Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking at a new stand and noticed that the saxrax stands don't look that stable especially if they were to be pushed from the side... Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have one and find it extremely stable. The front leg has a bar running across the front of the stand which prevents it tipping sideways.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
just looking at a new stand and noticed that the saxrax stands don't look that stable especially if they were to be pushed from the side...
I had the same concerns when I got to see them in action. I think the only thing solidly stable about them is the grip around the bell; and that may not always be such a good thing. To me, tripod designs are just as stable, if not more so.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
just looking at a new stand and noticed that the saxrax stands don't look that stable especially if they were to be pushed from the side... Any thoughts on this?
That's odd because to me they look extremely stable from the sides. And in fact, they are extremely stable all round.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I have three (two tenor, one bari), and they are very stable--more so than the also excellent K&M standard, Jazz, and Saxxy stands that I also use. The bari stand in particular is without peer--except possibly the long-defunct LaVoz stands.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you had two of the saxrax stands linked together (as i think you can?) it would be pretty much impossible to tip i think.

Regardless i got one fore my for my tenor and i think my original perception of their lack of stability was due mainly to the fact that they're rather high off the ground. Im looking at it now and at the bottom theres about an extra 3 - 4 inches of floor clearance that appears unneccessary. Correct if im wrong but if that wasn't there would that not lower the centre of gravity and thus make the stand more stable?

And grumps i was originally going to get a saxxy stand but low and behold they're no longer being shipped to australia, i was rather annoyed.

And really i only use a stand at home anyway, i pack my horn away between set breaks just to be safe, either that or i hold onto it.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i've been using the saxrax for a month now and despite the fact i thought it looked unstable it is solid as a rock. i'm very impressed, however i still think it would be better if it was slightly lower...

·
Registered
359 Posts
well i've been using the saxrax for a month now and despite the fact i thought it looked unstable it is solid as a rock. i'm very impressed, however i still think it would be better if it was slightly lower...
I've actually been thinking of ways to raise my stand and still keep it steady.

My thinking is that when I'm seated in a chair and lean to reach for the horn, it puts me in a slightly awkward off-center position. This, plus the fact that I only have one hand on it when I'm in that grabbing part of the motion. It makes me think twice sometimes. Yes, a higher stand makes it that much farther to the floor, should it fall, but I think it would be less likely to fall, and easier to hang onto if it started to.

It wouldn't be difficult to raise the stand a bit, but I'd want to mass load the bottom part so the horn wouldn't over balance the stand.

Or. I could get a Saxrax.

If you're thinking now, 'This guy thinks too much', well, it's been a long day in the practice room, and it's funny how the mind tends to wander around, thinking of things that need improvement. You ought to see the plans for my new music stand!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the saxrax is the perfect height for me to grab if i'm in a seat.

however i don't see how added height will make the stand more stable. in fact it won't and can't

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Love my tenor saxrax stand,best stand i ever used.Cost alot but worth it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Use it for my bass sax (same as bari but with bass yoke) works fine. But have no experience with other versions for smaller saxes with this brand.
I like the protec for tenor and alto best

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a SaxRax stand for my new J'Elle Stainer french-wrap bass saxophone in December 2010. It is extremely stable in all directions. However I don't know what their models are like for smaller saxophones.

BrizzoRay
Brisbane, Australia

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use one for bari and one for tenor. They are the most stable stands I used in 40 years of playing sax. Only con is that they are rather bulky to transport.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah they are a bit bulky to transport but they do disassemble and are much more transportable then. Regardless what it may lack in portability it makes up for in stability and praticality

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
I've had a saxrax for my tenor for about 4 years now. I'd say it's about as stable and 'bombproof' as any stand could be. Far, far better than any stand I had in the past.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts