Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can't have happened often, if ever before: two 100 year old name jazz saxophonists dying in the same month, in fact a week apart, so it seems appropriate to memorialize them in the same thread.

Joe McQueen died in Ogden, Utah on December 7. He played with many name musicians who passed through town, survived 50 years after a throat cancer diagnosis in 1969, is survived by his wife of 75 years, Thelma, and performed to the end of his life: https://www.deseret.com/entertainme...queen-dies-at-100-weber-state-saxophone-music

Irv Williams died in St. Paul December 14. He had played the saxophone for 90 years, professionally since at least the early 1940s: https://www.minnpost.com/artscape/2019/12/remembering-minnesota-jazz-legend-irv-williams-mr-smooth/

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. Living in Utah I had the honor and privilege to get to know Joe McQueen. The first time I met him was in the 1980's when I was playing in a quartet in a singles bar in Ogden Utah called W.C.'s three nights a week. Joe walked into the bar and came up to the bandstand and asked the leader if he could sit in for a tune or two. The leader knowing who he was said he was more than welcome. After Joe began to play, I set my sax on the stand and went out in the audience to just listen. Joe had a sound and a style that was all his own and played everything with an exuberance that exuded the joy he felt playing his horn. I knew immediately that I was in the presence of one of "the greats". Joe was able to share his unique style and joy of playing the saxophone well into his '90's and he will be sorely missed by those of us who knew him.

Joe McQueen.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the pleasure of having Irv join us at our table maybe 20 years ago. He had the art of story telling down to a science. He was playing sitting down back then, but what a tone. A fantastic player.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Irv Williams ,not that we’ll known nationally but a great player smooth and swinging with a great tone.”Mr Smooth” a fitting nickname.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts