Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I walked into the yearly clearance sale at my local shop this morning with absolutely (I thought) no GAS. At most I was going to buy a reed holder if it was really cheap. anyway...and you can see where this is going...I walked out with a totally overhauled Silver Connqueror 26m alto (M270XXX) (+new bag +Selmer D mouthpiece) for $900 Canadian.

Steal?

Rory

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
But did you get the reed holder?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
You got robbed. Since I feel bad for you, I'll offer you $1200 Canadian to take it off your hands.

Saxaholic

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
3,240 Posts
Well suggester Carl, a gig bag is not the best case for any horn, (possibly for a monique thou a plastic carrier bag might be better)
Dave

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the offers! I can't remember the last time anybody offered to pay me 1200 bucks for anything. :)

Seriously though (and this is probably going to sound weird) but I'm kind of freaking out a bit about this horn. I mean, I love it and I'm going to keep it, but this is a real jazz horn and I am anything but a real jazz player. What I am is a weekend blues honker who plays a King Cleveland Tenor entirely for fun: that is (and maybe I'm reading too much into Saxpics' description?) but this hardly seems like a horn to be used for a drinking companion? If it's as nice as I think it is, this is by far and away the nicest thing I've ever owned period.

I guess I should at least upgrade the case before I take it anywhere.

If anybody's interested, I'll take a few pics and put them up here.

Anyway, I've only had a chance to play the thing for about 25 minutes so far; I'll try to get away from the tribe for a few minutes today but the big decision is tonight's blues jam: Connqueror or Cleveland:?

Rory

PS

One question I have is about the neck: Saxpics says all the 26Ms have underslung necks, but this one's overslung, like the one in the picture I posted above? At first I thought maybe it was a 6M neck on a Connqueror body?

Oh yeah. Anyone looking for a well used Selmer SA80 alto?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Great deal man. I'm very happy for ya. I have a lacquered one and it is an amazing horn. And it plays ANYTHING. With TONS of power. I play my alto in a sould band that is fairly loud and I almost never need a mic.

Happy playin'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I have 2 NW series I altos, a Chu and a 28M. I need that horn (and a 6M) to complete the set. Silver plate is a plus IMO as most are lacquered and years have not been too kind to them. I repairman here in FL has a fantastic lacquered one but they are not that common. Keep it, enjoy it BUT one warning, you will want a Conn tenor after you play that alto for a while.

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Bruce, when you say "need" do you mean NEED?

You're right about the tenor thing, but I'm way ahead of you: I've been yearning for a 10m ever since I got my copy of Keith Thomas' cd!

Saxaholic: thanks for the pm--very much appreciated--I tried to reply but it's jammed or something. Is your inbox full?

Rory

1 - 13 of 13 Posts