Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've been playing on a Saxscape Live .110 mouthpiece...and, wow! For reference, I have always played various STM links and a metal V16 T77 which I have been quite happy with. Saxscapes have always interested me and the Saxscape Live model finally made me have to try it. This mouthpiece absolutely fits it's description of an Otto Link mixed with a Guardala. I really like my V16 for that same quality but, the Saxscape Live does it so much better! It has a thick rod like shape to the sound with a bright edge that can sound warm and beautiful or bright and cutting. It can take all the air you can give it and it can be played from warm to bright without having to get louder. It's so efficient. The baffle and chamber design is so complex when you look at it and feel it with your finger. I love the sub-tone it produces and the fact that it blends so well within a section. It just has a real thick core to the sound (both behind the horn and in front). Man, it's real powerful! I don't have the luxury of always having a mic and the Saxscape has allowed me to get that brighter link quality sound I like (Bobby Malach, Rick Margitza, Brandon Fields, etc...) projected through the noise with very little effort. I'm used to really having to push my STMs to project and they start to break up and spread out...not with this mouthpiece. I can not thank Ken Barry enough for this amazing mouthpiece!!! My concept falls perfectly within the Saxscape Live but now I'm curious about his other mouthpieces.

By the way, at the moment I'm loving Java red 2.5 but so many reeds work well on this...like all of the brands I had on hand. I'm liking the 404 ligature the best right now but my Vandoren Optimum, Rovner, and FL Ultimate Ligatures were great too. Thank you Ken Barry!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think Ken's mouthpieces are terrific. I was playing a Fat Cat prototype for about 7 years and loved it. I ended up switching to something that was a bit less cavernous to blow, but I would definitely consider some different Saxscape models in the future. My mouthpiece was pretty reed friendly as well.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I've been playing an Xtra Dark that was closed up a little by Brian Powell (to about a .105) for 4 or 5 years now. Great piece!

·
Registered
166 Posts
And I've been playing on Uptown Xtra Dark .105
(this is the original marking on it) for several years.
The mouthpiece served me for special tasks, when I needed a warm, matte sound.
I feel it as solid, with good intonation from bottom to top, even altissimo G is more easier for me on it,
Easy, full and rich, pleasant and juicy, but not garish down C B Bb.
I used it with Rico Jazz Select, now with Rigotti Gold 2,5 strong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
I love my Saxscape pieces; also that they are made of resilient Delrin. I had an Xtra Dark that I thought was fantastic. One of a few pieces I truly regret selling. I think Saxscape is underrated, but also that Ken Barry has contributed to this himself with the flood of prototypes and also some of the finished ones lacking a final touch. I have had mine adjusted by Brian Powell and they are now exceptional. I haven't tried any of his most recent line but they look to be better finished and hopefully they will sell really well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have a Live .108 which is finished perfectly. I think he's streamlined his line up a bit at the moment, although there's still plenty of pieces in the pipeline also listed on the website.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Live is finished great as well. Still looking for other ligatures that fit the slim profiles. What ligatures have you had success with?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Those of you with the slim profile mouthpieces, what ligature are you using?
Selmer 404 fits the Live well, or Theo's Enlightenment ligature for Otto Links. So basically anything for Links I think.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
I ordered a Saxscape Live tonight, couldn't resist. Thanks for your review. Must stop buying mouthpieces now though.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
I've been playing on a Live .108 for several weeks now. Very comfortable playing piece that is a great fit for me. I've played in a wide variety of setting and bands. I have received more compliments on my playing from fellow musicians and audience members in the past 3 weeks than usual. The Live really plays well for me and I am able to connect with my sax better. I've had best results using an old Lebayle Fusion ligature (not made anymore) and it also played fine with a Rico H ligature.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Rigotti Gold Jazz 3M

1 - 20 of 89 Posts