Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice the screws that hold the rods in place can be very tight and some quite loose. If I tighten the loose ones up then some of the rods wont rotate. Bit concerned if I leave the loose ones as they are they might progressively loosen more and I might lose them. Perhaps a dab hot wax to hold them in place?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If they concern you, a drop of clear nail polish will do the job. When it is time to remove then it will easily chip off.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
If they concern you, a drop of clear nail polish will do the job. When it is time to remove then it will easily chip off.
I had the same problem with my soprano. This works, but have your tech check it out when your in for a checkup. Mine eventually replaced the point screw and problem solved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
You've already discovered how important it is that these types of screw (point or pivot screws) are carefully set.
The good news is that if you can tighten these screws up and it results in the keys jamming, it means that there's scope for adjustment to take up free play when the action wears.
If you can tighten these screws up and the keywork is still able to wobble on the pivots then that will affect the playability of the horn.

Thing is though, these screws need to be held securely in their pillars.
If you have a loose one, putting a drop of nail varnish over the head will help to stop the screw from coming out, but it won't prevent the screw from wobbling...because the thread isn't tight in the pillar.
What this means is that the keys will never be held quite as snugly as they ought to be...and the fix for that is to use a drop of proper threadlocking fluid on the threads of the loose screws. It's neat, it's efficient and it'll last.

There was a whole thread on the topic recently - here's a link to a post I made on it which might prove useful:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?153248-Thread-Locker&p=1596962&viewfull=1#post1596962

Regards,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fine Stephen but these thread locking compounds (which I used to make) have possibilty to make the screw hard to ever remove. The tiny little screw driver slot being so small and easily damaged.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Loctite 222 is low strength treadlocker (purple) should work and even 242 (blue, medium strength) if you're worried about getting it out. For little stuff one drop or one half is enough. Cure time is 24 hours, and it turns to powdery crap to clean up if out remove it.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
With loctite you are ok using the purple or blue, but never the red. When removing pivot screws that have had loctite applied it is extremely important to use exactly the correct size screwdriver to fit the screw slot. This can't be emphasized enough. If the screw is still resistant, slightly heating the post with a small butane flame will do the trick.

This set of 8 Quality Votaw Screwdrivers for only $37 is a great value for the price and has most of the sizes you will ever need on woodwinds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you accidentally use red (permanent) you're not totally hosed. Heat to 212F and it will break free. All Loctite is water based, so heat to boiling point and it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts