Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing the saxophone for nearly 3 years now, and I am currently in Grade 8 of High School. Its definitely time for me to upgrade to a new saxophone, and I am able to get a brand new B&S 3239gs/l for $2795 CDN, while on the internet I have been able to find a user selling the alto saxophone for $3400 USD. There is also another Intermediate Yamaha Alto Saxophone I saw at Long and McQuade for $1,550 if I remember correctly. I was previously using a cheap saxophone from a local shop that had plently of leaks etc. What would fit my situation, (see below), and is the B&S worth the 800 dollars? The saxophone will be used for both the Concert band and the Jazz band.

Another thing is that I'm really trying hard to get into the Junior Jazz Band, which my band director says that rarely Grade 8's enter into. The school I go to, is best known for its "Music", so my parents have been keen about me doing well in Music. Personally, I enjoy playing jazz and playing the saxophone, and the competition in the band well probably be fierce since I'm playing the Alto. If I get the Yamaha is it good enough for the Jazz band? Any tips or suggestions in how to get into the jazz band?

Also, I currently have a Meyer 5M mouthpiece that I'm currently using, how will it sound with the B&S saxophone or Yamaha? The mouthpiece I have used for around 2 years now, and I've been using it for both concert band and playing jazz music myself. Should I use the stock mouthpiece that comes with the B&S or Yamaha? Or stick with my Meyer 5M for both? Will it pierce through the band? or fit in?

Overall, I'm just pretty overwhelmed by High School, and would like to hear some suggestions from you guys. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
There is no way you should buy a B&S for over $3400 US dollars. You can get a Selmer Serie II for that. If you have a $3400 budget, you should just get one of those, or a new Yamaha, Keilworth, or a vintage horn (Martin, Conn, King, etc) if you can find one. If you are not wanting to be a pro musician in the future, the Yamaha you mentioned would be great for what you want.

The Meyer should be good for it, but you need to play it and see. The Meyer will be good for jazz, but you should consider something else for concert, like a Selmer C*, Vandoren AL3 (or AL4) and, especially with a Yamaha, a Rousseau New Classic NC4.

Just my two cents, good luck.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I have a C*, that doens't look like its been used that much. Yours for X, make me an offer!!!
I agree with Martinman you have a 3000 USD budget plus. Then you need to get a Selmer. Or a Yani, just got a Yani Alto, and after the work I need to get put into it, its going to be a KILLA!!!!

Best of luck.
~Carbs

Play some horns, and the one you like best, play it.

·
4,147 Posts
Eewww, Carbs you got a Yani? Blech.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Best Alto I could find in my nonexistent budget at the moment. It was that or a Barrington or a Bandaidnow. I was about to put a large amount of money into savings for a horn later on in life when this caught my eye. Dang nice horn for the price of a Selmann.

·
4,147 Posts
Carbs said:
Best Alto I could find in my nonexistent budget at the moment. It was that or a Barrington or a Bandaidnow. I was about to put a large amount of money into savings for a horn later on in life when this caught my eye. Dang nice horn for the price of a Selmann.

If you say so... I guess I would rather play a Yanigsuckwa than the hopelessly out of tune student model Conn I have. But that is why I have the Selmer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So should I get the B&S for $2795 CDN instead of the Intermediate Yamaha? And no, I do not have a $3000 US budget. Plus I've been browsing the Yamaha forums and I have found two horns: YAS-275 or the YAS-475. Believe it is the 275 as the 475 is selling for around $1700 USD on WWBW.

The B&S company is now gone, so what happens if anything happens to my horn? What happens if anything happens down the road? Also, around how long should I bring in my horn for basic tune-ups etc? Every 3/4 months?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
theone said:
So should I get the B&S for $2795 CDN instead of the Intermediate Yamaha?
That is an insane price for a B&S considering last year's fire sale of its stencils. As someone already said, you can get a second hand Series II Selmer for less than that. Much less.

·
4,147 Posts
Do not get the B&S for the price you have. That is a rip-off. The YAS-475 is the one you want, or even a YAS 62 or Custom, if you can afford it.

What is your exact budget? This would help us out greatly, especially if you could tell us in US dollars, since I am a lazy American.;)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Martinman said:
If you say so... I guess I would rather play a Yanigsuckwa than the hopelessly out of tune student model Conn I have. But that is why I have the Selmer.
Uhh, A Yanagisawa is more than good enough for a chap by the name of Peter King (among many others):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tRtPr1cDEg

I think it will do the job nicely.:cool:

·
4,147 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Uhh, A Yanagisiwa is more than good enough for a chap by the name of Peter King (among many others):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tRtPr1cDEg

I think it will do the job nicely.:cool:

Maybe Peter King is good enough for the Yani:cool:

And I don't hate all Yani's, just the altos and tenors which have this wierd timbre.

I play an Antigua soprano, so...

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
To each his own brother.

By the way, my horns of choice are The Martin Committees. I have a number of them.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
So what is your budget? You are quoting saxes for (USD) $1,550.00, $2,651.00 and $3,400.00. That's quite a range. What's your top dollar amount? Suggestions for saxes in the $1,500.00 range and the $3,400.00 range will probably be different. Please be more specific.

Regarding your mpc. the Meyer should be fine. Just keep working with it. If your sound is too loud or bright in concert band, experiment with reeds, such as Vandoren (go down one strength from what you normally use) or Hemkes. But it will probably be as much an embouchure-breath control issue as it is a reed/mpc issue.

And dear friends, harrumph. If you're going to send someone on a sax quest at least give them the right spellings for the instruments.
There is no such thing as a Yani.
Well, maybe ___

Anyway, theone - they are referring to Yanagisawas and Keilwerths.

Also, IMO the comments about the "Yani"s (Yanagisawas) is just off the mark. Chuck Norris may not like them (they're not my first choice either) but that hardly rules them out as a choice for you. They are excellent instruments and there are fine players getting great sounds out of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
theone said:
I am able to get a brand new B&S 3239gs/l for $2795 CDN, .
I just got a 7 month old barely played B&S stencil Allora alto off ebay for $1120 US including shipping, plus about $60CDN to import it. So total cost $~1240 CDN. I'm very impressed with it, although only had it a day or so, so not a long term impression. One thing for sure though is this is NOT an intermediate horn. It screams top quality to me.

Anyway, based on whats out there $2800 seems a lot to pay. There is a B&S 2001 now on ebay listed at $1500, which is perhaps overpriced although that one has the adjustable palm keys. Yan(i/a) 901s can be got from Kessler music for less than $2k, and used Selmer SA80s are in that ballpark. The B&S at the used market price is a stellar deal if you ask me (but dont, Im obviously biased, having just parted with my hard earned cash for one what else would I say) Replacement parts are a non issue, How many people ever need to replace a part rather than repair, and like vintage horns where parts are scarce, if necessary a tech can fabricate something in a pinch.

·
4,147 Posts
gary said:
And dear friends, harrumph. If you're going to send someone on a sax quest at least give them the right spellings for the instruments.
There is no such thing as a Yani.
Well, maybe ___

Anyway, theone - they are referring to Yanagisawas and Keilwerths.

Also, IMO the comments about the "Yani"s (Yanagisawas) is just off the mark. Chuck Norris may not like them (they're not my first choice either) but that hardly rules them out as a choice for you. They are excellent instruments and there are fine players getting great sounds out of them.

Isn't that a Yanni?

Yea, yea, to each his own...just be sure you like the sound and intonation of whatever you decide to buy.

·
27,650 Posts
Martinman said:
Isn't that a Yanni?
Or maybe it's a Yawni

:twisted:

·
4,147 Posts
gary said:
Or maybe it's a Yawni

:twisted:

That guy looks like he is about to puke all over a Yanigasawa.

·
27,650 Posts
Martinman said:
That guy looks like he is about to puke all over a Yanigasawa.
YanAgIsawa. :violent1:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts