Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saxz "David Sanborn Model" Mouthpiece! Does anyone know anything about these new Japanese mouthpieces? They come in HR and solid silver and are apparently lost wax copies of David's mouthpiece.....like saxworks were! I have just not heard anything about them anywhere (not even David's site!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
great sound nef! no matter what i play i still sound like the supertramp sax player(not a bad thing)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
great sound nef! no matter what i play i still sound like the supertramp sax player(not a bad thing)
Thanks Dan. I as really surprised at how easy it was to get that sound. Last time I tried to sound like Sanborn was in high school and I gave up. I knew a ton of licks and solos but I could never get close to that sound. Playing this mouthpiece brought back some of those licks that have been lying dormant all these years. If I was still chasing that sound I would buy this mouthpiece in a second.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently worked with Brian Stevenson http://www.sax-ccessories.com
and purchased a #8 SAXZ David Sanborn Metal MP. I also took note of the Neff recording with the Rigotti Gold reeds. This combo finally has me playing the sound I have heard inside my head for years that had always eluded me. If you want to incorporate (not copy) Sanborn in your sound this will get you there IMO. In the past I tried to get there with stock Dukoffs and a Beechler Bellite but had no success. I also found my intonation with this MP is much better. I cannot tell you why but I am far less sharp in the upper register. This MP is well made and worth every penny.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wanted to re-address this thread:

I met Mitsu Wantanabe at this year's NAMM and he made a few recommendations for me. I found that the Stainless Sanborn model alto in 8 was the one I liked in the SAXZ line.

Now, I personally push Theo Wanne pieces. I really like my vintified Durga and gold Kali alto pieces. BUT for that punchy Sanborn-esk sound, Wantanabe's pieces are wonderful! However, I only got to play on them for a brief time.

Does anyone have any performance or long time experience with these SAXZ pieces?

·
12,787 Posts
I own a SaxZ HR Sanborn model. I really like it. I go for more of a traditional alto sound so I don't play it all the time but when I want to go a bit brighter this does the trick. The HR is not as bright as the silverite piece I played. At least that is my impression. For anyone going for the Sanborn sound get the silverite. That's as close as I've gotten with all the mouthpieces I've played...........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I have a metal saxz sanborn 8 and i want to know, if the sterling silver produces a diferent response and sound compared to the metal one. anyone can help me on this? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, have a No.8 Silverite Saxz Alto, which is what DS apparently plays. Bought on a trip to Tokyo last year directly from the manufacturer and they did it express time. Been playing for nearly a year on this with my Yamaha custom 82Z with a G3 neck and it's marvellous. Quite close to that Mark 6 sound at a third the price. It has this great empty yet dark sound that replicates Sanborn's to perfection. Not cheap at nearly £800, but as there only supposed to make 300 in total and I got no.244 back then, prices have gone up on their website as they finish the run. Some US suppliers can undercut this price a bit. I'm a late starter and have been playing for nearly 2 years, but after 5 or 6 hours practice everyday, I think I'm getting there and I can see that you've got to have good gear with you on the way. Heartily recommend the Saxz, it's the dogs.....

·
12,787 Posts
Hi All, have a No.8 Silverite Saxz Alto, which is what DS apparently plays. Bought on a trip to Tokyo last year directly from the manufacturer and they did it express time. Been playing for nearly a year on this with my Yamaha custom 82Z with a G3 neck and it's marvellous. Quite close to that Mark 6 sound at a third the price. It has this great empty yet dark sound that replicates Sanborn's to perfection. Not cheap at nearly £800, but as there only supposed to make 300 in total and I got no.244 back then, prices have gone up on their website as they finish the run. Some US suppliers can undercut this price a bit. I'm a late starter and have been playing for nearly 2 years, but after 5 or 6 hours practice everyday, I think I'm getting there and I can see that you've got to have good gear with you on the way. Heartily recommend the Saxz, it's the dogs.....
That's the first time I've ever heard Sanborn's sound referred to as dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts