Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
no love for CA :(

last time I saw him was at the North Sea Jazz Fest in 1985, when you were still allowed to walk around with a big-***** camera in concerts.

Musical instrument Reed Saxophone Musician Saxophonist

VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
He is such a phenomenal player and such a sweet person. Every time I have seen him it鈥檚 been a wonderful show!

Premium Member

last time I saw him was at the North Sea Jazz Fest in 1985, when you were still allowed to walk around with a big-***** camera in concerts.

View attachment 240408
I was there too!

He played with the "Newport Jazz Festival All Stars" at Friday 12 July 1985 with Warren Vache on cornet and Norris Turney on alto and clarinet:
https://www.northseajazz.com/en/program/1985/friday-12-july/timetable/

Have seen him many times after that here in NL.

Here is clip of the full 1988 concert at the North Sea Jazz Festival (which I also saw live) with almost the same group as in 1985 (but also with Harold Ashby and Flip Phillips as quests on tenor):

Always good to catch Scott in a live concert. :)

Registered
Thanks for the YT link! brings back good memories. I hear so much Ben Webster in his playing here.

Premium Member
Thanks for the YT link! brings back good memories. I hear so much Ben Webster in his playing here.
Also here good memories, also because Jazz festivals still programmed 'real' Jazz acts in that time!

Indeed much Ben in his approach, but also some Flip Phillips (who plays around 0:48 in that clip) and Illinois Jacquet (who was a great inspiration for Scott, especially in his early days, when he played more edge and fire than later in his career).

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
He's been here of course. I saw him out here on the coast at the Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society about a dozen years ago (maybe a bit longer, I'm losing track of time!); sat in the second row right in front of the stage. Sort of like seeing him play in your living room (well, Pete Douglas's living room to be exact). Fantastic player with a great sound!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts