Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru

well, I suppose it would be nice to see which one you mean.

This artist seems to change ligatures as he does with shirts. I have found at least 5 on the pictures available on line.

If the one you mean is a Silverstein there are lots of threads on Silverstein ligatures.

But what does the fact that he changes ligature all the time tell you about the ligatures that he uses? Why would the last one be any 鈥 greater 鈥 (if any such thing exists) than any other? Woud the next one to come , the one he has yet to discover or being endorsing, to be even greater?

Distinguished SOTW Member
Easily could just be the one he pulled from his case or the most recent one someone sent for a promo.

I cant say in a million years I would buy one because one of my favorites played it.

I would not sound any more like Blake with his lig any more than I would with the same haircut

nice haircut!

Who is his hairdresser?

Reactions: JimD

as DT says, any hair is better than no hair :(

Registered
I've seen that he's playing with a new ligature. Any information?
I hate to break the news to you but ligatures don鈥檛 make a difference, it鈥檚 psychological and a myth. I鈥檒l give anyone a thousand dollars if they can tell the difference between ligatures when they鈥檙e blindfolded. Phil Barone

But a new ligature is Ohhhh so nice to buy :),

It must be one of the most sold items in any shop.

鈥 new鈥 ones are guaranteed to bust the business for a few months.

Registered
I hate to break the news to you but ligatures don鈥檛 make a difference, it鈥檚 psychological and a myth. I鈥檒l give anyone a thousand dollars if they can tell the difference between ligatures when they鈥檙e blindfolded. Phil Barone
I can't say it sounded different, but I can say that I noticed a difference in how the reed performs/reacts. I realized this when I recently bought a replacement lig for my Berg, from Berg. I was using a generic two-screw lig, and happened to be shedding when the new one showed up. I put the new one on, and there was a notable decrease in how the reed behaved. I went back to shedding with the old lig I was using. The next several shed sessions I used the new Berg lig and got used to it.

But maybe we're talking about sound, specifically.

Registered
I can't say it sounded different, but I can say that I noticed a difference in how the reed performs/reacts. I realized this when I recently bought a replacement lig for my Berg, from Berg. I was using a generic two-screw lig, and happened to be shedding when the new one showed up. I put the new one on, and there was a notable decrease in how the reed behaved. I went back to shedding with the old lig I was using. The next several shed sessions I used the new Berg lig and got used

But maybe we're talking about sound, specifically.
Have someone else change the ligature and see if you can tell a difference and do it a number of times. If there鈥檚 a difference you should be able to tell every time. I鈥檇 like to see the results. I really think it鈥檚 a matter of perception.

Phil Barone

Registered
Have someone else change the ligature and see if you can tell a difference and do it a number of times. If there鈥檚 a difference you should be able to tell every time. I鈥檇 like to see the results. I really think it鈥檚 a matter of perception.

Phil Barone
I don't know, but I always felt that with a Rovner ligature the sound seemed to come through a curtain. But then, that may be very subjective and based on false expectations or else, it may be that the sound projection of the MPC changes but not that coming out of the bell. I will go back and take another look, er, listen and maybe pull out my spectrum analyzer again.

Registered
There's a video that has been posted before of this guy using various things as ligs--rubber band, luggage tag etc. Sounds pretty much the same. Personally I have used these super powerful small rubber bands that are used to band lobsters' claws. Work fine. Fit all mouthpieces. Cost: 1 lobster dinner. (But 1 lobster =2 claws so a great lig deal. I play the brighter of the two.)
None of my other ligs came with a lobster dinner, by the way.

Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
I'll take you up on this :) I do these tests at work all the time. Almost on a daily basis. And yes, we do it blindfolded / with our eyes closed. IT's super easy to tell when your ligature has been switched.

Registered

Phil Barone
I'll dot it when the kid gets home for winter break. It could be perception, but my expectation was that it wouldn't have any impact at all. Aren't there are differences when ligs are too tight? I haven't tested that one. Oh, but there is a diff between the plates on the Optimum lig, though. Who knows.

Edit:
now that I think about it, I'm not sure the test will work because in that case I will be looking for differences, which could skew things. Before I was shedding, change ligs, and things were goofy. I thought I had the reed mis-set or the lig in the wrong place, so I adjusted it a few times.. still goofy.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Registered
My perception about ligature has always been that indeed they do not change the sound, but some of them are made in a way that they can compensate the imperfections of the reed or of the mouthpiece, helping to have a better seal and stuff like that.

I played once with a very high end ligature, a french one called JLV ( https://www.ligature-jlv.com/en/jlv-ligature-for-saxophone-xml-358_406_357-819.html ) a friend once bought for his alto mouthpiece. The result were indeed spectacular and the skeptical part of me was blown away by that. I tried it once again on my soprano as I was interested to get the same wow effect, and I felt nor heard no change at all. My take on this is that with my Soprano Planet mouthpiece is very well made and there are no flaws to compensate to begin with, so the ligature specificities were useless.

I haven't had the chance to play Phil Barone mouthpiece yet, but his reputation speaks for himself, and I'm pretty confident that his mouthpieces too probably does not need a 200鈧 ligature. :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts