Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just won an Antigua 286 soprano sax. 2 necks, almost brand new condition for $550. It even comes with a Selmer metal C** soprano mouthpiece. It's barely ever been played and has been sitting around for about a year and a half so it's going to need a few repairs, but I'm still extremely excited about the deal. I've been playing a Jupiter 547 that I've been renting, (and haven't been that crazy about) but the dealer wants $700 for it. Looks like now I'll have a nicer soprano for cheaper than the one I've been playing! I was expecting to get a lesser soprano. I'll post my impressions of the Antigua versus the Jupiter when I have them both. Here's the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antigua-Soprano...271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a126d9e4f

·
14,303 Posts
Congrats . . . but are you sure of that model number? I'm thinking maybe 586 based on the photos on the auction page. And, I doubt that it will require much tech-work. My 590 Antigua sits in the case for months at a time but when I take it out and run a few notes out of it, it plays fine. DAVE

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats . . . but are you sure of that model number? I'm thinking maybe 586 based on the photos on the auction page. And, I doubt that it will require much tech-work. My 590 Antigua sits in the case for months at a time but when I take it out and run a few notes out of it, it plays fine. DAVE
Looks like it's this model: http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/antiguasopranos/586lq/ss3286lq.htm
If you look at the 2nd to last picture you can read the model #. Good to know it won't take much work. I've heard nothing but good things about these horns.

·
14,303 Posts
Yes, and the fine print read that it was formally known as the 586 (with a few added letters, etc.). Basically it is a 586, not a "286". That is a good thing. DAVE

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, and the fine print read that it was formally known as the 586 (with a few added letters, etc.). Basically it is a 586, not a "286". That is a good thing. DAVE
Okay, I get it. What kind of mouthpiece do you like on yours? The best I've found on the Jupiter I've been renting is a Yanagisawa 5, except the tip feels a bit close. Maybe the Metal Selmer will do the trick.

·
14,303 Posts
I use the same mouthpieces on all of my sopranos, straight, curved, modern, vintage. Morgan Vintage 7 and 6, Selmer Super Session J. Those run between .065 and .070, but there is much more to it than merely the tip-openings.

I suspect the metal Selmer is more closed than the Yanigisawa 5 but I could be wrong. Regardless, they all should play decently on your new Antigua. I have two Yanagisawa 5's - they are decent enough, but not for me. Mouthpiece choices are VERY personal and what works for me may not work for you. Enjoy the chase! DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Luv my Yani 5's on my sop and sopranino. Nice piece. I've had more expensive pieces, but not better ones if you know what I mean. I have never had much luck with metal mouthpiecs on alto, sop, and sopranino. But then I am more a Paul Desmond than Maceo Parker wanna be. :cool:

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Luv my Yani 5's on my sop and sopranino. Nice piece. I've had more expensive pieces, but not better ones if you know what I mean. I have never had much luck with metal mouthpiecs on alto, sop, and sopranino. But then I am more a Paul Desmond than Maceo Parker wanna be. :cool:
Yeah, the Yani Hr pieces aren't gonna get you into the Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane kind of zone. But they have a really nice singing quality and are easy to produce a nice tone with. Soprano's meant to be pretty anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats. Antigua deos have the best soprano in their price range. You can not find anything elese work as good as them and also in the same price level.

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the horn today. Haven't really gotten to play it yet, but it looks like it needs a little bit of work. Should be good as new after a little tune up. Beautiful horn though. Plus it came with an Otto Link mouthpiece as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts