Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say Hello to the Devil. Introducing Holton's forgotten sax…

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ladies and gentlemen, permit me to introduce you to a forgotten member of Holton's saxophone family: the satanic model 666. You will agree it's striking appearance makes quite a statement. It is made of three different metals: copper, nickel and brass. After doing research, I believe I know the the name of this model: Super Collegiate. There are Super Collegiate trumpets, cornets and trombones but now the saxophone can be identified. I am guessing this by the serial numbers and tri-color design which fits in with the trumpet production and metals used. There is mention that some Holton model 666 saxes had the word "Super" on the neck, but this sax does not have the word super on it.

Holton made Collegiate brand horns going all the way back to the 1920s, but the Super Collegiate is seldom seen. The company was probably taking a gamble producing model 666 because it can't have been cheap to build. The bell, bow and neck are made of solid nickel… not plated. The body is solid copper. The keys and rods are nickel or nickel plated brass, I'm not sure which. The posts, strap ring, thumb rest and F# key guard are brass.

Manufactured in the 1960s, this is a well built, strong saxophone. The tone-holes are in line but the keys are comfortable for a sax made in this era. The springs are blued steel. Despite the mark of the devil, this is a sweet sounding alto with a nice dark sound and good intonation. It seems to be an upgrade to the standard Collegiate, but I have not been able to compare them. Supposedly, the S/C trumpets were co-designed by Al Hirt as an upscale version of the standard model, so it makes sense that this alto would be an improvement on the regular Collegiate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Re: Say Hello to the Devil. Introducing Holton's forgotten sax…

That NiCu look is spiffy!

Were the tenors like this as well?

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That NiCu look is spiffy!

Were the tenors like this as well?
I've only seen one other Super Collegiate alto and never a tenor. I'm not sure if Holton made one. Yes, it's quite spiffy looking. It would look great on a CD cover (remember those?).

·
Registered
418 Posts

Is this why they call the sax the Devil's horn??:bluewink:

Love the look!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts

Ok, a collegiate on steroids, this looks certainly like it is a very nice horn but one cannot help wondering about the apparent contradiction of spending so much energy in pimping up a model which by that time (1960) was outdated and outplayed by any other brand .A bit like having an IKEA bathroom fitting gold plated.

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

…spending so much energy in pimping up a model…
I wish I could compare it directly to a regular Collegiate to see if that is true. Is it possible the Super Collegiate had different body tube design, or tone-hole placement? I don't know. On trumpet forums, players say the S/C trumpets play much better than the regular model. If the S/C sax is just a "pimped" up version than it probably plays the same as a regular collegiate (with the exception that solid nickel and solid copper might affect the sound.)

…which by that time (1960) was outdated and outplayed by any other brand…
Wow. Any other brand, even Bundy? I haven't played every alto made in the early 1960s, but this one is pretty good. I mean, i wouldn't mind using it on a job tonight if my other saxes were broken. Holton gets a bit of a bad rap. That being said, i mainly bought this for the looks, the rarity and curiosity. But i was surprised at the good intonation.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts

Along the lines of this subject, I have a few Holton S/C trumpets and cornets, and they are nice horns. Not at all what one would call mere student or step up instruments, although they were marketed as such.

Same goes with my Olds Ambassador trombone and cornet. Great valves on the latter.

·
38,887 Posts

Well '60 Bundy were quite good horns.......I have played normal Collegiates , good horns but hardly anything special, so this looks very nice ( and great for collectors) but it is basically still the same horn.

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have a few Holton S/C trumpets and cornets, and they are nice horns. Not at all what one would call mere student or step up instruments,…
Mike, I didn't know you were also a brass player. What do you consider your main thing, woodwind or brass?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts

What a beaut---viva la Holton!!!!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts

Mike, I didn't know you were also a brass player. What do you consider your main thing, woodwind or brass?
Hi Soybean,

I play a whole slew of instruments, some far better than others, but DEFINITELY consider myself first and foremost a reedman. :)

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

What a beaut---viva la Holton!!!!
Geauxsax, I knew you would get a kick out of this Holton.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts

Soybean, that's the coolest Holton I've seen here since the Resotones and that full artist gold alto that Bruce used to have. Wowsa!!!!

where'd you find that? How does she play?

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It actually turned up on ebay. It's pretty darn cool, but it might be ugly to some people. So maybe it's one of those beautifully ugly things.

·
38,887 Posts

all these horns were inspired by the Super 20 silversonic

·
38,887 Posts

yes, except this ain't silver and it is a collegiate (and not a Super 20!) for every other intents and purposes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts