Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since winslows are so hard to come by and I was thinking of trying one, can anyone out there compare the saxxas to them?
Do the saxxas ones shape up the the legend of the winslow?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't know about the Winslows...but when I saw the picture of the Saxxas I thought it looked an awful lot like the BG Jazz ligature.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,225 Posts
I spoke with their distributor in Germany (or maybe all of Europe) and he told me it's EXACTLY like a Winslow. I guess the patent expired or was never for international sales or something.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I have 2 Winslows. I just looked at pictures of the Saxxas, and I can say that it's not EXACTLY like a Winslow. There are numerous design differences. However, it's the same general idea, operating by the same principles. My guess is that this lig would work very well indeed. (I love the Winslows; have had 'em for maybe a decade. One is for "regular" sized metal tenor pieces; the other I got to use on my HR Berg bari piece, but now I'm using it on my RPC tenor piece, which has a very large exterior circumference for a tenor piece. The big Winslow fits perfectly.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,225 Posts
Reed,
I just looked at both of them (my winslow and the knockoff on line) you're right. They are not the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought an alto saxxas - the washers that sit on top of the ligature that hold in the cushions and springs seem to rattle/vibrate sympathetically with certain notes. It is annoying. I contacted the maker and he suggested I make a modification by - tying cotton thread around the edge of the washers so that there is no metal touching metal - which would be pretty time consuming and a pain in the neck. I can't be bothered.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does this problem happen with Winslows?

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Christian W said:
I bought an alto saxxas - the washers that sit on top of the ligature that hold in the cushions and springs seem to rattle/vibrate sympathetically with certain notes. It is annoying. I contacted the maker and he suggested I make a modification by - tying cotton thread around the edge of the washers so that there is no metal touching metal - which would be pretty time consuming and a pain in the neck. I can't be bothered.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does this problem happen with Winslows?
No: I have owned Winslow ligatures for years, use them constantly, and have never had such a problem. Furthermore, that directive from the manufacturer is shocking. They should replace the product or give you a refund. If I were you I would return that ligature and insist on getting my money back.

My Winslows are completely tight, and do not vibrate or resonate in any way.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just checked mine. Winslow and Saxxas are identical. Saxxas is slightly better finished and th side cushions are a softer material which doesn't slip like Winslow. There are no washers on either, but there are "E" clips. Mine dont move on either lig. Maybe you have loose clips in which case I'm sure either manufacturer would replace them
nicko

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah - I meant the E clips - not sure what to call them... anyway, i am interested to know that your E clips don't vibrate. Could I ask a few more questions? - when you tighten the ligature, and the cushions compress, don't the E clips sit up high away from the ligature? If they do, are you saying that they don't move when sitting up high? My E clips are quite loose and if you take the neck off the horn, with the mouthpiece and lig attached, and shake the neck, the E clips rattle quite a lot.

any thought?

thanks again guys...Christian

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, it is normal to tighten the screw until the clip just clears the body. I have never had probs with looseness and rattling
E clips are available from nut and bolt suppliers, a temp fix is to squash them slightly with pliers, (but it shouldn't be neccessary under normal circumstances) Another quick temp fix would be a dab of cork grease on the clip to muffle it.
nicko

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey nicko. thanks for the advice. I contacted the supplier and he is going to send me some more clips - perhaps the original ones were the wrong size? Anyway, I'll see how they go.

thanks again.
christian

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi guys. I took delivery of a gold SAXXAS Guardala lig about a week ago and i'm over the moon with it ! I intended it for use with my Studio tenor but it also fits my New Crescent alto. It's great with the tenor, but I am amazed by the performance on my alto. My sound has improved dramatically and the lower register, which I found a little tough to hit the notes, is now much easier to achieve. In fact, i'm ordering a second SAXXAS lig so i'll have one for each of my horns so neither feels left out ;)

My washers do have a lot of play in them, but I don't detect any rattle while I play so it doesn't bother me......but now you've mentioned it i'll be listening out for it :x

·
Registered
191 Posts
bass9396 said:
Do they have any dealers in the US?
Not sure, the company is based in Budapest, Hungary. You can either order through eBay, or direct at [email protected]

I have been dealing with a guy named dj. His English is perfect and service is top notch. International postage is fast and via recorded delivery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
an update to my previous post - the supplier sent me (free of charge) a new set of e-clips, which now work 100%. They clip on securely, and there is no movement at all. Very good service - he is very interested in improving his product - and he has solved my problem. He said that he had previously received a batch of e-clips which were advertised to be the right size, but they (as I found) were not the right size. He said that certain brands are slightly larger even though they say they are the size needed for the ligature (hope that makes sense). His emails are promt - and best of all - the ligature works a treat. I have tested it against the FL, the bonade, vandoren optimum, rovner dark, vandoren masters, and selmer two screw gold plate - and also basic brass two screws (and more that I can't remember!). (Yes I have a *major* GAS problem). Anyway, the saxxas ligature is the best of all in my opinion in terms of sound and control. It has the openness of the FL but also has the control and focus of the other ligatures, without the dampening qualities of the rovner dark. Though it isn't as bright as some ligs that offer more openness to the sound. Also, it is more focussed than the vandoren masters, which seems to be very (too) free blowing (like many inverted ligs). The only draw back on the saxxas is that it is a little fragile to use. I am using it on a meyer G refaced alto piece which is a touch smaller than a standard meyer, and so the lig will slip off if you try to adjust the mouthpiece. But, if you don;t have a super tight cork, its no problem. I just played a concert on it tonight, and it worked very nicely. I think the individual adjusting ability of the cushions is very important to the response of the reed and the openness of the sound. It lets the reed vibrate trully without clamping it down unnecessaryily. anyway, just my opinion. (sorry for spelling mistakes) - in a rush!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
With the alto lig you can put a little cork (for picture frams or the bottom of statues) on the contact points of the lig on the sides and that seems to fix the problem for me and doesn't seem to affect the sound too much.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I also recently got a SAXXAS lig for my guardala mb and it´s a great setup for me. I also have a original winslow for my alto guardala king. They are a bit different but not in a way it realy matters. The SAXXAS is better finished and mine does not rattle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
swampcabbage... interesting. What exactly do you mean - cork from the bottom of statues or picture frames? Do you mean just very think cork?

cheers

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
You can go to just about any drugstore and find little circular pieces of cork with sticky backing on them. These are generaly used to protect surfaces and keep things from slipping on table tops. Anyway, you can cut them down, sand them or shape them. I just put the sticky side on the lig (one on each side) and it worked like a charm.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts