Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this one fibracell reed that is like at least a year old and it sounds great and I love it. It's starting to peel and I'm guessing it's going to die soon, but I don't want it to. :(.
I tried buying the newer fibracells but they sound terrible. Guess I will have to experiment with reeds to try to get close to this older Fibracell.

Anyone else go through something like this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
I am afraid you have to come to terms with the fact that all (bad or good) things in life come, eventually, to an end:(

Reeds are no different:twisted:

I've had fibracell reeds which stopped working on me from one moment to an other , you are lucky that you've had time to get used to the reed being going, going, gone!

Seriously, I've read of this exact problem on these pages somewhere else, apparently there has been some inconsistency between old fibracell and new ones which has been corrected , or so they say.

How about trying Legere reeds, they have a return policy and you can try them. Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
Simon Weiner said:
Is this reed the old style with the Letter stregnths? or the new with the Numbers?
as far as I know both are still available and co-existing alongside one another, but there were changements long ago which caused inconsistencies in the production....all contained in a number of threads on SOTW.....which cause some fibracell user to panic about going to buy another reed.....
The fear of the unknown !:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Jbroad572 said:
I have this one fibracell reed that is like at least a year old and it sounds great and I love it. It's starting to peel and I'm guessing it's going to die soon, but I don't want it to. :(.
I tried buying the newer fibracells but they sound terrible. Guess I will have to experiment with reeds to try to get close to this older Fibracell.

Anyone else go through something like this?
Be sure to get a nice headstone for that antique. Maybe you could get Rev. Dogpants to say a nice eulogy.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
milandro said:
as far as I know both are still available and co-existing alongside one another, but there were changements long ago which caused inconsistencies in the production....all contained in a number of threads on SOTW.....which cause some fibracell user to panic about going to buy another reed.....
The fear of the unknown !:D

Sorry about that. To clear up what i wanted to say. Is it the original kind or is it the Premire kind. The original were only available in the letter stregnths. The premire are available in the 10 different sizes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
Sorry about your loss. I was talking to someone last week who said they had 35 Fibracells (clar., alto, tenor) just up and die, no warning, no reason. I guess these things just happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts