Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a recent trip down to Chuck Levin's down in Silver Springs, MD in order to help my alma mater pick a bari saxophone. We tried several models but WOW, the Schagerl Academia series bari really stands out had and shoulders above the crowd. Schagerl is famous for their rotary brass instruments and recently started making saxophones. They have two lines, the Academia series and the 66 series. I believe the 66 series is made in Austria, along with the rest of their top end horns, and the Academia series is made in Taiwan.

We tried the Academia B1 bari sax, and it outplayed the YBS62, 52, and Yani 901 we tested against. The other saxes lacked healthy overtones and core, in comparison to this horn. Also, you know that "low-A bari sound", especially down low? The B1 is the only low A bari that, truly, sounds more like a low Bb. It has power, berth, everything you could throw at it. Response is even, even down low. It is very free blowing, more so than the competition I found. I found it versatile too. I played it with a Vandoren BL3 with a Traditional 3 reed, and it had a gorgeous tone for ensemble and classical sounds. Then I played more brightly and could get a nice big band sound. It plays as YOU see fit, and gets of the way. Best of all, it is in tune across the octaves.

My school is buying this horn on my, the director's, the players', and the store's recommendation. It sounded best, plus, offers excellent bang for buck. Give one of these a look if you want to try something different, they're great horns.

·
Registered
577 Posts
interesting...who still makes horns in Austria?
oh just re-read your post...you say they just started making saxophones? I would have assumed they had someone stencil for them. Therefore assumed Taiwan or China

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting...who still makes horns in Austria?
oh just re-read your post...you say they just started making saxophones? I would have assumed they had someone stencil for them. Therefore assumed Taiwan or China
They started a few years ago. The 66 series is made in Austria. The Academia series is made in Taiwan.

I tried a 66 tenor, it was very very good. So was the Academia model, just different tone. Chuck's didn't have any 66 baris to try, unfortunately.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Website is mum...did you catch how much are they asking for the 66 tenor?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Website is mum...did you catch how much are they asking for the 66 tenor?
Something around $2500-$3000, if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I wonder if they'll need to reconsider the 66FU model...just sayin :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
If the saxes are really made in Austria, I am interested. The Schagerl website shows some of the company's endorsers and the list includes Craig Handy and Harry Sokal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I s'pose it shouldn't really make a difference but here is a quote from local distributor..."The Schagerl saxophones are made in a Schagerl approved factory in Taiwan which is overseen by Karl Schagerl himself."

Maybe we can kill the "made in Austria" thing

however, I'm sure they have Italian pads and German steel springs and are made of a special French alloy of brass!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I s'pose it shouldn't really make a difference but here is a quote from local distributor..."The Schagerl saxophones are made in a Schagerl approved factory in Taiwan which is overseen by Karl Schagerl himself."

Maybe we can kill the "made in Austria" thing

however, I'm sure they have Italian pads and German steel springs and are made of a special French alloy of brass!
Were you inquiring about the 66 line or the Academia line?

Regardless of origin, they're great horns. Give Chuck Levin's or Brook May's a call for pricing, they're the U.S. distributors.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts

Regardless of origin, they're great horns. Give Chuck Levin's or Brook May's a call for pricing, they're the U.S. distributors.
I checked the Brook Mays website...nothing. I sent an inquiry to Chuck Levins about the Model 66 silver alto....

·
Registered
577 Posts

The quote was in reply to my query as to whether any of the saxophones Schagerl sell are actually made in their factory in Austria or in any other European factory or whether they are all stencilled from Taiwan or China. The distributor noted they had both the Modell 66 and Academica in stock and went on to say they were made in Taiwan.

I don't really have a problem with where the horns are made, (after all, why should a bunch of Austrian trumpet makers know anything more about making saxophones than a Taiwanese company that's probably been doing it for decades) just this type of deceptive marketing that is still going on. I don't really understand why horns don't have their origin stamped on them as a requirement as it seems to be in almost every other industry.

·
2,107 Posts
Even with the superior playability, one thing I'd have to seriously consider if I were buying for an institution is how it will hold up to school use/abuse. Along those lines, I'd also want to know about their parts distribution network and how easy it is to find replacement pieces. Hopefully since they are an established brasswind maker, the saxes will benefit from their existing networks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
They look like generic SA80II baris so should the need for spares arise (as broken keys or other parts can usually be repaired), then sourcing replacement parts shouldn't be a problem as most Taiwanese and Chinese baris are SA80II looky-likeys.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Even with the superior playability, one thing I'd have to seriously consider if I were buying for an institution is how it will hold up to school use/abuse. Along those lines, I'd also want to know about their parts distribution network and how easy it is to find replacement pieces. Hopefully since they are an established brasswind maker, the saxes will benefit from their existing networks.
presumably if the horns are from one of the established Taiwanese factories the parts will be easy to get...not that I, or anyone I can think of has ever needed any parts for a saxophone apart from the usual pads,corks and springs!
However if we are talking schools...and we were talking Baritones so it's possible that may be more of an issue.

·
2,107 Posts
presumably if the horns are from one of the established Taiwanese factories the parts will be easy to get...not that I, or anyone I can think of has ever needed any parts for a saxophone apart from the usual pads,corks and springs!
However if we are talking schools...and we were talking Baritones so it's possible that may be more of an issue.
Well certainly. I have never needed any parts for my personal horns either, but as you note, school baris take a beating and seem to suffer the most bizarre injuries amongst school-owned horns (especially if they are marched). I guess a decent shop should be able to fab something up to work in a pinch as Chris points out. And yes, they probably are made by one of the big name Taiwanese factories so it shouldn't be too big a deal...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts