Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you understood my point.

Look closely,These two horns are the same sax, but with two different prices....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
They just have similar serial numbers...coincidence. I think they are different horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
The chances of them not being the same horn seem slim given the mis-matched neck serial numbers also being the same....

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
That's the same ding on the bow. Is it a consignment then? Problem is, one of them doesn't have possession of the instrument. Maybe one has the neck?

Most interesting is, didn't someone get chased off this board for something similar (maybe not the same, they could each have a verbal agreement to sell the horn). But still...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
They are the same horn. Seems like a typo. At any rate you'd have to be out of your freak'n mind to pay that much money for either one of these horns.

Give me an old crusty VI any day of the week over this closet horn for a third of the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
That's the same ding on the bow. Is it a consignment then? Problem is, one of them doesn't have possession of the instrument. Maybe one has the neck?

Most interesting is, didn't someone get chased off this board for something similar (maybe not the same, they could each have a verbal agreement to sell the horn). But still...
As I understand, Tenor Madness and Saxquest work very closely together. When I bought a new Yani from Saxquest several years ago it was shipped from Tenor Madness. At that time (and maybe also now) Tenor Madness did the set-up on all new saxes sold by Saxquest. I would not see anything untoward about them both advertising the same sax. In my experience they are both great businesses to deal with.

Edit to correct spelling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,269 Posts
Maybe it's like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels...they're having a competition over who is better at ripping off gullible rich yuppies that play sax. It would be even worse, if Saxquest bought the sax off ebay for $3000 or so.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,171 Posts
They do business together. The horn undoubtedly belongs to, or was put in consigment with Tenor Madness. However, Saxquest has more visibility. The sax is listed in two places. Hopefully, they simply miscommunicated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
The posted tenor madness pic almost makes it look like a relaq, based on the color of the lacquer. Then again, the Saxquest horn looks like a relaq because of the unfocused shot including the engraving. Who knows!

·
3,295 Posts
The Madness pick looks like it was just returned from the engraver. My inderstanding is that some (not necessarily this dealer), but some dealers will take the Euro horns and have them engraved in the American style as they seem to be able to get more money for them that way.

I don't know if this is the case. Just sayin'. The Lacq looks original to my intrained eye though.

·
4,379 Posts
Based on what I've seen on their site, Saxquest discloses in their listing when a sax has been relacquered. As far as recent engraving, the best way to tell is to ask Tenor Madness. Asking sure beats speculating.

·
3,295 Posts
No one should have to ask about something like that on an 8,000+ dollar instrument, ever. Especially from a reputable dealer.

·
4,379 Posts
Post deleted by retread. No point in taking it further.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I bought a relaq tenor from Saxquest three years ago. It was clearly described as a relaq, and priced accordingly.

I would never have been able to tell it was a relaq.

·
3,295 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a relaq in many cases. And I did not accuse anyone of falsely reprenting a relaq as an original. Nor am I accusing anyone specific of engraving a Euro horn to make it look American or attractive to a buyer (as many would not necessarily know if a horn was Euro or American by this). I only said it looked that it was freshly engraved. And in the description it says nothing of it. Why, if anyone went through all that trouble (and expense) to have it engraved would they not say so in the description, why would anyone have to ask? Not that it is true in this case.

If I did something like that in my day job I could be fired or imprisoned. However, given the reactions here, I am suspicious.

That is all. I'll stop.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts