Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i am looking for a metal mpc which is one the darker side. I have already tried many different hard rubber mpcs, but they just don't work for me. Most important to me is that the mpc is able to project and is "punchy" when i push it.

Any ideas? :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,131 Posts
Otto Link STM. But keep in mind, once again, it's the design that affects the sound, not the material.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's the design that affects the sound, not the material
Ya, i know that. Still, i have the feeling that (for me) metal mpcs have a faster response and are more easy to control.
Also tried a rubber Link a month ago or so and did not like it too much.
Talking about the metal links, would you advise the modern mpcs or the vintage ones?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
use a harder reed-that'll darken you up

·
23,131 Posts
Ya, i know that. Still, i have the feeling that (for me) metal mpcs have a faster response and are more easy to control.
Also tried a rubber Link a month ago or so and did not like it too much.
Talking about the metal links, would you advise the modern mpcs or the vintage ones?
It is a matter of preference, but until you've tried some really good HR mpcs (or metal ones for that matter), you really can't make such a generalization. I guarantee you a HR Tenney Jazzmaster will respond well and be easy to control....same with an RPC (especially if you want "punchy and good projection!"). It's the facing and design that makes a difference. And not all Links are the same. Vintage or modern, you need to try them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Check out the Phil Barone Jazz. Mine plays much darker, and with more dynamic range, than my STM.

·
12,876 Posts
The Barone Jazz is a nice piece. It has an interesting graininess too. It takes some chops with that large chamber so dont get macho and order too big of a tip. It is darker than an STM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
If it is the smaller size in the mouth of a metal mouthpiece you like, I will suggest an older Wolf Tayne. (The oldest have the tip opening stamped on the table, later they were on the side of the table, and the new ones have it on the shank.) I have no experience with the newest ones, but I have both a tenor and an alto Wolf Tayne #5 with the opening stamped on the table. And they play pretty dark and mellow.
BTW, both are for sale.

·
6,862 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
It is a matter of preference, but until you've tried some really good HR mpcs (or metal ones for that matter), you really can't make such a generalization. I guarantee you a HR Tenney Jazzmaster will respond well and be easy to control....same with an RPC (especially if you want "punchy and good projection!"). It's the facing and design that makes a difference. And not all Links are the same. Vintage or modern, you need to try them.
I like metal too. It's nothing to do with response or tone, I just like the feel and smaller size of the metal pieces.

For a dark Link STM, try a modern STM NY. It has a more spread sound and it plays darker for some players. You could add a Rovner dark lig to that. With a regular Vandoren reed, I find that a nice dark combination. Too dark for my taste, but good and dark.

·
23,131 Posts
I like metal too. It's nothing to do with response or tone, I just like the feel and smaller size of the metal pieces.
That's understandable (although some HR mpcs are made with a low-profile beak, fwiw), but here's what the OP said:

"Ya, i know that. Still, i have the feeling that (for me) metal mpcs have a faster response and are more easy to control."

I'll admit that if you feel a certain way about it, the placebo effect might become important, but it's rather limiting, especially when not based on fact.

Psycodelic is also asking for a mpc that has punch and projects well. I'd suggest that is largely up to the player, but a "dark" mpc will make punch & projection a bit more challenging. The suggestion for trying a harder, or different reed might be a good way to go.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I have several metal tenor pieces (Link, Yani, Selmer, SR Tech, Ponzol, Gaurdala...) and the darkest for me is a SR Tech Legend. The problem is it only comes in .108 so if that isn't the tip you want you're stuck. The Selmer metal pieces are not overly bright either and they come in more tip openings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@JL I totally agree with what you say. I understand that mpc design > material.
I really think it is my brain which tells me that metal is better for me. That's why i said i feel they have a better control. Sowhat, it's all about the feeling ;)

Also, I already have tried harder reeds but then i start to sound sulky, if you know what i mean..

Thanks for all of your responses so far by the way ;-)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well, here we go again - responding to a post without getting a relative perspective on the question. That is, the OP wants a darker mpc relative to . . . what?

OP - what mpc make/model/size and reed make/size are you using and how much darker than what you presently have, do you want your new mpc to be?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Gary,

i'm using a yanagisawa metal 7 with Rico Jazz 3M/Fiberreed medium ( I know those Fiberreeds tend to be quite bright in the upper register but i really like how fast they respond), also i'm using a rovner style ligature (guess that darkens the tone a bit).
Now that we are talking about relative perspection it is quite hard to tell you how much darker it should sound.. I'd say a lot. :D
Maybe i'll try to post some samples of how i sound right now so you get my idea right.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think my tone is farily dark on my Yani #9. If you like a smaller tip you could easily try a #7. Otherwise, you might try a Berg with a #2 baffle or a Link.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts