Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am searching for "my sound". I have listened several moutpieces, but I realize the sound dependes on the complete setup (and obviously the embochure).

I would like a sound brilliant, but with a touch of warming. A sound round and full, with great pianissimo (pp) control but with full forte (ff) and confident and stable altissimo. With a reminiscence of a vintage (old) saxophone but with the projection of a modern one. And most of all, I want the vibration of the reed be (sound) VERY enhanced! I hope I do not search for too much? he he

I have considered Beechler Bellite and Joddy Jazz DV, but I don't have them yet, and I am open to other mouthpieces.

I currently play Selmer Super Session D (.75) and/or Dukoff D7 (.80). I barely can play Selmer Super Session F (.87), I think I will have plenity of control on this last in several weeks.

Anyone who have experience with this moutpieces and can share their comments about the features of them? and other mouthpieces than can achieve my goals?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,973 Posts
I assume you are on alto with these tip openings?

I LOVE my SuperSession D...I guess it is a D; all the markings are gone except SuperSession, but it measures .77. It has been worked on by someone before I got it, but it looks like all they did was clean it up a little.

We are all built differently, so each person has their own unique sound. I get what I consider a nice warm and full sound with good control at all volumes and stable altissimo...Maybe you just need to pick one of the three nice mouthpieces you have and put all your focus into that until you are sure it isn't going to work for you...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you are on alto with these tip openings?

I LOVE my SuperSession D...I guess it is a D; all the markings are gone except SuperSession, but it measures .77. It has been worked on by someone before I got it, but it looks like all they did was clean it up a little.

We are all built differently, so each person has their own unique sound. I get what I consider a nice warm and full sound with good control at all volumes and stable altissimo...Maybe you just need to pick one of the three nice mouthpieces you have and put all your focus into that until you are sure it isn't going to work for you...
Hi swperry1,

Yes I agree with you, I am just asking for more suggestions, and trying to decide which one will be first... based on the experiencce of other players.

Some wise man said something like this: "You cannot live enough to learn everything by testing yourself, so it is a good way to try to learn from others"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vandoren V16's are well priced and I find them to be very briliant
Good point Evan, I currently use V16 and they are brilliant but not enough (I want more brilliance) and V16 have magnificent response when playing forte (ff), but they does not vibrate much when I play pianito (p). Rico Hemke vibrates much better in pianito (p) but are not so brilliant and does not have the same good response in fortes (ff) as V16.

V16 may would be the "perfect" reed (for me) if they vibrate much better in pianito (p). I REALLY enjoy to include VERY forte and VERY pianito in my interpretations (most of time in the same song).

BTW I use an original Harrison Ligature.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,220 Posts
With a reminiscence of a vintage (old) saxophone but with the projection of a modern one.
Just to clear up any misconception you may have, vintage horns have as good, or better, projection than any modern horn.

For reeds, try some Rigotti Gold, if the V16 isn't bright enough for you.

90% of what you're looking for in your sound will have to come from you, not the set up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,253 Posts
.......90% of what you're looking for in your sound will have to come from you, not the set up.
yes, and the goal is to find a set up that is not in your way.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,976 Posts
I don't think you should look for a mouthpiece to find your sound. You should find your sound and then look for a mouthpiece that gets you close to that imagined tone. No mouthpiece will get you magically there but if you get one that get's you in the ballpark then you can work on perfecting your sound over the rest of your life..............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think you should look for a mouthpiece to find your sound. You should find your sound and then look for a mouthpiece that gets you close to that imagined tone. No mouthpiece will get you magically there but if you get one that get's you in the ballpark then you can work on perfecting your sound over the rest of your life..............
Exactly Nefertiti!!! I already have imaginated "my sound", and I am in fact, looking for the setup that close me to it. That is my current situation.

I have played (in the same rehearshal) with several mouthpieces (one metal, and several hard rubber) and I have listened that same (my) embochure and same (my) saxophone, gives VERY different kind of sounds, more brilliant, more warm, with a better articulation detail or less detail, Etc.

JL says that the setup will not change almost anything, and that could be a big true for him (there are a very few universal truths). But for me, I have probed that different setup can change my sound. Or maybe that 10% that JL mentions is a big thing for me... I respect and listen and analyze ALL the comments (that's why I come to this forum), but my personal (short) experience tells me that que setup could do an important difference (to me).

I have listened very carefully to more than one professional player who plays with the same mouthpiece (and same number), and I have found that they also share some similar features in the kind of sound (obviously not exactly the same because the reed, the ligature, the sax and of course the embochure), but some REAL similar features.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,883 Posts
If you're searching for your sound, try looking for it in your practice room.

Different setups may make a difference initially, but after some time you will sound like you again. Find a setup that's comfortable, and gives you control over the horn. The sound comes with practice.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,323 Posts
I would like a sound brilliant, but with a touch of warming. A sound round and full, with great pianissimo (pp) control but with full forte (ff) and confident and stable altissimo. With a reminiscence of a vintage (old) saxophone but with the projection of a modern one. And most of all, I want the vibration of the reed be (sound) VERY enhanced! I hope I do not search for too much? he he
In other words, like most of us, you just want a great sound!

Heed this advice:

I don't think you should look for a mouthpiece to find your sound. .
If you're searching for your sound, try looking for it in your practice room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts