Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of the BSS Newbury Street Deluxe! I got it specifically because I had a Saxholder that was incredibly uncomfortable sitting down. I've also found the Saxholder is more difficult to transport as well. Also, honestly, I would still get some kink in a very specific spot on my side using the Saxholder. No idea why I had this issue. Regardless, I've never had this issue with my Newbury.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I wanted to get a Just Joe’s but when I was shopping they weren’t in stock anywhere near me so I would have had to order from another country or even continent… shipping cost and delay made it a no-go. I kept shopping and I found a leather Protec “Less Stress” Neck Strap. It looks to be very similar to the Just Joe’s. It is available with or without a sort of chest cross bar piece. It is pretty darn nice and comfy - especially for the price. Nice review, thanks!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
well, if you are "of a certain age" or just have neck concerns or, (want to avoid them!?) there is nothing like the "neck-free" designs. They have their own issues and quirks: yes you have to try and try again with bending to perfection. But the total absence of pressure on the neck is a stand-alone variable.

I have a Just Joes or two, but if it rides up even a half inch, the physics and math/leverage/point of inflection/whatever changed everything. Simply, almost any next strap of conventional design becomes a problem directly proportional to its tendency to ride upward on your neck! I think a JJ modified (somehow...with a wedge shape??) would be ideal; when I shove my JJ back down its great!

I have a crapola shoulder harness thing... I bought for $12 on eBay that works wonders for me on bari. Looks stuuuupid...but works well. I ain't riskin' my old neck on that beast.

One last; the mobility and the feel of that, of the horn from the pivot or swing point is another variable or concern. JJ again and others do it well. I think the cross bracing designs,tend to make that feel somehow just a bit more awkward.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,742 Posts
I wanted to get a Just Joe’s but when I was shopping they weren’t in stock anywhere near me so I would have had to order from another country or even continent… shipping cost and delay made it a no-go.
Can you even get these anywhere other than direct from Joe? That's how I got mine; they certainly don't stock them anywhere near me.

Joe is located in Oregon, so it is a different country for you, but just barely.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Can you even get these anywhere other than direct from Joe? That's how I got mine; they certainly don't stock them anywhere near me.

Joe is located in Oregon, so it is a different country for you, but just barely.
They were in Europe. I communicated with Joe R., originally looking for the brown gel strap. He was out of stock temporarily. The price I recall was around $110 USD at that time. They were available through Matthew’s Muziek in Netherlands. Being that they were out of stock temporarily close by, I kept shopping and found the Less Stress Protec was $37 and on Amazon so I went that direction as it made more sense for me.

·
Registered
452 Posts

I like the Just Joe’s enough to have two. One ordered directly from Joe and the 2nd one from Matthew’s as they have the more luxe feeling Kolbl version.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,742 Posts
I like the Just Joe’s enough to have two. One ordered directly from Joe and the 2nd one from Matthew’s as they have the more luxe feeling Kolbl version.
So do I (a shorter one with a narrow slider for alto and a longer one with a wide slider for tenor).

What I like about ordering directly from Joe is that you can specify the exact length, as well as the hook and slider that you prefer. Both were "seconds", so I got them at a discounted rate, but I can't find anything wrong with them. Joe must be a perfectionist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I took some time to assess six saxophone straps, three shoulder/back straps and three typical neck straps while playing tenor. I have found that some straps are acceptable and possibly even “comfortable” until such time that I try a new sax strap right next to it. What was acceptable or even comfortable can become very uncomfortable through this trial approach. This is exactly what happened this morning. I’ll also add that I was wearing a thin polyester like shirt (my spring and summer daily wear shirts), so I felt everything each strap had to offer. I played each strap for just about five minutes each with a timer. Then I repeated the process again with an idea of what each strap had to offer.

6) My former favorite from the Boston Sax Shop—it kills me to say this because I love and adore Jack—the Whimory Balam Premium Back Strap. I found this strap so irritating to my middle back at the strap’s rear connection points. This is definitely not the case when wearing a thick cotton flannel shirt, sweatshirt, or sweater. But today it was. The strap does completely take the weight of the horn off the back, but the straps rear connection points definitely made it irritating. It was the most uncomfortable strap of the day.

5) The Jazzlab Saxholder Pro was the second least comfortable strap/harness. It also placed undo pressure in the middle of my upper back. I’m not really a fan of this strap in general, but it definitely takes the weight off the neck. It’s good for standing tenor practice, IMO.

4) The Boston Sax Shop’s Newbury Street Deluxe neck strap comes in next. It was quite comfortable at first, but the leather is a little too stiff and started to wear on me after a few etudes. Regardless, of its rank today, this is generally a very comfortable strap. Just be aware that the leather is quite stiff.

3) The Cebulla neck strap is next. It was really comfortable the first time around. After feeling the Just Joe’s strap, however, it fell out of favor. The leather is supple, but the pads are too thick. Everything else about the strap is really nice.

2) Just Joe’s neck strap is by and far the most comfortable neck strap I have. The leather is super supple, and the little pads in the neck support are quite comfortable—not too big like the Cebulla. I strongly recommend Just Joe’s neck strap.

1) The Marmadule Feather IV “Premium” back strap is simply amazing. The weight is sort of distributed mostly to the shoulders/ back, but there is also a very little weight (or at least pressure) on the neck from my perspective. It’s superbly well-crafted and has a guarantee of being able to hold 80kg! I have no complaints about anything having to do with this strap.

I hope you found this snapshot review informative.
Best,
Ben

View attachment 127516
Hello,
I took some time to assess six saxophone straps, three shoulder/back straps and three typical neck straps while playing tenor. I have found that some straps are acceptable and possibly even “comfortable” until such time that I try a new sax strap right next to it. What was acceptable or even comfortable can become very uncomfortable through this trial approach. This is exactly what happened this morning. I’ll also add that I was wearing a thin polyester like shirt (my spring and summer daily wear shirts), so I felt everything each strap had to offer. I played each strap for just about five minutes each with a timer. Then I repeated the process again with an idea of what each strap had to offer.

6) My former favorite from the Boston Sax Shop—it kills me to say this because I love and adore Jack—the Whimory Balam Premium Back Strap. I found this strap so irritating to my middle back at the strap’s rear connection points. This is definitely not the case when wearing a thick cotton flannel shirt, sweatshirt, or sweater. But today it was. The strap does completely take the weight of the horn off the back, but the straps rear connection points definitely made it irritating. It was the most uncomfortable strap of the day.

5) The Jazzlab Saxholder Pro was the second least comfortable strap/harness. It also placed undo pressure in the middle of my upper back. I’m not really a fan of this strap in general, but it definitely takes the weight off the neck. It’s good for standing tenor practice, IMO.

4) The Boston Sax Shop’s Newbury Street Deluxe neck strap comes in next. It was quite comfortable at first, but the leather is a little too stiff and started to wear on me after a few etudes. Regardless, of its rank today, this is generally a very comfortable strap. Just be aware that the leather is quite stiff.

3) The Cebulla neck strap is next. It was really comfortable the first time around. After feeling the Just Joe’s strap, however, it fell out of favor. The leather is supple, but the pads are too thick. Everything else about the strap is really nice.

2) Just Joe’s neck strap is by and far the most comfortable neck strap I have. The leather is super supple, and the little pads in the neck support are quite comfortable—not too big like the Cebulla. I strongly recommend Just Joe’s neck strap.

1) The Marmadule Feather IV “Premium” back strap is simply amazing. The weight is sort of distributed mostly to the shoulders/ back, but there is also a very little weight (or at least pressure) on the neck from my perspective. It’s superbly well-crafted and has a guarantee of being able to hold 80kg! I have no complaints about anything having to do with this strap.

I hope you found this snapshot review informative.
Best,
Ben

View attachment 127516
I bought what you call the "Marmadule Feather IV" from Amazon about two years ago. Amazon calls it the "Adorence Lengthened Shoulder Strap". It is the most comfortable and easiest to use strap/harness I have ever tried, my go-to for alto and tenor.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,212 Posts
I bought what you call the "Marmadule Feather IV" from Amazon about two years ago. Amazon calls it the "Adorence Lengthened Shoulder Strap". It is the most comfortable and easiest to use strap/harness I have ever tried, my go-to for alto and tenor.
That isn't the same thing. It's design resembles the Feather III with some differences, just so people are aware:

Adorence:
Material property Audio equipment Font Headphones Gadget

Feather IV:
Output device Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font Body jewelry

Feather III:
Font Art Bicycle fork Electric blue Graphics

Now I've heard the Adorence strap is good, but it's a different strap from a different maker. Don't want that to get misconstrued.

·
Registered
452 Posts
the ray hyman dosnt slip once you get it where you want it and it lasts a life time. it also is perfect length for both alto and tenor . it never bothered my neck if i was wearing a shirt with a collar which was mor e often than not for gigs.
Mine is so good at staying put that it feels like I had to use enough force to adjust that it might rip the strap hook off my horns! 😂

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,633 Posts
Now I've heard the Adorence strap is good, but it's a different strap from a different maker. Don't want that to get misconstrued.
I had one for a while. It was red and actually looked pretty cool. I found the metal bars were less annoying than on a Balam, but they still dug into either my chest or my back. The most annoying thing for me, though, was the slippage. Somehow, I had to readjust the length constantly because the buckle kept slipping. Nice craftsmanship, though.

These days I alternate between a Neotech Classic and a Sax Holder Pro. The Sax Holder isn't amazing for sitting down, but it's workable. I like the neotech because I can throw it into the washing machine.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts