Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got up super early to get in line at a nearby estate sale this morning. Their ad caught my eye a couple of days ago: “ ... Martin Saxophone Low Pitch ...”, cash only. Lousy photo, just good enough to show left side bell keys, not a split bell. Emailed to find out how much cash I’d need. Priced at $105. Good enough to decide it was worth getting up early for the drive to be there when they opened, instead of hoping it would still be around at a more convenient time. Got there 15 minutes before the doors opened, with about 20 folks already in line in front of me. From the background in the pictures I’d figured out it was in the basement so made a beeline for the stairs, followed a couple of other folks down but found the corner where the horn was sitting before anyone else got there…

It’s very worn, engraving is faint, apparently buffed and relacquered, probably more than once, and current lacquer is well worn. So it’s a player not a closet queen, obviously been played a lot over many years, which I‘m thinking is a good omen. Straight, no dents to my quick inspection, all keys move freely. No leak check yet. Neck is clean, no pull down, unsure if it’s original though (were Comm II necks marked with serial #s?) but even if it’s a replacement I’ll be happy as long as it plays well. Given the cosmetics this is not a collector horn anyway. No mouthpiece. 😢

After reading the recent thread on here about not exploiting people who set overly low prices I thought about the price and decided it was a professional sale organizer so I don’t feel I was taking advantage of an ignorant victim. They’re professionals and should know what they’re doing. And I dropped another C note and more on other stuff that caught my eye, so I did my part for their profitabilit….

Pics will be up later, when I get the chance to take them. Posting this as I stopped for brunch on the way back to work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own question, and other additional details. Yes the Comm II necks are serialized, and this is the original neck, matching s/n, 141xxx. So circa 1941.
Also found the Lion and Crown engraving when inspected upon arriving at home. Engraving is indistinct enough that those weren’t easily discerned in the poorly lit basement.
Still feeling it was a good morning. Hope nothing melted down at work…

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice score! Enjoy the horn those are great altos!

Reactions: Brujo

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,255 Posts
Agree on the need to inform the seller. In this case these folks know what things are worth. They priced it cheap to get rid of it. Not many people at these sales are looking for musical instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,881 Posts
After reading the recent thread on here about not exploiting people who set overly low prices I thought about the price and decided it was a professional sale organizer so I don’t feel I was taking advantage of an ignorant victim.
Don't let those voices here ever sway you. It's just business, even with a private seller and their own goods. It's not up to you to do their research for them, and morality in this regard is never as clear as some would have you think; nor the true value of an object as perceived by others. Always be wary of those who broadcast their own morality. Often enough only the people close to them get to realize their true nature.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't let those voices here ever sway you. It's just business, even with a private seller and their own goods. It's not up to you to do their research for them, and morality in this regard is never as clear as some would have you think; nor the true value of an object as perceived by others. Always be wary of those who broadcast their own morality. Often enough only the people close to them get to realize their true nature.
Agreed. My approach to “just business” is somewhat flexible. I believe what goes around comes around, and I’m happy to help. I try to treat people the way they treat me, only a little more so. So treat me nice and I’ll try to be nicer in return. Screw me over, well don‘t expect me to lubricate our social interactions very well, just bend over and get ready to get what you gave…

that said, I believe in being fair and try to start out being nice until given reason to be otherwise. That way if I’m dealing with someone who follows similar rules of engagement to my own things start out nice and get nicer. OTOH from your posts Grumps I’m not sure our dealings would follow that path. Or maybe they would. It all depends…

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,223 Posts
I believe in being fair and try to start out being nice until given reason to be otherwise. That way if I’m dealing with someone who follows similar rules of engagement to my own things start out nice and get nicer.
+1

I would rather have a fair deal for both parties than feel like I won one over on someone for just a few dollars. I understand that The Art of the Deal is everything to some people. I feel sorry for them.

Yes, I have been taken advantage of in at least a couple transactions at SotW, but it has been positive in the long run.

It is worth it to me.

Regards,

George

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,890 Posts
My favorite of the vintage alto's...get it well set up and they're incredibly in-tune, have an absolutely wonderful rich sound, and a light, comfortable action on the keys. They are INCREDIBLY under-valued as players. I would put them up against any vintage alto, and the combination of tone and the super accurate intonation would win over many more famous horns, IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,223 Posts
Unfortunate you would believe so. I've had numerous business dealings with members here over the last twenty years without incident. Never had negative feedback on Ebay, buying or selling. I suppose with the limited personal contact that online interaction affords... and perhaps my moniker... folks like to assume the worst. In fact, for simply disagreeing with a member here, I was branded as a most ardent supporter of his political opposition.
Mike, I respect your right to your opinion, all I ask is that you don’t spread disinformation or defend people that do. Beyond that, I value your contributions to SotW, and would even enjoy meeting you face to face again for another beer.

Did you hear the one about a lawyer and a scientist that walked in to a bar?

All the best to you and yours,

George

Reactions: Brujo

·
Registered
187 Posts
Agree on the need to inform the seller. In this case these folks know what things are worth. They priced it cheap to get rid of it. Not many people at these sales are looking for musical instruments.
I AM going to estate sales looking for musical instruments. If they ask if I am looking for anything in particular my stock answer is "saxophones, snare drums and ham radios."
There is a community yard sale tomorrow next town over. I have high hopes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,881 Posts
... but I do have a line on a 100 dollar Selmer and I am heading over shortly..
Sounds like a scam to me. Last time I responded to such an offer, I was given a knockout drug and apparently flew around the world. I'd only meet them in a public place...

But getting back to the horn in question, about a hundred bucks is fair considering what shape it was in. I'm sure they knew the range to move it. And if privately sold, and that was all they were asking, it ain't highway robbery.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... OTOH from your posts Grumps I’m not sure our dealings would follow that path. Or maybe they would. It all depends…
Unfortunate you would believe so. …
emphasis added. Grumps, our first interactions on here gave me a positive impression of you. Since then I’m not sure if you’re grumpier or I’m seeing more of your interactions in that vein with others, but that made me uncertain. Not saying I‘d expect the worst, just less confident expecting the best. Your jump from my expressing uncertainty to you imputing certainty to me is an example of why.

no matter, I’d still be down for giving you a chance to show that twinkle over a beer. But I’m a suds slut, other way I spell my handle is “Brew Ho” because I’m usually down, or up, for a brewskie. So if you ever start gigging in Annapolis again make sure to post that news here, or PM me, so we can buy each other a beer.

one last comment. I get that you savor your persona as a cranky curmudgeon, I’ll even admit to a tinge of admiration at how thoroughly you exemplify it. But I’d suggest you consider adding “reclusive” to the mix. If you weren’t so eager to engage perhaps others mightn’t be so eager to bait you. Just some side observations here, for whatever they’re worth (not a plugged nickel, right?).

@Grey, don’t waste those interns on Grumps! Put them to work ferreting out fake news and misinformation campaigns. Or cybersecurity adversaries (my profess niche). HMU if you want detailed use cases, pm is fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No problem but I do have a line on a 100 dollar Selmer and I am heading over shortly.. Going to really screw this guy over...
Trying to top my $100 Comm II are you?

better watch out, I’ll sic Grumps on you!

😉

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got some pics. Like I said, I didn’t buy it for it’s looks!

the Lion and Crown can be seen better if you have a good imagination…
needs some pad work…
Probably wasn’t swabbed too often, maybe about as often as it was buffed? 😢

1 - 15 of 15 Posts