Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
In response to your loving the FatCat. It's the first piece of his I played. Another great piece. The FatCat is different from his pieces because of that focused/compressed Stubby thing. The Florida is much more laser like. The FatCat makes me feel like there's a lot of room to shape the sound. Closer to the FatCat is the Slant and then the Arizona.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My favorite "regular" piece from Ken is probably the Red River, great projection, nice, well rounded sound, very free blowing. But I also have a couple of killer Slants, an early Naima, Xtra Darks, an NF or two, and a pair of Fat Cats that are just awesome to play. I also have a couple of medium chamber Downtowns that really have a good combination of power and body. My absolute favs, though, are a pair of Fat Cat 2 concept pieces I played at Ken's place last Christmastime. They have what he calls a "transitional baffle" that gives the Fat Cat a more rounded, complex sound. The more I play them the more I fall in live with their flexibility. If I was forced to play only two mouthpieces on tenor, for me it would be a no brainer - The HR body Red River and the Fat Cat 2 concept.
I haven't played a Florida/Gainesville, buy I do have a pair of Arizonas and a pair of Lives, one of which has an experimental large chamber, lots of projection with a noticeably fatter sound. They're a different world compared to the Naima, NF, Fat Cat or Red River. The former are everything Beau Barry describes (except the Live LC which is an interesting one-off). The latter are much more into the Slant Sig/Meyer/Zimberoff realm - good projection with complex, darker, well-rounded tonal qualities. They all sort of slot in between the Slant and the Arizona on the spectrum. I would say, in order of tonal characteristics, Slant, NF, Naima, Fat Cat, Red River, Arizona, Live.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
I have 2 early Fat Cats, I guess the current Fat Cats (2?) are different than the earlier ones. The Fat Cats I have are a bit darker than de Slants.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
I agree, his customer service is top notch as his mouthpiece.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah Luispa, Ken's dark side is very interesting. The Slant and Arizona have larger chambers but higher baffles. The Xtra Dark and FatCat have lower baffles but smaller chambers. This results in all the darker pieces having different voices but they're not that far from each other in terms of dark/bright. The Xtra Dark is solid with a kind of clarity but with the medium chamber it's more flexible than you'd think with practically no baffle . The Slant, like you said is pretty dark. There's something really honest about it's fundamental to upper partials. The FatCat to me, is unlike any other piece I've played. Lots if resistance, maybe compression (turbulence?). Since I got the Arizona I haven't played anything else. Dark, focused, thick and really powerful. What a funky baffle. I know I'm being a goofy mouthpiece dork. I had intended to just play one piece and forget it. I just stumbled onto Saxscape via a trade and found myself loving the response and eq of Ken's pieces. I've found no difficulty switching from one model to another. I had intended on choosing one piece but they're all so interesting i'd probably be happy with any of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks guys, for your kind words! Really appreciate it, and happy that you are digging the pieces. I'm working on some new Link-type designs, hope to have an announcement on that soon. Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was lucky enough to pick up an Xtra Dark, a Fat Cat, and a Slant, all "B-stock," on the big auction site a couple of years ago, then had them finished by well-regarded refacers. I've tried out a few other mpcs since then whenever GAS crops up, but I always return to the Saxscape pieces. My favorite is the Xtra Dark. It does just what I like to de-emphasize upper partials, while still projecting and giving a bit of buzz when called on.

Another thing I like about Saxscape pieces is the material: Delrin seems like such a perfect choice for a sax mouthpiece. Dense, stable, and never gets that sulfury smell.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts