Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would like to concur with Mark's sentiments above (see post #18). While I use the Cebulla myself I choose the Just Joe's neck strap of the Boston Sax Shop Balam harness for others. Personally I find the Cebulla more than fine - but - I rarely if ever have a sax on my neck more than an hour. If I didn't have the Cebulla I would undoubtedly opt for a Just Joe's.

Neck straps and harnesses have been discussed here endlessly but to receive a first hand opinion / appraisal / review such as this above is pretty terrific. I recall asking all the women players here what they were using before choosing a gift of another player. The input of the women here was fabulous and greatly appreciated.

Physically were are all different and some will find neck straps more than fine while others will much prefer the weight carried by their shoulders.

Regards

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,129 Posts
Bought a Joe’s a few years ago, but I don’t like the “dog leash” connector on it, and don’t feel it jives well with my cervical stenosis. Will be posting it for sale…

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bought a Joe’s a few years ago, but I don’t like the “dog leash” connector on it, and don’t feel it jives well with my cervical stenosis. Will be posting it for sale…
When I got mine he offered a choice of hooks. I got a plastic one because I don't like how the metal hooks scratch up the horn.

·
Premium Member
Vintage Yamaha Tenor and Alto
18 Posts
Just Joe +1, It's comfortable but it a bit sticky on my skin when I want to take off from my neck after I playing 2~3hrs. Anyone have this situation? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I used Oleg straps for quite a while, before that Ray Hyman wide straps in college. I tried a just joes strap and love them, been using them for at least the last five years. Even bought a spare. I do have a saxholder harness as well, used it a few years ago when I had a pinched nerve in my neck. But the just Joe’s is awesome. Also have a couple of dejacques straps in my case as a back up in case I forget to put my usual just joes in the case, which has happened…🤪

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
FYI for sitting you can telescope the belly bar up all the way on the newer model saxholder. I have no problem sitting with the tenor to the side that way. As far as its arguably dorky visual style, I actually had an audience member compliment me on it lol! But a kind of trick you can use is to wear an open button-down shirt over it so that mostly only the cord is sticking out. (T-shirt under.)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I asked Joe to fit a regular hook to the one I bought coz' I too detest that dog leash type clasps. The makers of the Cebulla also were kind enough to fit a regular hook for me.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,742 Posts
I asked Joe to fit a regular hook to the one I bought coz' I too detest that dog leash type clasps. The makers of the Cebulla also were kind enough to fit a regular hook for me.
Yes, you can specify this when you're ordering them. I have two Just Joe's and they both have regular (open) metal hooks

When I got mine he offered a choice of hooks. I got a plastic one because I don't like how the metal hooks scratch up the horn.
He includes a piece of tubing on the metal hook, which keeps it from wearing away the hook ring. Otherwise, I've never had a problem with metal hooks scratching up the horn (I don't really understand how that would happen in practice).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I mostly use the SaxHolder Pro (both standing/sitting); Just Joe's does allow for more freedom in posture but still has some pressure on the neck. It seems the Marmaduke is another good option to consider. Thanks for the info!

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for the review. I’m simply impressed you rounded up so many top tier straps. I’ll order the Marmaduke and see how it goes.
I’ve collected them over the years. It’s astonishing how the comparison between the different straps brings out subtle qualities in them. It’s like comparing bed sheets. The first set of cotton sheets might feel perfect, but when that set is compared to a more elegant set, the first set seems uncomfortable when just moments before it felt just fine. The straps hold there own until they’re compared to another strap.

The only strap I almost completely forget about is the Marmaduke. But that’s based on my build. Others might find it less than ideal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,387 Posts
The Just Joe’s is my top two as well - actually, I have three of ‘em.

I gave away the rest of my straps to people that bought mouthpieces from me.

Good to see that you are playing enough to warrant finding a comfortable neck strap, Ben. All the best to ya!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,152 Posts
the ray hyman dosnt slip once you get it where you want it and it lasts a life time. it also is perfect length for both alto and tenor . it never bothered my neck if i was wearing a shirt with a collar which was mor e often than not for gigs.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The Just Joe’s is my top two as well - actually, I have three of ‘em.

I gave away the rest of my straps to people that bought mouthpieces from me.

Good to see that you are playing enough to warrant finding a comfortable neck strap, Ben. All the best to ya!
Thanks, George. I’m doing everything in my power to stay on top of it. Stay well!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a sax holder, just joe’s, and a cebulla, and the just joe’s is far and away the best of the bunch. The only exception is when I played bari, when the saxholder had the advantage

·
Registered
717 Posts
Interesting -- it seems the SaxHolder Pro is one someone loves or hates. I use it (standing) for my bari sax and find it to be great. As comfortable as a harness, but way easier to get on and off, especially under a jacket. Furthermore, it easily fits in the bari's bell.

For tenor and alto, I like Just Joe's, or this $22 version I found on amazon, which is as comfortable.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,336 Posts
I've used the Just Joe's strap for the past several years. I have two of them. One hangs off a lamp in the room where I practice and gets used for practicing. The other resides in the case and stays there for use on gigs. This way, the 'gig strap' never gets left behind at home.

Prior to the JJ strap, I used a Cebulla strap, and it is almost as comfortable. The one problem I found with the Cebulla strap is over time the cushioned part that rests on the back of your neck gets compressed and becomes less comfortable. The Just Joe's strap does not compress. I've had it long enough to know it lasts.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts