Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm proud to announce Saxscape is now making a Florida tenor model, a tribute to the great Early Babbitt Florida Otto Links. Just trying to make a piece that stays more within the boundaries of the older traditions of mouthpiece making, and gets that classic Link vibe while still being affordable to pros. Getting that chamber in the ballpark was not easy!

SAXSCAPE FLORIDA DESIGN SPECS:

Link Early Babbitt Super Tone Master Tribute
Large Chamber
Contoured Rollover Baffle
Standard or Custom Tip Openings
Standard Facing Length 48mm/2
Material: Delrin

Manufacture:

CNC Milled from Delrin Stock
5-Axis Plus Hand Shaped Chamber and Sidewalls
Each Piece Play Tested And Hand Adjusted

Pieces are available now through my reverb.com store, I have .100, .101, .108, .108 in stock. $275 new with 14-day money back guarantee.
https://reverb.com/shop/saxscape

Here's a sound clip I recorded on a gig this past Saturday.

Thanks for checking it out, let me know if you have any questions.

Ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
> Very cool! I really like the sound.

Thanks!!

> Hey Ken, How would you compare the Florida and the Arizona?

I think Mitch's description is perfect! > I just played both, the Arizona is more focused and brighter but not as much as the Live. The Florida plays more like a good Link, more spread, etc.

Thanks Mitch, appreciate it!

More pics/video/descriptions to come

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
I just played both, the Arizona is more focused and brighter but not as much as the Live. The Florida plays more like a good Link, more spread, etc.
I'm using the Live for everything. But man, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a collection of Saxscapes. The price could be so much higher but since they are currently so low maybe I should get another. I've really come to like Delrin because it's so easy to clean and the protection against drops and scratches. Does the Arizona and Florida have straight or curved sidewalls?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks :) Appreciate it! The AZ has straight sidewalls, and the FL starts curving outward about halfway from the tip to the chamber.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your pieces are amazing. Today, I alternated between the Live and the Xtra Dark. Completely different but both are internally balanced so that I could play either one.

·
1,305 Posts
For those with the slim line models, the metal v16 optimum ligatures work really great. Just one screw, doesn't slip, super fast on and off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
> Your pieces are amazing. Today, I alternated between the Live and the Xtra Dark. Completely different but both are internally balanced so that I could play either one.

Thank you!

> For those with the slim line models, the metal v16 optimum ligatures work really great. Just one screw, doesn't slip, super fast on and off.

I will check that out, thanks

·
1,305 Posts
Other ligs that work that I have tried out and own: Rico H, Rico nickle plated (being discontinued), Selmer 404. BG for metal tenor mouthpieces. I also have the Vandoren mentioned. I lean towards the Selmer 404.
I also like the 404. My horn is unlacquered and the Vandoren optimum ligature was pretty shiny (bight gold) so I wiped it down with a scotch brite pad and after about 3 weeks the ligature took on a nice bare brass vintage patina that matches my horn. I use the plate that has the rails that run along the length of the plate and it has a little more buzz than the 404. My 404 is more similar in sound to my FL Ultimate ligature. They are all very nice though.

I've played my Saxscape Live in everything from theater pits to lead tenor in big bands to cocktail hours to rock bands and this mouthpiece has impressed me more than anything else I have played.

·
1,243 Posts
Sounds very nice!
This is made of Delrin; does it have the same (outside) size as a metal Otto Link?

·
1,305 Posts
Sounds very nice!
This is made of Delrin; does it have the same (outside) size as a metal Otto Link?
Yes, the exterior of the new Saxscape mouthpieces are the size of a metal Otto link. The mouthpieces are made of Delrin which is more geometrically stable than hard rubber and metal. Meaning, it won't chip or dent if it's dropped. My ligatures haven't added a single scratch. In terms of sound and vibration...my Saxscape sounds amazing and is definitely vibrant.

If Ken came out with a hard rubber or metal version I would only buy it out of curiosity.... I've surprisingly grown to prefer the Delrin material. And, I've always played metal before this mouthpiece.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Mitch: Cool, the Live definitely can handle a lot!

@BobD: I'd put the order as: Fat Cat, Arizona, Florida, Live

1 - 20 of 20 Posts