Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts
In order to learn math you use your brain to solve problems. The more you use your brain the better at math you will get. This is the equivalent of a notebook that doesn't accept wrong answers, and corrects them for you on the go. There is no learning involved.
You have a false assumption which is that people who use this want to play an instrument like the piano. You could call that instrumentalism. What counts is the output, the music. If people manage to create good sounds with this, it has already served a good purpose. This guy (Henrik Schwarz) has played with Bugge Wesseltoft,are you really going to tell him what a good pianist is? I guess it's common sense that this Schwarzonator plugin will never substitute a real piano with all it's expressive nuances.

SORRY: i am having some real trouble with posting right now, guess it's the server. This discussion seems worthwhile, I am gonna chime in when the website allows it again.

Just a quick remark: Yes; I might have missed the point a little, or maybe i was just a bit too forward, but OTOH, this instrument is just what it is, and never will be more. The video is basically an advert and so you shouldnt expect it to be very unbiased. I just don't get what's wrong (or maybe evil?:>) with it other than it being very limited and not a real musical instrument. With all it's limitations, it might still be able to produce better sounds than a guy on a keyboard with very marginal knowledge.

Come to think of it: just imagine what a violation of music the piano (or, back then, the harpsichord) must have been in the eyes of MANY musicians back then....

haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You have a false assumption which is that people who use this want to play an instrument like the piano. You could call that instrumentalism. What counts is the output, the music. If people manage to create good sounds with this, it has already served a good purpose. This guy (Henrik Schwarz) has played with Bugge Wesseltoft,are you really going to tell him what a good pianist is? I guess it's common sense that this Schwarzonator plugin will never substitute a real piano with all it's expressive nuances.

SORRY: i am having some real trouble with posting right now, guess it's the server. This discussion seems worthwhile, I am gonna chime in when the website allows it again.

Just a quick remark: Yes; I might have missed the point a little, or maybe i was just a bit too forward, but OTOH, this instrument is just what it is, and never will be more. The video is basically an advert and so you shouldnt expect it to be very unbiased. I just don't get what's wrong (or maybe evil?:>) with it other than it being very limited and not a real musical instrument. With all it's limitations, it might still be able to produce better sounds than a guy on a keyboard with very marginal knowledge.

Come to think of it: just imagine what a violation of music the piano (or, back then, the harpsichord) must have been in the eyes of MANY musicians back then....

haha.
You could program a keyboard to play a Bach fugue by pressing only one key and it would be just as stupid. It isn't the music that's the problem, it's the emotions and thoughts associated with it. Because there is no one "speaking" to us through the music, it becomes meaningless. It's just a bunch of sounds with no real human element to them. Because the program corrects your mistakes not only is your input limited but your expressive possibilities are also limited.

For example, here is a video of a robot playing John Coltrane's solo on Giant Steps. I think pretty much everyone would agree it sucks. Very interesting experiment and commendable effort no doubt, but the playing is bad. Why is that? It has the technical skills and gets most of the notes correct; sure the tone is bad but the essence of it is there. The reason it's bad is because it's soulless; the robot has nothing to express. See my point? Sure I agree this is far below this program, as you have some choices, but it's the same idea. I'm not trying to hostile here at all, just expressing my opinion on this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
BTW gentle souls and true 'listeners'... While the social dynamic and theatrics may confuse or offend you... The 'Gaga' is actually a fine soul singer, writer 'and' pianist, & certainly not a 'non' player...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think this is too ridiculous. The point of this tool (if you actually read the page) is to give you the ability to create something that sounds alright really quickly while performing live. So this is something DJs are going to use when playing live parties etc so for what its worth, it does what it needs to.

And wow, the things some of you guys pick out to argue about. :a-run:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts
Electronic producers and DJs like Henrik Schwarz and Pantha du Prince (see him live:
) use a whole array of different tools and this thing might just be a new one. theapocryphaltruth - you are right, emotion through human influence is really limited with the Schwarzonator, but it will not serve, like a piano or a sax, as a real instrument that someone chooses to solely play on. it's an addition, and while the melodies seem a bit random, the player definitely has influence on the rhythmic output.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Electronic producers and DJs like Henrik Schwarz and Pantha du Prince (see him live:
) use a whole array of different tools and this thing might just be a new one. theapocryphaltruth - you are right, emotion through human influence is really limited with the Schwarzonator, but it will not serve, like a piano or a sax, as a real instrument that someone chooses to solely play on. it's an addition, and while the melodies seem a bit random, the player definitely has influence on the rhythmic output.
Hey, I have no doubt this thing can be put to good use. Guns, for all of the death and misery they have caused, can also be put to great use. No, I am not likening this to a destructive power like a gun, just admitting some good can come of it. The only reason I oppose this device so is that the creator is marketing it as a shortcut - a way to circumvent any practice. I don't find that cool at all. As a tool for DJs that don't really want to learn an instrument because it's not relevant to their interests, I suppose it's fine. It's not a perfect invention at all, but I guess for all intents and purposes it works.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts