Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here ever lost a tooth/teeth while on the bandstand? I was playing at the bar on Sunday and the harmonica player (great guy, good friend) accidentally hit my sax with his mic and knocked the mouthpiece right into my mouth. It just missed my front teeth. Man, talk about a scare: I was shaking through the whole set thinking about standing there with my teeth out, blood all over the place, etc.

Who knew jamming could be so dangerous!:shock:

R

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ohhhhh, yeah. I've had the mp smack me pretty hard after 'unintentional contact' with bandmates. So far I've gotten it in the teeth one time and the lip another. Serious pain and blood in the case of the lip smack.

·
Banned
101 Posts
did it to myself!!......a few weeks ago, had lined up a couple of auditions, so settled in for a long practice session on my bari.......wearing a harness......bent over to pick some music off the floor....and **whang** - mouthpiece smacked me in the mouth!!......chipped my crown, split my lip AND my gum right above my front tooth for about 1/2" - ended up having a stitch put in as it wouldn't stop bleeding! (the reed was a brand new Legere plastic - man, those suckers are sharp!!)
I've done it before but not to such a severe degree!!
Was a couple of weeks before I could play again.......luckily was able to get the crown bonded by a sympathetic dentist for $60 - or there would be a good grand down the tubes, and the horn in the pawn shop!! LOL!!

Talk about stupid!!!!........try explaining it to the ER staff!!.......I took the reed/mpc along to back up my story as I looked like I'd been in a bar fight!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well... never lost a tooth, but my sax has bit my lip pretty good on numerous occasions. Friend of mine had to go in for stitches once when his sax attacked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Try getting yourself a Conn sax, they attack you on a regular basis due to a misplaced neckstrap ring!

As a hockey player, I just consider the missing teeth and lip scars a "bonus" part of the personna....

Pete

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hurt my lip per pgaylord's post and couldn't play for week but
this is a wake up call.

wolfmaiden,

In the U.S. if a guy ends up in the E.R. he's likely to lie and
say he WAS in a barfight rather than admit a mistake.
Silly cultural difference I guess.

One of the nicest things I ever heard from a woman was in the E.R.:
"Oh, impressive swelling!"

rabbit

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wolfmaiden! Ouch:!:
Sounds like I got off easy.

R

·
Registered
218 Posts
Youch. I smacked myself in the chops a couple of times, without any help from bandmates. Only once hard enough to split a lip. I made it through the set ok, and got it to stop bleeding during the break. At the end of the night I ran a swab through my horn and it came out all bloody - yuck.

It's a comfort to know I'm not the only klutz on stage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,656 Posts
I once got clyde caught in the zipper one time; 'course I wasn't on stage at the time. It still hurt though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts