Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a saxophone beginner (2 years now..).
I can play notes from the sheet music (e.g. fakebook) with an acceptable tone.
I can do vibrato as well as bending notes (need more practice still)
I can growl
I don't have good control for overtones

I realize the music is kind of boring if I just play the whole song following the notes in fakebook and the sound does not contain any character.. (eg if everyone follow the sheet music then we will all sound similar)

I recently came across some terms such as grace notes, split notes, ghost notes, split tone, wha wha effect, slap tongue...............manymanymany lol

As a beginner trying to move on to intermediate level, I would love to add more flavor to the music. How does those techniques help for this purpose and how to use them? is there general rule of thumb in adding ghost notes, grace note?

I always listen to master such as scott hamilton, coltrane, brecker, paul desmond, john klemmer and transcribe exactly what they played. is that a good way to "train my ear"? What can I achieve over time? To develop my own character what theories should I learn? For example, I just learned what scale to improvise over 2-5-1 a week ago. I wonder will it help if I play the main melody from the the fakebook, and add random notes from the dorian, mixolydian and major scale at some point for a song written over a major key to add some flavor?

I bought a book yesterday written by mark levine cause a friend a mine recommanded it. What can I really achieve by learning from his book?

I practice playing third everyday.. (I know it helps but is boring )

I never take any classes, I am trying to master the basics before I find a teacher.

By the way, shall I use a softer or harder reed to increase in low register response?
It is weird to find out yesterday when I use 2 different pieces of vandoren 2, 1 works
great for low register and the other one doesn't. I am using a Brilhart Ebolin that comes with the King zephyr sax. I am thinking if changing to a ottolink or meyer 6 helps in the low register. I also put on the old henton mouthpiece and found out that I dont have to put any pressure on my lips to make a sound?! (in a bad way)

Thank you very much!
Lambert

·
SOTW Administrator
26,232 Posts
Hi Lambert,

I would recommend getting a teacher from the start. It's much easier to learn good habits in the beginning than to unlearn poor habits and relearn good ones.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Hi Lambert,

I would recommend getting a teacher from the start. It's much easier to learn good habits in the beginning than to unlearn poor habits and relearn good ones.
I sort of agree with Hak, but it sounds as if you're a way past "the start". It sounds like you could benefit from someone assessing your technique and showing you the way to get the effects you are looking for. After two years of playing with no teaching input except books and recordings I believe you should have been able to answer all your questions by yourself by now if the no teacher method was working properly for you.

While I always say I'm completely self taught myself, that doesn't mean I haven't been shown a thing or two from very good players over the years. I've never had an instrumental lesson on saxophone but I've always been a jazz band player and I've played alongside a hell of a lot of good musicians, not just sax players, who have passed on a wealth of information for free.

If you don't like the idea of going into a one-on-one, teaching studio situation, get into a band with friends who are at or above your level. You'll learn a lot and have a heap of fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts