Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just puchased a 1964 Super Dynaction tenor and it is great to play one again. It has been 27 years since the last time I played an SDA tenor. My question is about the pads. I know that they are held in with the screws and washers and this can be problematic for repair techs. My repairman recommends that when it is time to replace the pads, and it will need this in the near future, that the threaded posts be ground out of the pad cups and the pads put in using only shelac like most other saxophones. He feels this will save time and trouble in the future as far as set up and pad replacement. I am concerned about this because I don't want to change something that cannot be reversed and how will this change the tone and power of such a lush sounding horn? Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, JON

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Opera/Dynaction does still have the screws and washers and after having the same tech set it up it has played great. Occasionally I will clamp the keys when I start noticing little leaks while playing and this has worked so far. I don't play my altos as much as the tenors so they might not see the light of day for a week or two. I Just like playing tenor more, but it was the purchase of the Chu Berry that got me to start playing again after taking about 20 years off.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Noj the Terrible said:
My repairman recommends that when it is time to replace the pads, and it will need this in the near future, that the threaded posts be ground out of the pad cups and the pads put in using only shelac like most other saxophones. He feels this will save time and trouble in the future as far as set up and pad replacement.
RUN!!!

Get another tech who knows how to work on a SDA. Your tech sounds he's too lazy to do it right. The only time he's saving is his at your expense. Buffet designed the horn that way and that's the way you should keep it IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Buffet

I agree with TJ. Check out my avatar :D My Dynaction tenor has original flat metal resonators. It seems to me the pad is alot more stable and less leak prone with the screw in resonators. I'm not willing to experiment outside the design of the sax. It has a killer tone the way it is and I'm not messing with it. I think some sax techs try and talk me out of flat resonators because they do not have the expertise. I think they see it as hours wasted trying to get it at best.

Is it taught in instrument repair courses anymore?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my feeling but I don't know who I might take it to. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Buffet SDA repairman in San Diego or Orange county? My brother has used Nick Rail (not sure about the spelling) Music in the Ventura/Oxnard area and has had very good luck but that is a long way for me to go.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saxland said:
I agree with TJ. Check out my avatar :D

It looks very nice from what I can see. I have always loved Buffet SDAs but was lured to the Selmer side of the Force by a teacher in the early 80's when I bought my MkVII. At present it is still my favorite horn but the sound/Tone quality of the SDA is just sooo nice. I played a school owned SDA in my last two years of high school and that is when first fell under the Buffet spell.

Does your Dynaction play a C natural when going from low B to low C#? All three of the SDAs I have played did this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
I just took a look at it, but can not play it right now. The way the keys close down, it does look like a third tone is generated for a split second in the change between b and c#.

I take it your Dynaction alto does this?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not going up but there is a slight touch of the C natural going down on the Dynaction/Opera alto. I was just wondering if this was just something that happens with SDA tenors because it is very pronounced on them. My brother told me about it. He has been playing a SDA tenor since 1977.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am against grounding out the old spuds and taking away from the horn, but I have found when the pads dry you can get leaks around the reso under the pad. I would recommend having all the pads installed with glue and then putting the resos on. it should seal better and will keep the vintageness of the horn. Also will be much easier to install than shimming.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Noj the Terrible said:
That was my feeling but I don't know who I might take it to. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Buffet SDA repairman in San Diego or Orange county? My brother has used Nick Rail (not sure about the spelling) Music in the Ventura/Oxnard area and has had very good luck but that is a long way for me to go.
Try http://www.hornimprovement.com. I don't know if they particularly specialize in SDA's, but they are located in Mission Viejo in South Orange County, not too terribly far from you in Oceanside.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Saxland said:
I agree with TJ. Check out my avatar :D My Dynaction tenor has original flat metal resonators. It seems to me the pad is alot more stable and less leak prone with the screw in resonators. I'm not willing to experiment outside the design of the sax. It has a killer tone the way it is and I'm not messing with it. I think some sax techs try and talk me out of flat resonators because they do not have the expertise. I think they see it as hours wasted trying to get it at best.

Is it taught in instrument repair courses anymore?
Saxland,

So have you repadded your horn, or are you still using the original pads? If the latter what method did your tech use? I just acquired a 1958 SDA tenor myself, with all-original pads. And my tech says I need to get pads specifically made for a Buffet sax if I want to repad it while keeping the original resos. If he's correct, who has these? Music Medic?

Have any of you actually had your SDA's repadded and know the proper way to do it (i.e., the way Sarge would do it)? I guess I should just email Sarge! ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
SDA repairs

Noj the Terrible said:
That was my feeling but I don't know who I might take it to. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Buffet SDA repairman in San Diego or Orange county?
We'd be glad to help you. When in doubt, keep the integrity of the original design.

Thanks for the mention, com281!

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Could you elaborate on that, please? Have you ever worked on a Dyaction or early SDA with screw in resos? If so, in a nutshell what's the procedure like for repadding such a horn? Do you have to have custom pads fitted espec. for a Buffet? Or can you use any old pads?

Thanks in advance.... :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
hornimprovement said:
We'd be glad to help you. When in doubt, keep the integrity of the original design.

Thanks for the mention, com281!
Not a problem. I'll have to drop by and give you guys a visit. I'm up in L.A.

I have two SDA's: One 1961 "Sparklie" alto with the original screw in pads that are in excellent condition and a 1973 tenor in which the pads are a mixed bag of Noyek, nylon, etc. Do you at Horn Improvement stock screw in pads that will fit SDA's and Dynactions? My SDA tenor will probably be needing a repad in the next year or so. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
com281 said:
Not a problem. I'll have to drop by and give you guys a visit. I'm up in L.A.

I have two SDA's: One 1961 "Sparklie" alto with the original screw in pads that are in excellent condition and a 1973 tenor in which the pads are a mixed bag of Noyek, nylon, etc. Do you at Horn Improvement stock screw in pads that will fit SDA's and Dynactions? My SDA tenor will probably be needing a repad in the next year or so. Thanks.
Hey! I'm here, too! Sounds like we've got the same problem here, man. We SDA owners should stick together, you know. ;) So how do you like your '73? I owned a tenor of that vintage a couple years ago, but resold almost right away, partly due to financial reasons and the fact that the horn was just a little on the stuffy side. But that's when I was still fighting an off the shelf Tone Edge. After I got my Morgan--and more recently, my Rousseau, I've never looked back. But so far I'm liking the sounds I'm getting on my '58 tenor. However, with 50-year-old pads, it's REALLY in need of a repad. But like I said, my tech says they have to be a special size to fit an SDA. Hopefully, another repair guy will chime in here with how to go about doing this.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if my SDA tenor has the original pads or not. My Dynaction/Opera alto has had the pads replaced. This was done before I purchased it. The pads that are on it look thicker than some I saw on another Dynaction that was supposed to be original. I will contact the person I bought it from to find out if he had it done and who did it. I will post again if I find anything out.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am going to go with my initial feeling and keep the horn original with the screws and thick resonators. I will call Horn Improvement on Monday to find out what they can do for me and my SDA. :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Swingtone said:
TJ,

What's the story on your SDA's pads? Original? Or if repadded, what kind of pads were used?
I sold my SDA and DA tenors. I think most if not all of the pads were original on both horns. I still have my SDA sparkie alto. I love that horn :) It was repadded by the seller who overhauled it with original style tan leather pads. I think the metal resos are original.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts