Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info on this brand? This was a Dutch company,they made woodwinds (and maybe brasswinds too),under the name "Schenkelaars".I tried an alto a while ago,it was not in good playing condition but the sound was not bad,sounded big.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

It seems that some/many Schenkelaars saxes were Keilwerth stencils... If you want more info on this try Mr Miel Adams in Thorn (NL). If I'm correct he has taken over the Schenkelaars inventory after the ending of the Schenkelaars factory. www.adams.nl

Hope this helps,
Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello ! My friend also found a silver/platinum coloured very old Zchenkelaars eindhoven tenor saxophone i think its from the 1940-60 (serial number 04347) from a fleamarket. And I've owned it for couple years now. Has served me well after the maintenance but I'm wondering that does anyone else got the same sax? I mean same manufacturer at least. It's just a big mystery for me.. the whole manufacter and everything! I gotta ask from that url you posted also. But please if someone bumps on the Schenkelaars what ever tell me! :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think these saxophones aren´t from germany, and they are from Holland, and NO are stensils of Keiwerth. Years ago I tested one of them and it was not so good for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am from Holland and i know Schenkelaars . I must say that i always bought French saxophones like Selmer , SML .
Schenkelaars had not the quality of for example Selmer has .
Schenkelaars were very often used in brassbands , also in military music corps .
Schenkelaars did make some special saxophones who were very good if i must believe some people who had them . But these were special made , maybe in order for clients who had special wishes . There is a lot of information in dutch about Schenkelaars , and if you wants to know a specific thing about them , you can ask me and i will look for you and try to translate it for you if it is not to long .
But Schenkelaars saxophones are no top class , i agree with the person who wrote that he tried one and he did not like the Schenkelaars . There are a lot of people who are thinking the same . But Schenkelaars did made some special saxophones who are sold for big money . This is ofcourse strange .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,380 Posts
I think these saxophones aren´t from germany, and they are from Holland, and NO are stensils of Keiwerth. Years ago I tested one of them and it was not so good for me.
You are right and wrong. Shenkelaars...like D & J...did their own keywork on bodies made by Keilwerth. So the body came from Germany, and assembly of keywork/mechanisms was done in Holland.

This is why many people look at the horns and think them to be Julius Keilwerth !

;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,544 Posts
Schenkelaar bought stencils also from other brands and produced some horns with the worst rolled tone holes that I've ever seen anywhere and that were by no means related to Keilwerth, although they certainly bought body tubes from Keilwerth

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
I encountered two examples one totally not right , out of tune no good basic sound etc etc. it wasn't leaking so that was not the problem.
The other one however was quite a decent one. big sound and technically allright functioning.
So they seem to vary quite a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an alto one and I still have a soprano. I took some pictures of them. If you want more details or pics (for the soprano) just ask me.

·
39,544 Posts
the alto is a Keilwerth stencil (they did stencil keilwerth) and the soprano most probably a Weltklang (B&S). Schenkelaars has also bought Orsi.... there a a few sold now on Dutch websites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's cool, and one made it all the way to Algeria ! ;) Do you like the soprano ?
I'm a beginner and blowing in a soprano is too difficult to me. Escpecially for low E and F. So I can't give you an answer about the sound. It's bad because of me . I think also that the mouthpiece is a little unusual comparing to alto and tenor ones. The reed is larger than the space between the side rails. And it exceeds them on each side by 1 or 2 milimeters. I never played on another mouthpice than i can't compare. Concerning other parameters I found the keys soft and the horn easy to hold (comparing to no oher :albino:). Its weight is 1180 gr.
Now for the alto, I used to play it with a Selmer S90 170 mp. I liked its soft sound. Best players should get a good sound with it :cool:.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would back up the Keilwerth alto ID and Amati for the soprano sounds about right. I've worked on some of the NYC schools' Concord "Made in Holland" altos and tenors. They don't closely resemble anything else I've seen. One thing that stands out without having one in front of me is the neck receiver slotted in 4 places, every 90 degrees, with a clamp around the top. These horns are 50 year old school horns (one great thing about the NYCBOE/DOE is that, until the '80s, and sometimes after, they engraved the date of purchase into every horn. Some have been around a long time!!), banged up and sloppy, and I've tried to talk the teacher into retiring them but he loves the sound, and I'll keep them going as long as I can. I'd love to run into one in good condition, to see if they were any good before the kids got to them. Very funny that Schenkelaars may have made some horns themselves, but also got stencils from so many sources--and hit-and-miss sources at that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That slit neck receiver might point at an SML (French) horn. That would explain why the teacher doesn't want to retire it :)

·
39,544 Posts
Schenkelaars did all of those things: made their own , imported parts and body tubes, imported complete Keilwerths, Orsi, B&S-Weltklang and (G-D forbid ) Arta Guban.

SML was exporting to the Netherlands but their main buyer was Ansingh in Zwolle which sold their instruments with both stamps SML and theirs.

·
39,544 Posts
I have just bought a silver plate Keilwerth Toneking engraved Schenkelaars.

Very good horn. A Keilwerth trough and through.

·
39,544 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,380 Posts
I have an example of a Schenklaars made in-house in the For Sale section as well, just for comparison sake if anyone is interested.

I'd note that despite the shaky reputation, this is a good horn, really.

The other one however was quite a decent one. big sound and technically allright functioning.
So they seem to vary quite a lot.
Yes, well this is one of those, then.
Build is good, precision of keywork and posts and all is good, ergos are as fine as any other vintage horn, and she sounds quite nice.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts