Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Personally I wouldn't bother.

It is very expensive in the state that it its it will take a lot of work and money to make it playable and probably will never be worth the fuss or money that you put in it together with the starting price.

These Schenkelaars are the most puzzling of all.

They are not Orsi or Keilwerth or Arta Guban stencil and they appear to show some features common to Bohemian saxophones such as the pinky table.

However they have differences too. They may have been made by D枚rfler & J枚rka or with D&J parts or inspired to those (and a few more other brands too).

The rolled toneholes have incredibly thin rolled portion and I have seen them also worn out .

Whether they were assembled in the NL from bought pieces or made in Holland remains to be seen.

Often they are punch tamped Made in Holland somewhere (I don't see the eagle anywhere in the pics but it is totally immaterial seen the above considerations and the fact that I see tons of these in the NL without any eagle).

They are fairly common and often times fail to sell or sell for very low prices.

Here they have no market at all and only lately a few buyers resellers specialized in the low end market have taken to buy them for less than 鈧100 if at all.

In view of this, the asking price is simply ridiculous.

I would stay very well away from it.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Yes, I dunno what sorta 'deal' this is. I mean....one can occasionally find a Schenklaars Tenor on eBay in project condition for around $200...complete, all parts there...no holes to patch or fill.

$395 ??? That's only $50 or so LESS than what one in decent playing condition goes for....

I WILL say THIS, after having refurbed a few: they aren't BAD horns at all. They really aren't. They have that JK tone, they aren't terribly built, they are pretty solid, and the Schenklaars keywork is no worse than most other European stencils of the era which employed traditional keywork (Malerne, Orsi, Weltklang, Alfonse Rampone, etc....).

They are fairly common and often times fail to sell or sell for very low prices.

Here they have no market at all and only lately a few buyers resellers specialized in the low end market have taken to buy them for less than 鈧100 if at all.

In view of this, the asking price is simply ridiculous.
Absolutely..... if one has a $400 for a project Tenor - that EASILY gets you a 16M, King Cleve, Holton Collegiate, Olds/Pierret Parisian, late model 'Crat, D&J, Kohlert, Santoni-made Evette, or even a Martin Indiana (to name a few)....all better choices.....

Registered
As a reward for putting up with my in-laws for a weekend (and 100% approved by my wife) I picked up a Carlton stencilled Schnkelaars on EBay for $200 expecting to put a little work into it. (there are some physical flaws of course)(I was outbid on an Amati Kraslice btw)
Long story short, as soon as I got it, I dropped a leak light into and found to my shock and surprise, absolutely no leaks whatsoever, anywhere. The pads are a mix of oldish and older with a few newer ones here and there. But it plays. Once I got used to the keywork I've been very happy with it. It has a slightly darker sound than my R&C stencil but not as dark as my Holton Collegiate. Matched to the right mouthpiece it plays very well in tune. It's solid and plays great.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Human body Brass instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Brass instrument Wind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Wood
Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Woodwind instrument Brass instrument
Cylinder Gas Plumbing Nickel Engineering

Registered
Here's the left hand pinky cluster. Watch Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

This is the only thing that confused me about the horn: Drinkware Brass instrument Wind instrument Bicycle fork Bicycle part
It looks like there should be another key somewhere that attached to this post, but it doesn't seem like anything's missing so I'm not too concerned about it.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I see many people still claiming that all Schenkelaars are Keilwerths

Obviously not all are, nevertheless, some are certainly keilwerth and I have had several in all manner of versions that were. I tend to buy them with confidence because I really like their quality.

The last one that i have for sale is this Keilwerth Toneking soprano branded Schenkelaars , note how the horn is rather more advanced than most Keilwerth Toneking sopranos featuring front F and a hook ring which aren't always present, couple this to the fact that these have the modern palm keys, this is as advanced a keywork as the Tonekings have even been.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.