Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is seen as a good screwdriver set for sax users/technicians?

1) What size screwdrivers is an absolute must-have in such a set?
2) Any particular brands that you can recommend?
3) URL's to sites that you frequent to purchase these sets?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
I have a set of 8 slotted Wiha screwdrivers, which look the same as those in the Votaw link.

They are on ebay in a green pouch for under $27.
I use the 1.5 driver frequently.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,316 Posts
I have tried many different types and for me the only ones that don't break are the ones from Kraus. Expensive, can be a PITA to order from, but you only do it once. http://krausmusic.com/handtool/screwdri.htm

I have tried the Wiha ones, the Ferree's deluxe style, and nothing evens comes close to the quality of the Kraus ones.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the ones from Kraus. Nothing else compares.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
Ferees set are nice and comfortable, votaw set I dont think are very comfy in the hand, music medics set are very nice and comfortable but soft tips, jl smith's are nice, havent tried the kraus. But the rest are good,well there all good for there price,howeverb I now make my own as we go through them to fast

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,973 Posts
Chronically out of stock? Don't want to waste company resources making more product? Are they a subsidiary of WWBW??? Oh no I didn't!:yikes!:

At least they are honest, and offer an alternative.

·
Registered
178 Posts
the Votaw set are fine, I have a set, My main screw drivers are the Ferees handle with a Kraus blade for most pivot screws, a small Kraus handle and blade for adjustments screws, and a wide blade Ferees old style for pivot screws.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
The MusicMedic set is fine for occasional use but as Simso said above, the soft tips are a major let down on what are otherwise good drivers. Hopefully Curt will speak to the suppliers and either get this addressed, or change supplier.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I agree that Kraus supplies the very best screwdrivers, but it is important to note that Kraus only sells to professionals in the repair industry. From his website:

We are a wholesale supplier only to music repair businesses. Sorry, but we will not sell any products to individual schools, teachers, or musicians.

That is why I recommended the Votaw set to the OP.

·
4,691 Posts
The most important thing for a good screwdirver, is a positive fit into the head, inserted to the base of the slot. If its loose or ill fitting then you risk damaging the screw / rod, if you damage a rod with a poor quality screwdriver, then this can and does lead to having posts desoldered to remove broken / damaged rods, so to save a couple of bucks buy buying a cheap useles screwdriver set, you could be out of pocket the cost of the top of the line screwdriver set to fix the damage done.

As I mentioned before, Im okay with everyones screwdrivers listed above, Ive bought them and used them, but there even not up to the standard that I want my screwdrivers to be, hence why I make my own.

Screwdrivers are the tools we use the most, I have sitting next to me on my work bench when I strip a sax no less than 6 screwdrivers at any one time

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Thanks for the many suggestions. Much obliged.

Will have a more in depth look at your suggestions, but are you sure I can't rather buy these:
http://shopforband.com/store_screw_drivers.shtml

They cost only $4.95 :twisted:
They have nowhere near the necessary diameter in the handle for the torque often needed. OK for light work, but the cheap versions of these watchmakers screw drivers are much more likely to chip or bend at the tips. Good ones, like Starrett, Grobit, Burgeon are likely to be considerably more expensive. Replaceable blades systems are good.

I have not used Wiha. But that hex part of the handle, where the torque is applied, seems to be rather small diameter.

Ferrees ones aren't bad.

Kraus are in a league of their own, IMO. I reserve them, keeping them really sharp, for the toughest screws.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I have had very good luck with the Wiha screwdrivers. I used to do some work in a shop that had the Kraus on the bench, but I like the Wiha handles better. There is also a large choice of handles...I have never had any failure of the tip, or failure of screws that I could attribute to the Wiha screwdrivers and they are freely available to anyone (unlike the Kraus). You can see the different handle types available HERE

·
4,691 Posts
Thanks for the link, Ive actually got the 260 tech series, which have not failed but are just uncomfortable, this is the onl;y reason I dont use them, having just perused there website I like the look again of the 260 series but in the soft grip handle.

Placing an order today. Good to see they have handle options becuase the blades are good quality thats for sure

This is a nice set, tempting, very tempting

http://www.wihatools.com/900seri/92190Rack.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,019 Posts
I also really like the Screwdrivers from Kraus, but I keep them to use only ocassionaly on more problematic screws. For normal work I actually prefer other screwdrivers. I don't like the small usual screwdrivers like shown in one post, with very thin handles. I think I use mostly Wera and Wiha screwdrivers and also have a few from Music Medic (with the MM I haven't used long enough or for "harder" screws to find about the soft tip). I think a total of about ten of my most used ones are on the table (any stand would be too slow for me).

I prefer to have specific size/shape handle depending on size of screwdriver and purpose. Both Wera and Wiha have several types of handles I think. I prefer a smaller handle for the smaller screwdrivers I use often. A slightly thicker handle for slightly bigger screwdrivers (longer shaft and tip). A bigger handle for ones using to remove harder screws. For example the smaller tip screwdrivers from Music Medic have too big handle for me. I like the Wera ones I have for that, but all are relatively short shafts. Wihas are also good, but the ones I have are slightly too small diameter for bigger longer sizes (I think other handles are available).

I've tried those newer Ferree's screwdrivers, they have a hex swivel which I don't like at all, too big and uncomfortable in my hand (I prefer round swivel end).

BTW I heard that J.L. Smith is coming out with new screwdrivers that at least according to one person who has tried them, are very good. I think should be up on their website in a few weeks.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I have had very good luck with the Wiha screwdrivers. I used to do some work in a shop that had the Kraus on the bench, but I like the Wiha handles better. There is also a large choice of handles...I have never had any failure of the tip, or failure of screws that I could attribute to the Wiha screwdrivers and they are freely available to anyone (unlike the Kraus). You can see the different handle types available HERE
Also thanks for that great link.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts