have a minor repair and you should find a shop to take care of it.
I don't know who made the Hohner saxes but if you really need a neck it probably would have to come from the 'parent' model.
Yup.

Max Keilwerth horns. These weren't exactly cranked out of the factory back in the day. Great horns, tho....

The President has a very specific neck and tenon design. To have someone actually reproduce one will cost you at least $600.

As the gents have already noted.....unless the neck is literally demolished, it can be repaired...which might run you between $50-150 depending upon the damage.

A much better route.

Nobody is gonna have a spare President neck around (gawd there's a sitting-duck joke in there but I will refrain :|) and if they did, they would also sell it for well over $400+.

As an aside...if the lower register is unplayable....but the upper registers are playable....I doubt it is solely a damaged neck which is the issue (unless something is keeping the octave key from closing ?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts