Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got a late 55xxx SBA tenor this weekend. It plays well, and there's nothing wrong with it, just a curious question:

Is my sax a "transitional" between SBA and Mark VI? It does play a bit like some early Mark VIs I tried in the same shop. Serial number it says M 55xxx, if that's important, cause I read somewhere that the m relates to a Mark VI somehow. I'm no expert, so I was hoping you guys could chime in.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The end of the SBA run and beginning of the MK VI run overlapped. MK VI was being brought out while SBA's were still being sold off. Serial numbers are equally as confusing; you can find 54xxx SBA AND 54xxx MK VI, and even 55xxx SBA as well. Apparently it was based on the parts and bodies they still had around to finish up, not a sequential change.

If you post photos we can tell if it is SBA, transitional, or MK VI, not by numbers. "M" is just a certain period, not related to MK anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
My own tenor would bear this out, too. 51,XXX, but it has some Mark VI parts on it.
51,xxx range is a bit early for M6, altho if it's 51,999 that might barely come in under the wire. Care to specify what 'parts' or post a pic or two?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I pretty prominent player here plays a 54xxx Mark VI. And another plays a 55xxx SBA. Both great players. Go figure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
51,xxx range is a bit early for M6, altho if it's 51,999 that might barely come in under the wire. Care to specify what 'parts' or post a pic or two?
Specifically, the "forked" F# keyguard, the strap ring, and the little badge on the front of the neck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts