Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I received an offer on a sax tenor sba 44.xxx silver, in perfect condition, 95% original silver, for $ 8,400.00. Is it a fair price?

I'm going to have to sell my mark VI 112.xxx relaquer that it's my sax backup to buy it, I was offered on mark VI about $ 5,500.00, so I need to know how the SBA price is.

In the past I've had SBA tenor and alto, both 49.xxx, good sax, but they did not impress me much.

I recently bought an SBA baritone Bb 51.xxx and the sax is awesome, put my mark VI in the case.

Well, what do you think about the value?

Thank you.

Wellison

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,929 Posts
If this horn is the equal of the previous instruments that “did not impress”, then their true value is nil.

Have you played it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet ...

This is the problem, I need to send the sax come for me to try, but for this I need to make a deposit in guarantee and send my mark VI, if it does not work I will have to return everything, and I will lose the money for sending the 2 instruments ...

But there's only have a way of knowing, it's playing, so I think of taking risks, but I need to know the normal value of these SBAs on the market today, not to pay too high or be unfair to the seller.

This is the biggest dilemma with instruments, you always have to test, and what's bad for me can be great for someone else, it took me a long timeI to figure it out.

I'm really thinking a lot if it's worth testing or getting my mark VI 112.xxx which is pretty good but misses for my main tenor, mark VI 63.xxx

Thanks for the help Dr. G

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
This is the problem, I need to send the sax come for me to try, but for this I need to make a deposit in guarantee and send my mark VI, if it does not work I will have to return everything, and I will lose the money for sending the 2 instruments ...

But there's only have a way of knowing, it's playing, so I think of taking risks, but I need to know the normal value of these SBAs on the market today, not to pay too high or be unfair to the seller.
Hmmm as a private sale I'd assume that is not exactly a bargain, so to pay what appears to be a deposit and shipping on sending and getting your instruments back (hopefully getting them back in one piece, or at all)

Plus previously you haven't liked SBA tenor, hmmmm that would not be a a difficult choice if it was me. I'd just forget about that one.

You mentioned your "backup" MKVI but not your current main instrument, and what you feel is lacking that you have to shell out huge bucks for an untried SBA that you probably won't like.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Pete.

Yes, is the case.

I doubt SBA is better my mark VI 63.xxx, is the best sax I play in more 30 mark VIs, 4 SBA, 3 Conn 10M, Selmer reference 54 e 36, many selmer SA I, II and III and many yamahas e yanagisawas, etc, I play in 20 years.

Price is hight for me, I need think more ...

Very thanks your help,

Wellison

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
In my view for the (stated) condition of the horn that is way below market price, at least in areas such as the metro NY area. Can you have someone on the forum who is local to the seller try out the horn for you? Obviously that is not the same as your trying it, but if you can find someone who has the requisite experience to render you a qualified judgment, it may address your dilemma.

I do agree with the general philosphy of not succumbing to GAS, but if you have wanted an original vintage Selmer, these can be great horns, and the price is good. I own both a 54,XXX SBA (in silver plate) and a 64,XXX Mark VI, and I can tell you that the differences are slight between them, and I can easily adjust so that I sound the same on both horns. If this is a well set-up SBA, you will be able to do whatever you do on your 112,XXX horn on the SBA.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,929 Posts
Not yet ...

This is the biggest dilemma with instruments, you always have to test, and what's bad for me can be great for someone else, it took me a long timeI to figure it out.

I'm really thinking a lot if it's worth testing or getting my mark VI 112.xxx which is pretty good but misses for my main tenor, mark VI 63.xxx

Thanks for the help Dr. G
What I’m hearing you say is that you have two Mk VI tenors. Correct so far? Second, that you have played SBA alto and tenor that haven’t worked well for you? Yes?

Given that, I observe that perhaps you actually have a preference for the core, spread, and projection of the Mk VI horns. Why not invest in overhauling your #2 horn to see if it becomes a better horn for you?

I just went through a similar process in the last couple years. I had a particular tenor that has been my #1 horn for the last decade or so, and wanted another tenor - call it a backup if you like. After playing buying and selling over about three years, I narrowed the contestants to four horns, selected the best, then sent it for an overhaul. Now I have two #1 tenors. Seriously, I can no longer tell you which I prefer. I have performed on both, and each is my favorite (a silver plate Borgani Jubilee “J”, and a silver pearl Borgani Jubilee “OBT”).

Best wishes to you finding your Grail(s),

George

P.S. I see your follow up post that you sent while I was writing. I have a similar long path ‘til now: Selmer BA, III, Ref 36, King Super 20, Buescher Big B and TH&C, and dozens more Selmers, Kings, and Conns, in the collections of friends. I can happily say that I’ve played enough horns to be content that I have played the best and am happy with what I have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Raghav,

one guy play horn for me and send me one video, and sounds great, but I yet think about it, because horn is my backup and more expensive.

Very thanks your help.

Wellison

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
In my view for the (stated) condition of the horn that is way below market price, at least in areas such as the metro NY area. Can you have someone on the forum who is local to the seller try out the horn for you? Obviously that is not the same as your trying it, but if you can find someone who has the requisite experience to render you a qualified judgment, it may address your dilemma.

I do agree with the general philosphy of not succumbing to GAS, but if you have wanted an original vintage Selmer, these can be great horns, and the price is good. I own both a 54,XXX SBA (in silver plate) and a 64,XXX Mark VI, and I can tell you that the differences are slight between them, and I can easily adjust so that I sound the same on both horns. If this is a well set-up SBA, you will be able to do whatever you do on your 112,XXX horn on the SBA.
It may well be below market value for "museum" horns for sale in stores in NY, but that is a far cry from a more realistic market value for private sales. If the OP is a collector then I'd agree , worth thinking about as a gamble.

Hi Raghav,

one guy play horn for me and send me one video, and sounds great, but I yet think about it, because horn is my backup and more expensive.
You can hear videos of people playing YTS 23 or Bundy sounding great...

Great looking instrument for a collector, the sound examples don't do it for me.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
The YouTube videos also did not do it for me. If that was all I had to go on, I would not purchase the horn.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The horn can be great, the video does not sound smooth and that is compression and the guys sound concept. You have to try it. Remember that the key openings on those old SBA tenors have big impact on response and resistance. I would aim for at least 6mm on left hand b key and 7-8mm on lower hand f key.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Pete,

yes videos in way pop music, and I play bossa nova and jazz all time, but I can hear good things in them.

I was not impressed though, I really need to test the sax to find out what the real sound is like.

Thanks,

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi George,

maybe your correct.

My 112.xxx is in top condition and great horn. I have more backups horns in last years, all mark VIs: 13x.xxx, 153.xxx, 154.xxx, 21x.xxx, one conn 10M year 1941, one reference 54, SA II and one great mark VI. 70,xxx.

Only mark VI 70.xxx and 112.xxx is really in same direction my main 63.xxx, but low end 63.xxx is fantastic, never search another horn in same way.

I play one very beaten and worn SBA 55.xxx many years ago and low end is very similar to my 63.xxx.

The musician who owned the SBA died a few years ago, but the family wants to sell the sax for the sentimental value of U$ 20,000, which is insane.

So I thought I'd try a SBA again, to see if it gets close to my 63.xxx.

Well, I really need think.

Very thanks guys your time and help.

Best resgards,

Wellison

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Roger,

really SBA needs one great attention in keys openings, if I solve the sax test I remember your words.

Very thanks,

Wellison

1 - 18 of 18 Posts