Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping the experts in this subform can help me out. Years ago I owned a 1973 Buffet SDA tenor and thought it was a really solid player. At the moment I have a modest budget for my holiday GAS and would like to pick up another SDA (fits the budget and i think these horns offer alot of bang for the buck). Came across the following and am hoping the experts can weigh in ... does this look like original lacquer? Engraving looks pretty crisp to my eyes and nothing jumps out to me as a relaquer (ie, you sometimes see the BC brace lacquered over) but then again i am not a buffet expert and hope to tap into the collective wisdom of SOTW.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looks to be the right color, but would need to see some better pictures of the engraving Buffet didn't have the most durable lacquer up until the 1970's when they changed to epoxy lacquer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 222252 View attachment 222254

Appreciate the reply. What's throwing me is the SN pegs this as an early 60s horn and I thought those had the more honey colored lacquer. I've attached the additional pics I have but will try to track down a few more - not sure if these will be any more helpful. The "Super Dynaction" engraving on the bow looks crisp ... on a relacquer this generally seems more muddled. But the brighter color reminds me of what i saw on the early 70s SDA i had. Hence my uncertainty.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am no expert. I saw the same listing and wonder the thing question. It is an early super dynaction close to the Dynaction. And all the Dynaction I have seen has a very dark honey lacquer similar to early King Zephyr. In fact, there is an alto for sale in the market place right now at a good price. This one the lacquer colour seems too yellow for that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,713 Posts
Looks just like one I had from that era. Looks legit to me.

Its in good shape but no so good that something seems amiss.

Buffets seem to hold lacquer well from examples I have seen and there are many out there that still look good for their age.

I suspect more were used in pits than on stage during most of their lives and treated kindly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The engraving looks good to me, I think they made the Super Dynactions lacquer a little golder than the Dynactions. But even my Early Dynaction Tenor is pretty gold looking.

Lighting does have a lot to do with it. Even horn next to another horn; when I put my Dynaction next to my S1 the Dynaction looks honey colored and the S1 looks pale.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Yellowish looking orig lacquer SDA's are not at all uncommon, particularly if its a later one.
Does it have the original case?
Almost certainly an original lacquer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the opinions. Kritavi - would your opinion change if the horn in question is from 1960 and without the original case? Others - I agree lighting is likely playing a role. I've been looking for another early example of the SDA that leans this heavily towards the yellowish vs honey side of the spectrum - no luck thus far. That said ... consensus seems to be original lacquer and that is more important than color. My experience is that tonally these are fairly consistent across years.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Did you win this piece?

I have a 1971 listed for sale earlier but now decided to keep it. It is the tone that made this SDA so special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't end up bidding on it. I reached out to a sax shop I trust and shared pictures as well; received the following response -

"It is hard to say for sure without seeing it in person, but my instinct is that it has been relacquered. The color isn't quite right for this vintage, and the stamping on the tube has the "smoothed over" look of an item that was buffed (during relacquer process). However, the engraving is quite good, so it was obviously not buffed hard."

I had similar thoughts, though I know opinions varied in this thread. If original though, i would say buyer did fairly well on this one at $1450. Unfortunately for me, I will have to keep looking.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I didn't end up bidding on it. Unfortunately for me, I will have to keep looking.
I think my friend Franklin Carchi has an SDA tenor for sale in near mint condition. I will forward this posting to him or you can find him on Facebook.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stuartsax - I am one of the few that has managed to avoid all things Facebook and do not have an account. If you've got a link to where the horn is posted I definitely wouldn't mind taking a look. Appreciate the possible lead.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Stuartsax - I am one of the few that has managed to avoid all things Facebook and do not have an account. If you've got a link to where the horn is posted I definitely wouldn't mind taking a look. Appreciate the possible lead.
I don't think there is a photo album but I've forwarded this thread to Franklin. He said he would pm you but I don't think he is a SOTW member so that may not happen. I will pm you his email address.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I didn't end up bidding on it. I reached out to a sax shop I trust and shared pictures as well; received the following response -

"It is hard to say for sure without seeing it in person, but my instinct is that it has been relacquered. The color isn't quite right for this vintage, and the stamping on the tube has the "smoothed over" look of an item that was buffed (during relacquer process). However, the engraving is quite good, so it was obviously not buffed hard."

I had similar thoughts, though I know opinions varied in this thread. If original though, i would say buyer did fairly well on this one at $1450. Unfortunately for me, I will have to keep looking.
Good for following your instincts. Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but that neck looked a little like it had been pulled down in those pictures. Or maybe it was just the lighting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For anybody stumbling across this that may have purchased an SDA tenor recently ... What did you pay for your horn and in what kind of condition? Recently came across a really nice example in good physical condition but the asking price was $2500 and the horn needed new pads and an overhaul. This struck me as quite high based on what I've personally seen on the interwebs and from what I recall paying for a comparable horn ~8 years ago. At that time I thought these were kind of hidden gem, lots of bang for the buck horns. Have these horns appreciated that much in recent years? I was thinking $1800-$2200 would land a solid SDA with no pad job or overhaul required. Thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts