Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am searching for a mpc that is bright, full and some way in a sense, "squeaky" tone on an Alto sax. It seems as my Yani Metal isn't working just for that that kind of stuff. What are some mpcs that might be recommended for that kind of tone?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Here we go again! I assume you want a Smooth Jazz/Funk/Rock type sound. While this is largely based on person playing the sax, some mouthpieces to get you closer to that spot. Here are some pieces to try:

Jody Jazz DV
Florida Dukoff
Claude Lakey
Drake Contemporary I, II, Studio
Beechler Diamond
H. Couf Artist Jazz
Runyon Quantum
Runyon Smoothbore (w/Spoiler)
RIA
Theo Wanne (unsure of model name)
Berg Larson

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been recommended the Vandoren Jumbo Javas, do you have any experiences with them?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I see that you are in high school. I remember in high school I played a Metal Link with a Fibracell to get extra brightness...if I had it to do over again, I would have just learned to shape my sound however bright or dark I wanted it. I would say save your money on mouthpieces right now and hire a good local jazz sax teacher for $25-30 per lesson. Then, they will know your playing personally and can make a solid recommendation on mouthpiece choice. Will save you tons of money in the long run.

·
6,831 Posts
I have been recommended the Vandoren Jumbo Javas, do you have any experiences with them?
Yes, another good choice.

As far as "squeeky", I hear "thin" and "bright" with that description. Nothing all to pleasent to my ears! But to each their own!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see that you are in high school. I remember in high school I played a Metal Link with a Fibracell to get extra brightness...if I had it to do over again, I would have just learned to shape my sound however bright or dark I wanted it. I would say save your money on mouthpieces right now and hire a good local jazz sax teacher for $25-30 per lesson. Then, they will know your playing personally and can make a solid recommendation on mouthpiece choice. Will save you tons of money in the long run.
I live in College Station, TX which means it's located at the home of Texas A&M which does not have a strong music population. so there isn't a good local jazz sax teacher.
And "squeaky" was probably not the correct term for the tone that I would like to describe

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
saxyminime;1683773And "squeaky" was probably not the correct term for the tone that I would like to describe[/QUOTE said:
You also said "bright and full." Since you're talking about alto, a bright sound is almost a given, so "full" is what you're after, or should be, imho. As you will hear over and over again, it's largely up to you, not the mpc. I'd say get a fairly standard mpc, like a Meyer or a Morgan, with a medium tip opening and go from there. Get a HR mpc. No need to spend extra dollars on metal.

·
6,831 Posts
Add Runyon Bionix to the list
Jody Jazz DV
Florida Dukoff
Claude Lakey
Drake Contemporary I, II, Studio
Beechler Diamond
H. Couf Artist Jazz
Runyon Quantum
Runyon Smoothbore (w/Spoiler)
RIA
Theo Wanne (unsure of model name)
Berg Larson

And as said many times, find a middle of the road piece first, get you sound concept firmly planted in your head, then hone it with a mouthpiece change!

If you are already to that point, I apologize (sometimes things aren't conveyed or understood well in type over the web).

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live in College Station, TX which means it's located at the home of Texas A&M which does not have a strong music population. so there isn't a good local jazz sax teacher.
When I was in high school, I drove an hour away twice a month to take lessons from a college professor that was a great jazzer. Maybe SHSU in Huntsville or someone in northern Houston would cut you a break on lessons for driving over. Having a great player and teacher to model my playing after made the biggest difference in the world. If you could line up 5-10 sax players from your school, I bet a good jazz teacher would drive from Houston and give you guys a masterclass for a pretty reasonable fee (maybe the school would even pay it).

BTW, nice recording of Desperado; judging from your brighter sound on the Optimum mpc you used, a Meyer 6, Beechler 5, or Berg Larsen 80/2 would brighten your sound up plenty. They would also give you more fullness rather than closing up on you when you blow harder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts