Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,

I am new in this forum. And I have a question, regarding to my recent purchase of the DV 7* mpc, which I found four lines of scratch marks on the surface of inner barrel of the mpc. Each line is about 1 inch long, starting from opening attached to sax neck.

Jody Jazz responded to my question, and commented it is unavoidable imperfection, due to the metal teeth groove during the mpc craft.

And would anyone with DV, or DV NY have the similar experience? The DV I am with, despite of the scratches I described, is working fine with my reference 36, brighter sound, accurate projection. I like it very much, and I appreciate their service too. And just I am maybe a little skeptical for such grooves, compared to the price range for the DV.

I would appreciate if anyone could share with me. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
My DV alto has some *very* fine marks on the baffle, obviously made before plating... certainly nothing which caused me any concern.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Ever seen a Lamberson? Very rough and lots of toolmarks inside but great tone on the outside. It just seems to be cosmetics. If it sounds good forget about it.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Ralph Morgan used to put scratches in his mouthpieces on purpose; he said that it helped to direct the air through the chamber. (Having to say "used to" in that sentence depresses me, by the way). Point is, the scratches are probably a good thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
Ralph Morgan used to put scratches in his mouthpieces on purpose; he said that it helped to direct the air through the chamber. (Having to say "used to" in that sentence depresses me, by the way). Point is, the scratches are probably a good thing.

Have you ever seen any of the old Dukoff Super Power Chambers with ridges on the baffle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the respond, everyone. I gave a second check on the scratches in the inner barrel. And I can see it was there already before plating gold. But it is pretty covered when attached to the neck, so I think it is fine.

Refer to what Martinman said, I never had opportunity on Dukoff SPC, but I had experienced the regular D7 and D8, big chamber mpc, thus very bright sound. There are uncrafted/unpolished inner barrels, where give thick, but very full/rich sound.

The sound from jody jazz DV, perhaps, is benefited from the design. Again, similar to Dukoff, a big chamber, thus, brighter sound. And the cutting and surfacing are made so accurate, that is to achieve the balance over all the range.

And both Dukoff and DV, or similar big chamber mpc, seem best with relatively big tip opening, and a little hard reed to blow.

And I agree with Mike S. I do need some time to get myself managed with this new mpc, and I think it will do great to my play.

Thanks, to Roger, and Dr. Sax. for your sharing

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
It is the large (aka high) baffle that makes the mouthpiece bright.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little add on:
The baffle is the roof of the mouthpiece chamber. A “high baffle” is when the baffle is built into the tone chamber, thereby reducing the chamber’ size. A high baffle gives a tone with more edge and brightness. Conversely, a “low baffle” results in a larger chamber and a somewhat darker sound.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Martinman said:
Have you ever seen any of the old Dukoff Super Power Chambers with ridges on the baffle?
Yes, I've actually played one and I didn't notice anything special about it...FWIW, Gary Sugal does the same thing with his baffles. I was just refering to the idea that if there are scratches on the inside of the chamber or throat, they MAY be there for a reason...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts