Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I say a relac.....based on the color that the lacquer appears. It might be a smoking horn though. The price is right relac or not really

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
That is a re-lac, but who cares? It is a decent re-lac, though it needs a couple of re-solders and some light dent work. If you can get it at the opening bid maybe up to $5800.00 or so, that would make a great horn. Remember to budget for a re-build and a case. Buy a TM custom from Randy Jones at tenor madness for $4000.00 and be done with it!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
that is strange... even re-lacs re going for 8.000/9.000?? to much to much...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Let's hear it for craigslist, disappointed parents, and kids who don't know what grandad's old horn was worth! I picked up a Conn 444N clarinet in great shape (needs some pads and a little love) for $26. I've read this is the horn the great Artie Shaw played (though you couldn't prove it by me). But it is an all grenadilla wood clarinet with all the keys in excellent shape and no damage of any sort that I can find. People will get (and pay) whatever the market will bear, but there are still bargains to be had if you're patient. And there are NO magic horns that will make any of us great players. Personally, I wouldn't pay $5,000 for an old SBA but we all have to do what works for us. I'd also go +1 on the relac opinion, but wouldn't let that stop me if it was a horn I really had to have. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i agree if is a good relac then go for it... is sad is that relacs are now so expensive....too much too much...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys but I now found a original gold plated (Yes!!) SBA with a MVI neck at a similar price, that I can play test beforehand. Hard to beat!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts