Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 5-digit SX90R tenor because I was hoping for a bigger, darker sound than what I was getting from my SBA (45,XXX). I fell in love with the Keilwerth as soon as I played it. I loved the open blowing feeling and the great response in the low register.

After a few days of getting used to the horn I decided to do a side by side recording comparison with my Selmer. I was very surprised by the results. The SBA was noticeably darker and had a bigger, more husky sound than the SX90R, especially in the palm keys where the Keilwerth was very bright by comparison. This was the opposite results from what I was expecting.

I am using a handmade Guardala MB1 .115 with #3 Java Reds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Is there a sound file somewhere?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think SBAs really are bar none the best saxophones made, even to this day - every time I have the chance to play one I have to pick my jaw up off the floor afterwards - fast, slick, extremely resonant, very fun horns to play.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to put up a sound file later tonight.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
recordings coming. Sorry, I've been busy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Do you still have your Tenney Jazzmaster?
I'd love to hear you with that mpc on your tenor sound comparison.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have played both horns and I am using an sx90r nickel tenor full time. They sound different and also have different intonation. I just like the big low end on the keilwerth a bit more. But, selmer sba tenors at least the horns I have tried really play a lot better than many newer horns in the market today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts