2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a thread kinda in response to the super 20 fanclub,

let's hear about all your SBAs and MK VIs
and don't forget pics ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
If I had either one or another, I would probably leave a message here ...

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
About time and good idea. Lifelong V1 player SATB and have owned many. My current four have been with me over fifteen years.. low Bb bari. People love to take swipes at the V1 but it's a fact since it's introduction it has dominated and was Selmers finest hour. My new DVD's featuring Eric Dolphy, Clifford Jordan and Francy Clarke, Boland Big Band with Johny Griffin, Don Menza , Ronnie Scott and Sahib Shihab all amazing individuals on V1's.
I also really love my new King saxello and have owned a Super 20 tenor that I was dissapointed with but want to try another. A TT curved sop is next on my list and a V1 sopranino.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am currently playing a SBA alto (lacquer) and tenor (sliver plating). I also own a VI (lacquer, made in 1969). As you may expect, the VI alto is more powerful, brighter and the keys are more comfortable. The SBA is more lyrical and expressive. So my preference is SBA alto. Regarding tenor, this is my first one. So I cannot comment vis-a-vis other tenors.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i actually prefer the SBA ergonomics to the MK VIs i've played, especially the low A ones.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I have a ratty looking 5-digit relaqu'd (long time ago) vi tenor and a pristine ref 54 LE tenor. When I reach for something to practice with, it's always the vi.

Having a vi is like owning a Corvette. (I have one of them, too.) You don't need to join clubs and rub elbows with like-minded folks merely to reinforce your decision. Owners of other saxes/cars join clubs because they don't own a vi or a 'vette.

·
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al Stevens said:
Having a vi is like owning a Corvette. (I have one of them, too.) You don't need to join clubs and rub elbows with like-minded folks merely to reinforce your decision. Owners of other saxes/cars join clubs because they don't own a vi or a 'vette.
i take it your talking bout the super 20 club ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love my Chicago Jazz Series Alto, Earthtone Finish!

(I'm being repressed! I'm being repressed!)

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
No Club for me either

I owned a vette once, but I sold it when the first baby came. I have three grown boys now, and I still own my VI... and always will.....

·
3,862 Posts
Tommy, sounds a little like my dad:D
My dad had a choice of marrying my mother (shotgun variety marriage) or buying a Corvette.

I told him he messed up....he should have gotten the 'Vette!

·
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Randall, think about it, then you wouldnt have been born, i am not going to say if that was a good thing or not, ill let everyone else decide :twisted: :twisted:
;)

·
3,862 Posts
I would've been born! Just without my current last name! And my father would have had a lot better ride and one less divorce notch in his belt.

....and what would the SOTW have done without me and my slash and burn comments and envy-producing ways?!:D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mark VI club

Mactenor you have excellent taste in horns. Tenor Selmer Mark VI (182xxx) and a Ref 36. I am currently playing my Keilwerth SX90r, its a whole different beast with the Boesken I just snagged on ebay.

I like good horns, I don't care about the brand.

Datsaxguy

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a ugly relacquered 5 digit mark vi alto that is the 2nd best mark vi that I have ever played -- I also have a gold plated one that I do not use anymore , before these I played an sba and before that a regular early balanced action

and on tenor I had a 133,xxx mark vi that I was borrowing and also have owned a 185,xxx

·
Registered
253 Posts
189K VI tenor and 97K VI tenor. I'd like a chance to try an SBA tenor to compare, but I'm guessing I'd stay with the current combo. The 97k has a big, warm sound. The 189K has a more focused and slightly brighter sound, but still warm enough to avoid sounding harsh. The keywork feels slightly different on them with the left hand. Both have original finish, but both have seen enough use to be showing some wear. Both have brass dome resos. The 97k has roo pads, though.

I'm not as much of a Selmer fanboy when it comes to the soprano. I'm considering buying a Conn or possibly a Mauriat. I currently own no other horns. I did have some Selmer altos over the years, but alto is apparently not my thing. I tried a 107K alto recently that would make it my thing if I had the bread---wow does it sing...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
I am boycotting this thread because of the unjust exclusion of New Largebores. Minorities of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your cigar-cutters!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts