Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
@brasscane Thanks, glad you like the design!
@Scott Peters Really appreciate you letting me borrow your horn! Hope to have some bari prototypes by the summer.
@Mark R Glad you like that ligature, it seems to work well for a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thanks guys for your wonderful comments, really appreciate it!

Danny Walsh, Mitch Paliga, and I have been using the Rico RTS2 ligature lately with great results. They're available on Amazon.com:

Ligature and cap: https://www.amazon.com/Rico-Ligatur...57077475&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-3-catcorr

Ligature only: https://www.amazon.com/Rico-Ligatur...56746957&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-2-catcorr

View attachment 234482

The cap is actually one of the nicer-made ones I've tried, as well.
I just heard back from D'Addario, this ligature is being discontinued: "These are being discontinued, unfortunately. We simply haven't seen the demand for it when compared to

the H ligature option."

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,583 Posts
I just heard back from D'Addario, this ligature is being discontinued: "These are being discontinued, unfortunately. We simply haven't seen the demand for it when compared to

the H ligature option."
That's too bad. I have a feeling D'Addario would have sold a lot more of these ligatures if they had marketed them as one that fits STM size mouthpieces with as many Link players are out there. I only knew about it thanks to Ken posting here. If you want one I'd act quick. I got mine with free shipping for $14.95 buying from the link on Amazon and went with the standard free shipping, received it 2 days later. It's a great alternative to the Selmer 404 (IMO...actually I don't have a Selmer 404 to A/B compare, but I like the ligature) for less than half the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)

the H ligature option."
I may pick one up before they go away. I must say though, I really like the metal v16 optimum ligature on my Live. The optimum looks like it was designed for the Saxscape. It is very secure and quick to put on with just the one screw...and it looks really great! My 404 is good too but the optimum is definitely my favorite.

·
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Is the cap that comes with these Rico ligatures the same as the one that comes with their H ligautre?
I don't have one but the pictures I've seen have that contoured cap that the h ligature have. Did your Live arrive yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to all, it's been a long while.

It seems no matter what dyslexic path I go down I always end up back on one of Ken's mpc. I've owned about a dozen of them. As of late I've whittled down the pile, but even last night I played my HR Hudson, my fav of all time. I have a FatCat, a Slant, and 3 Hudsons one is an old acrylic piece. The nice thing is that one can play a lesser expensive reed and still sound great. I've owned just about every piece except a Red River and his latest. One thing I can say is I can take start the night on the FatCat for dinner, and then change up to the Hudson and have a another great sound. BTW, on the HR's I've been using a Vandoren M|O lig for it's easy one screw handling, but the Saxxas, and an old Selmer brass ligs work really nice too. It's pretty easy to play on his stuff. I use a Chateau S90(dailey driver) and a King Silver Sonic. I wonder what nifty thing he'll think of next?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello to all, it's been a long while.

It seems no matter what dyslexic path I go down I always end up back on one of Ken's mpc. I've owned about a dozen of them. As of late I've whittled down the pile, but even last night I played my HR Hudson, my fav of all time. I have a FatCat, a Slant, and 3 Hudsons one is an old acrylic piece. The nice thing is that one can play a lesser expensive reed and still sound great. I've owned just about every piece except a Red River and his latest. One thing I can say is I can take start the night on the FatCat for dinner, and then change up to the Hudson and have a another great sound. BTW, on the HR's I've been using a Vandoren M|O lig for it's easy one screw handling, but the Saxxas, and an old Selmer brass ligs work really nice too. It's pretty easy to play on his stuff. I use a Chateau S90(dailey driver) and a King Silver Sonic. I wonder what nifty thing he'll think of next?
Glad you dig the pieces! I'll be refining and relaunching some of the old classics later this year. Thanks, Ken

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,339 Posts
Hi Ken,
Might as well ask you here, since it may help others decide. What is the difference between the Xtra Dark and the Fat Cat? Also, I have an older "plain" Dark that is one of the two pieces I play with any regularity. How different is this piece be from the Xtra Dark?
Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Brasscane, I just got a B-Stock Xtra Dark .102 today and gave it a bit of a play test this evening. Sweet player indeed.
After reading your query I got out my Fat Cat .102 B-Stock and took a good look at them. (too late to play them tonight)
Near as I can tell, the biggest differences between the two are that the Fat Cat appears to have a hair more baffle and a longer, more pronounced rollover. I haven't played the Fat Cat in a while since I got my Red River and an awesome modified Downtown. But comparing by memory, the Fat Cat has a bit more projection than the Xtra Dark and the Red River even more when pushed. I'm digging the Red River as a really good all around piece that can do just about anything if you don't need to cut through guitars and such. It can be subtle and go straight to loud, but in a rather refined way.
Ken states on his website that the Xtra Dark, "with its short rollover baffle and medium chamber, is inspired by the sounds of Rich Perry, Joe Lovano, and Joe Henderson, with more of a cool West Coast feel." I kind of agree with that, although I felt that the Xtra Dark was giving me a sound more similar to vintage Rollins, with a hint of breathiness. The Fat Cat, according to Ken, has a "Well balanced compact fat sound!" I'll go along with that. To my ears at least, it has the same laid back vibe as the Xtra Dark, but can be pushed a bit more and has a more full sound.
If it matters, even though both pieces are .102, I was getting better results with a stiffer reed on the Xtra Dark: a Superial 2-1/2 on the XD vs a Java Red 2 or Marca Jazz 2 on the FC and I rarely play more than a 2 from anyone.
I'll have to play them a bit tomorrow while the wife is out and make note of what differences I can hear while we wait for Ken to set us straight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Ken,
Might as well ask you here, since it may help others decide. What is the difference between the Xtra Dark and the Fat Cat? Also, I have an older "plain" Dark that is one of the two pieces I play with any regularity. How different is this piece be from the Xtra Dark?
Thanks!
Hi, the Xtra Dark is based loosely from a Selmer C*, with short rollover baffle and straight lower baffle. The Fat Cat is more roughly like a Dukoff Stubby, a bit more zip and dynamics to the tone while not being edgy.

The old "Uptown Dark" is a medium rollover big chamber piece I made mostly in acrylic, in 05-06, probably similar to some STM's or early type Links. If it's acrylic, it's fragile! I switched to delrin about 07 or 08 for its durability but didn't make many Darks thereafter, but maybe you have a delrin one. Please send me a pic of it if you can. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,339 Posts
Hi, the Xtra Dark is based loosely from a Selmer C*, with short rollover baffle and straight lower baffle. The Fat Cat is more roughly like a Dukoff Stubby, a bit more zip and dynamics to the tone while not being edgy.

The old "Uptown Dark" is a medium rollover big chamber piece I made mostly in acrylic, in 05-06, probably similar to some STM's or early type Links. If it's acrylic, it's fragile! I switched to delrin about 07 or 08 for its durability but didn't make many Darks thereafter, but maybe you have a delrin one. Please send me a pic of it if you can. Thanks!
Thanks. Mine is Delrin for sure. I will send you pics and serial number. I had an Xtra Dark in acrylic. That was a great piece. Hindsight is 20:20.

Addendum: Since you compare the Xtra Dark and the Fat Cat to Selmer C* and Dukoff Stubby, respectively, what would the comparison for the Uptown Dark be? Something Link-like I presume. Tonemaster? Resotone? Thanks again.

Another addendum: If/when you re-release the HR profile Xtra Dark and Fat Cat, please consider adding like 5-mm to the shank.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for the ligature recommendation. I bought the ligature from the amazon link, received it 2 days later and gotta say I like this ligature quite well and plan to use it as my regular lig on the Live.
I got 2 of them from Amazon!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My Downtown tenor prototype arrived today. Only had the chance to play it briefly with my B12, but it sure delivered the altissimo. It's well-made and very bright, especially with Rigottis. Can't wait to put it through its paces this weekend, maybe with some different reeds.

Oh, and a Vandoren M/O lig fit just fine.

·
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
My Downtown tenor prototype arrived today. Only had the chance to play it briefly with my B12, but it sure delivered the altissimo. It's well-made and very bright, especially with Rigottis. Can't wait to put it through its paces this weekend, maybe with some different reeds.

Oh, and a Vandoren M/O lig fit just fine.
My Live is very responsive in the altissimo register as well. Altissimo sounds much fuller on my saxscape compared to my metal v16 so I find myself up there more often now.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My Live is very responsive in the altissimo register as well. Altissimo sounds much fuller on my saxscape compared to my metal v16 so I find myself up there more often now.
That's promising! I've been working on the altissimo range the past month, and while it gets easier all the time to hit, it's still not easy, and doesn't sound great to me yet. Up to now, I've had best results with a vintage Berg 100/0 and Metalite 7, (not surprisingly), each of which has its particular character and charms. It'll be interesting to see if this Downtown beats them out.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts